Do I really want a Tremor??

CForest

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
So I'm getting ready to order a 22 super duty. Currently have a 13 F250 with the 6.2 gas. Been a great rig but time to upgrade. Trying to decide on regular fx4 or the tremor.... I have to drive a LOT of gravel roads unfortunately. Most of which are quite rough with washboards. So ride quality is my first priority. While the tremor looks sweet, I'm fine with how standard ones look too. I don't really care so much about the highway ride, which is what most of the ride quality threads discuss.
My 2nd concern is for the wife and kids getting in and out of of slightly lifted tremor. Anyone's wives complain about that?? Mine is pretty worried about getting them in and out of carseats.
I got a quote on a tremor. But not on a fx4, so I'm not sure how much of a true upgrade price it is. Part of me wants to get the tremor, to look cool and never have to wonder what if the the ride is actually better. But another part of me wants to save the 4k, I most likely wouldn't upgrade tires and wheels on a standard one anyways. I go through tires way too often as is haha.

Open to any advice. Looking at a lariat value level with the 7.3 fyi.

So I'm getting ready to order a 22 super duty. Currently have a 13 F250 with the 6.2 gas. Been a great rig but time to upgrade. Trying to decide on regular fx4 or the tremor.... I have to drive a LOT of gravel roads unfortunately. Most of which are quite rough with washboards. So ride quality is my first priority. While the tremor looks sweet, I'm fine with how standard ones look too. I don't really care so much about the highway ride, which is what most of the ride quality threads discuss.
My 2nd concern is for the wife and kids getting in and out of of slightly lifted tremor. Anyone's wives complain about that?? Mine is pretty worried about getting them in and out of carseats.
I got a quote on a tremor. But not on a fx4, so I'm not sure how much of a true upgrade price it is. Part of me wants to get the tremor, to look cool and never have to wonder what if the the ride is actually better. But another part of me wants to save the 4k, I most likely wouldn't upgrade tires and wheels on a standard one anyways. I go through tires way too often as is haha.

Everything I’ve seen (still waiting for my truck and I have an F-150 now so won’t have a comparison) is that the ride isn’t all that much better. Tremor is still good value if you care about the other things it comes with, but I wouldn’t recommend it purely for comfort.

Best two things you can do for washboard comfort are airing down and upgrading the suspension (best option is widely regarded as Carli). But those can both be done with a regular Super Duty.

Note the suspension option will give you a lifted truck, but the reason for that according to Carli is that the truck has so little front end travel they need to increase that to have anything to work with. Cheap level/lift kits probably won’t get you a much better ride, just a better stance. Though you could get larger tires with that stance which can improve the ride.

They do sit pretty high up. Loading kids in car seats may be a bit challenging so I would definately get the power running boards. They are far more usable than standard fixed running boards and make a big difference getting in and out.

Ride quality on dirt roads will be the same on either FX4 or Tremor. That's really a matter of suspension and tire pressure on these heavy trucks. I personally think if you decide against the Tremor, you will wish you had opted for it after you own the FX4. BTW either way you go you will love the 7.3. Something to consider is that you will be limited to the 4.30 gears with the Tremor and the FX4 may allow you to choose 3.73 or 3.55 gears.

It would be hard to drive both to compare. I suspect the FX4 F250 rides a little better than the Tremor but that's just a hunch. The regular will certainly be easier to get into unless you get the power running boards which evens the playing field, soto speak. If you don't need the Tremor's extra clearance then I don't see it being worth 4K to you.

For the height, the current Tremor height is the same as the standard 4WD 17-19 Super Duties. The 20+ MY Super Duties are a couple inches lower than the 17-19, and not too different from the prior generation.

If you're looking for comfort, you're looking at the wrong truck. You'll want something smaller. High load range LT tires are notoriously stiff. You can't really get away from that with a 3/4 ton truck. That being said, if you do need a 3/4 ton truck, the comfort level on the Tremor is pretty good in my books. The seats do help a lot. I say that because the rest of the truck feels pretty stiff. Just be sure to lower the tire pressure on the rear if you're not towing. Otherwise, you'll be in for a very bouncy ride. Regardless, the Tremor doesn't come with super special suspension. It can always be swapped out just like the FX4 or standard 4x4.

Also, do remember some of that $4k is going to an F350 rear end (high cap tow package). If you don't need that, the ride in the back will be softer, and you'll save some cash.

