Do your mudflaps touch the paint at all?

Shiftman

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 XLT with Tremor kit
Current Ride #2
1984 Nissan Sentra 1.7L diesel
I know mudflaps have been discussed a lot and I've read most of the threads on here. For the guys with the molded mudflaps (Weathertech and Ford), do they actually contact the paint on the fender molding/flares? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen. Weathertech instructions don't mention any PPF, so I assume they don't contact paint?
I had a set of Husky flaps on an 04 Dodge and they ended up rubbing the paint down to the primer where they wrapped around the outside of the fender. It's for that reason that I went to Duraflaps for my 2018 Ram, but they are a little overpriced, IMO, for a straight (flat) mudflap--although the fitment was great.

Thanks for any help. I feel like I need something pretty quick, since these tires like to throw rocks. Hoping my Fordpass points will drop soon, so maybe I can get the OEM Ford flaps for free.
P.S. How long is it supposed to take to get Fordpass points?

Yes, I have weathertechs installed and do have paint protection on my flares so rubbing or paint chaffing is a non issue. Without p/p I suppose it could rub the paint IDK. Just add p/p added to your flares, boom done!.. no concerns after.
My Ford points were downloaded onto my Ford Pass app on delivery day. Call and talk to your sales person.

Last edited:
I have the Weathertechs on mine as well. I do not have PPF, however the mud flaps came with a small precut set to put on the paint behind the flaps. Worked out great. My only suggestion is to ask for the correct length screws for the fronts because the reuse of the OEM ones as per their directions did not work for me.
6C099481-AE69-4CF7-9BBC-17E3D7D5A639.jpeg
61B5FB38-3A96-410B-860C-8000D8D1BE48.jpeg
8152DC17-3407-43F4-8BC8-465BFE87779C.jpeg
1DFB1D5F-CCB8-4082-A6A8-58553C0AD35C.jpeg

Yes the I have weathertechs installed and do have paint protection on my flares so rubbing or paint chaffing is a non issue. Without p/p I suppose it could rub the paint IDK. Just add p/p added to your flares, boom done!.. no concerns after.
My Ford points were downloaded onto my Ford Pass app on delivery day. Call and talk to your sales person.
My Weathertechs came with some PPF to apply before you install the mud flaps if you need it it but what Patriot said. Get it on all the forward facing surfaces also.

Have there been any comparisons side by side of Weather tech vs. OEM ford? Curious about size difference.

Back