Do you NEED the dual battery for the winch?

BigBlockFord

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
All i found a near perfectly optioned (for me) tremor on the lot but it does not have the dual battery option. Does anyone have the winch installed without the dual battery option? I know the 2021 build site requires u to add dual battery when adding the winch option. But i know people who ordered 2020’s didnt have the winch available on the configurator and dealers ordered it separately so im assuming a number of people ordered there truck without dual battery but with the winch.

All i found a near perfectly optioned (for me) tremor on the lot but it does not have the dual battery option. Does anyone have the winch installed without the dual battery option? I know the 2021 build site requires u to add dual battery when adding the winch option. But i know people who ordered 2020’s didnt have the winch available on the configurator and dealers ordered it separately so im assuming a number of people ordered there truck without dual battery but with the winch.
The last truck I had with a winch on it had a single battery didn’t have any problems as long as the trucks running I’m sure you could go to the parts department and order a battery tray and cables to add on with a secondary battery if you need to

If you add it yourself probably not
If dealerships install and you want factory warranty probably.

I don't know if we can even get the parts for the winch yet or at all.

Last edited:

You should order one and get what you want and not have regrets later.

Do you "need" the 2nd battery.... no. Since you're asking about Dual batteries I assume you have a 7.3 not the 6.7. Should you "have" a dual battery setup.... it's a "nice to have" as it provides a larger reserve of 12V energy for the winch to drain AMPs from. Depending on the winch and the load you're pulling, a winch can suck power at a rate of 400+ AMPs and if you're talking about the factory battery, it can be drained quite quickly and get damaged if not careful with the winch. Anyways the 2nd battery gives you a larger energy reserve which in theory doubles the time available for winching.

That being said another thing to consider besides a 2nd battery is having a higher output alternator. A higher output alternator can refill the energy reserves faster than a stock output alternator. When performing high amp draw winching for extended periods of time it's possible to take battery levels so low that you can damage a battery to a point where it will never get back to a full recharge cycle.

When winching - Best case scenario is to have as much alternator charging available and energy reserves as possible. For example - the 6.7 w/ the Dual Alternators and Dual Batteries provides a better setup for winching because of the high AMP output of the alternators to recharge the batteries and the dual batteries provide plenty of energy reserves. For a 7.3 you can add an aftermarket dual battery setup and probably change your OEM alternator to a higher-amp aftermarket alternator however adding a 2nd alternator to a 7.3 is probably more hassle than it's worth.

But do you need a 2nd battery?.... No. it will still work, just for less time. Just be careful and try not to discharge your battery below 50% as it might never recover back to 100% charge. Some aftermarket batteries are better suited to large high-amp draw loads and can recover from repeated low voltage situations.... those batteries are typically more expensive that OEM batteries but that's because they're specialized.

Do you "need" the 2nd battery.... no. Since you're asking about Dual batteries I assume you have a 7.3 not the 6.7. Should you "have" a dual battery setup.... it's a "nice to have" as it provides a larger reserve of 12V energy for the winch to drain AMPs from. Depending on the winch and the load you're pulling, a winch can suck power at a rate of 400+ AMPs and if you're talking about the factory battery, it can be drained quite quickly and get damaged if not careful with the winch. Anyways the 2nd battery gives you a larger energy reserve which in theory doubles the time available for winching.

That being said another thing to consider besides a 2nd battery is having a higher output alternator. A higher output alternator can refill the energy reserves faster than a stock output alternator. When performing high amp draw winching for extended periods of time it's possible to take battery levels so low that you can damage a battery to a point where it will never get back to a full recharge cycle.

When winching - Best case scenario is to have as much alternator charging available and energy reserves as possible. For example - the 6.7 w/ the Dual Alternators and Dual Batteries provides a better setup for winching because of the high AMP output of the alternators to recharge the batteries and the dual batteries provide plenty of energy reserves. For a 7.3 you can add an aftermarket dual battery setup and probably change your OEM alternator to a higher-amp aftermarket alternator however adding a 2nd alternator to a 7.3 is probably more hassle than it's worth.

But do you need a 2nd battery?.... No. it will still work, just for less time. Just be careful and try not to discharge your battery below 50% as it might never recover back to 100% charge. Some aftermarket batteries are better suited to large high-amp draw loads and can recover from repeated low voltage situations.... those batteries are typically more expensive that OEM batteries but that's because they're specialized.
Thank you very much for this post!

I have a single in my Jeep Ruby and its fine BUT consider the winch in the Tremor is much larger will draw more power.
I like the dual battery set ups. I know two batteries to replace however you have a $60-80k truck what's a couple hundred bucks over 5-6 years????

Back