Do I need Hub Rings With Methods?

Big John Son

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
1991 Prius
I'm wondering what you guys running lug centric wheels are doing. Specifically with Methods. Do I need Hub Rings?

As far as I know, no. Where you purchase your wheels from will have definite answer....

I'm wondering what you guys running lug centric wheels are doing. Specifically with Methods. Do I need Hub Rings?
I am running Methods 305 NV 18x9 +18 offset...I installed them myself....WTF are HUB rings???????

I am running Methods 305 NV 18x9 +18 offset...I installed them myself....WTF are HUB rings???????

OEM wheels fit the hub with no play. The vertical weight of the truck is supported by the wheel hub rather than the lug bolts. Hub rings fill the gap for after market wheels so the lugs are not carrying the load. They also apparently help center the wheel to the hub to eliminate any risk of it being off center and causing a shimmy.

I honestly don't know how necissary they are though. Hence my inquiry here.

Google 'Hub Cenric' vs 'Lug Centric' for a better understanding.

Last edited:
OEM wheels fit the hub with no play. The vertical weight of the truck is supported by the wheel hub rather than the lug bolts. Hub rings fill the gap for after market wheels so the lugs are not carrying the load. They also apparently help center the wheel to the hub to eliminate any risk of it being off center and causing a shimmy.

I honestly don't know how necessary they are though. Hence my inquiry here.
There is a gap for sure...and the Methods center caps install from the rear of the wheel and kind of fill that space. But up front I did not use them or anything else. Tire Rack gave me everything required for the entire install including detailed instructions. And there was no mention of them. Been driving for 6 weeks on them...smooth as silk (with Full Blown MT Tires.)

There is a gap for sure...and the Methods center caps install from the rear of the wheel and kind of fill that space. But up front I did not use them or anything else. Tire Rack gave me everything required for the entire install including detailed instructions. And there was no mention of them. Been driving for 6 weeks on them...smooth as silk (with Full Blown MT Tires.)

This is why I inquired, because I want to run caps that install from the back. I got machined wheels. Yours look great without caps, mine will not. I'm more concerned with the stress off-roading may induce on the lugs.

This is why I inquired, because I want to run caps that install from the back. I got machined wheels. Yours look great without caps, mine will not. I'm more concerned with the stress off-roading may induce on the lugs.
What does your wheel guy say? I’ve yet to here any complaints about the lug centric Method Wheels.

Method websight shows the 600 series as being hub centric bcecause of the bolt on center cap. The 300 series uses a push thru cap which would interfere with the wheel ID and the hub OD mating together. So those wheels are lug centric. Hope this helps.

I have 18x9 methods -12mm offset, no Hub Rings...

Back