Regardless which truck you get, if you want to tame down the ride on rough roads, the Sulastic Shackles are said to make a big difference. These are available for all heavy duty pickup models.

1623904819087.png

I would go with the tremor gone down several dirt roads with washboard’s been a smooth ride so far and we have the electric steps haven’t had any problems loading kids in the car seats

I drove both the FX4 and Tremor when I was looking. I could not tell the difference. They both ride like heavy duty 3/4 ton trucks.

Use the Build and Price tool to build the same truck as a FX4 and a Tremor. I did and the difference was around $1,300.00 for my Lariat and the Tremor had stuff the FX4 could not have that costs way more than the difference on the open market. The exact amount is posted here someplace.

Get a step stool if needed.

Shorter and significantly-overweight folks can have a challenge with the fixed Tremor running boards. I carry a small plastic stool for height challenged passengers that plan to ride in the rear. I'm 6'6", so I love it. In hind-sight, I would've done the powered running boards, but the wife thought the fixed ones looked cooler.

All good info guys thanks a bunch keep it coming.
Online it seems as tho the power boards are only available with the ultimate package?? Is that correct??
My dad has an 18 fx4 xlt, and if the height really is similar to that then it wouldn't be so bad.
Those Sulastic shackles look like a great idea. I'll be trying them for sure.

okay, background- coming from 2016 f150. frequently drive down dirt and gravel roads at moderate speed 40-50 mph

7.3 xlt tremor. : height, my wife has complained about height getting in and out but its not bad, especially if you opt for power running boards. but the stock boards are amazing, very usable. i use them to step in and out and never have an issue with getting my size 11.5 work boots on them.

car seats: Im 6'1" and i stand on the boards to buckle my oldest in. i can do it without the boards but its easier to stand on them.

ride quality, i drove a 7.3 fx4 on a test drive and highway wise it felt the same.
the tremor is rougher than my f150 fx4 that had 35's. but honestly not that much rougher.

GEARS: after driving a 7.3 with 3.55s i cannot recommend enough to get the 4.30. period. night and day difference going from a stop.

for you, as best i can tell. get the fx4 with 4.30, thats probably what i SHOULD have done, BUT you wont get the tremor running boards. i dont think the stock fx4 boards are as user friendly. so if you factor in upgrading the boards aftermarket, and opting for 4.30, youre approaching the cost of a tremor. soooo Get the tremor :) either way carseats and loading isnt going to be all that much different between the two

I have a 17' 6.2 w/ plow prep springs and a 3 and 5yr old, my take:

Order non-tremor w/ 4.30 (I like the way they shift, accelerate and drive compared to 3.55/3.73 trucks). Order a truck w/ 18" wheel. Drive and if you still want a smoother ride consider taller tire, tuned shocks from carli or accutune, progressive rate springs from carli or icon. I drive washboard gravel roads occasionally and you don't want 20" wheels like I have.

My 3 and 5yr old have been able to crawl into my truck since 2-3yrs old unassisted and I prefer securing them in my truck compared to my camry (more space to move around). I have the factory fixed chrome boards. The ford power deployable or Amp boards would hang down further yet. My truck measures about 82.5-83" at highest point on roof and am running 285/65r20, similar to tremor height. A 20'+ plus non tremor should be lower than this, you could also run a smaller block in the rear to a lower further if need be.

Here is a prime example of why I need the super duty. My wife has an f150 and they are awesome and do ride much better. But for work I need a bigger rig.
In regards to the ride height I would be fine if it is somewhat close to mine currently. The tremor just looks so much taller. But I've never had them next to each other to really compare. Also if it was very similar to my dad's 18 fx4 then that's fine too. Would definitely consider the power boards but I don't really want to jump up the ultimate just so I can get them
Snapchat-1054850418.jpg

I had a 2021 rapid red tremor I really like the truck but my wife is 5’1 and she didn’t like getting in and out of it. I ordered a new tremor with power boards they drop lower than the off-road boards hopefully she will like this one better. Just got my build week of 8/2

I'm 5'8", my 13yr old is 5'7", my wife is 5'6" and my 17yr old is 5'4". We're all vanilla midgets. None of us have any trouble getting in and out, though everyone else in my family tends to slide out of their seats to the ground (which drives me crazy). I do get the occasional comment about ascending the truck to get in.

Latest Discussions

Back