Do I need a matching spare tire?

stp07030

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 f350 Lariat Tremor
Hi all, I am going with the tires and wheels below. My understanding is that the new tires are slightly shorter than stock. If I get a matching spare I would mount it on the stock spare wheel.
1. Do i need a matching spare or would the stock work in a jam?
2. Is the stock TREMOR spare wheel the same size as the other stock wheels (18x9)?
3. Would the new 35x12.5x18 tires fit in the spare storage space?
Thanks
Tires: nitto-ridge-grappler 35x12.5x18
Wheels: method 305 NV HD 18x9, 8-170, +18 offset (HD version 4500lb load capacity)
Stock (285x75x18…..18x9, +40offset)

Ive heard the spare is the same tire as oem on the truck. Is it the same wheel too? It be nice rotate all 5 to get the most miles on your tires. I got 70k miles on my BFG MT by doing this.

Be warned. The spare tire rim can NOT use the lugs required for Method rims. If you are keeping a stock spare, carry your factory lug nuts.

Ive heard the spare is the same tire as oem on the truck. Is it the same wheel too? It be nice rotate all 5 to get the most miles on your tires. I got 70k miles on my BFG MT by doing this.
Thanks...I am not sure if the spare wheel is the same or not?

ALL the tires have to be the same size (even the spare) because when you are in 4x4 if one tire is a different size you could blow up your transfer case or transmission because the the wheels will be rotating at different speeds

ALL the tires have to be the same size (even the spare) because when you are in 4x4 if one tire is a different size you could blow up your transfer case or transmission because the the wheels will be rotating at different speeds
ok thanks....anyone know if the stock spare is also 18x9, +40offset?

Even in 4x4 is not engaged?

As an old tire guy a close size spare will get you home, do not engage the locker or 4x4 and be prepared for odd anti local and traction control behavior. Keeps speeds low and leave reaction distance as quick vehicle inputs will cause systems to engage when they should not.

Get the right size tire on ASAP and replace in at least sets of two unless you can maintain a 10% circumference match between left and right.

That all being said it would probably be fine for quite a while if you drive around normally like that but it will add to wear and tear and it could cause damage.

As for rotating all 5 tires the spare is a steel wheel in the same size as far as I can tell but it does not have a pressure sensor.

In your situation I would keep the stock spare unless it was really old or I got a good deal on 5 tires.

A small difference in tire circumference left to right, due to the temporary use of a spare tire, will not damage anything. The stock DuraTrac has a rev/mile of 593 according to Goodyear's site. The Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5R18 calculates out to 580ish (based on Nitto's 34.76" published inflated diameter from their website). But that may be without accounting for a squish factor, so it could be closer to that 593, if they're not including that. I didn't find a direct rev/mile for the Nitto.

Giant disclaimer... I'm just basing this on what I found for the two tires via a quick web search. I very well could be wrong. Did you find a larger disparity in tire size somewhere between the stock and Nitto tires? Based on the website info, its less than a 2.5% difference.

As an old tire guy a close size spare will get you home, do not engage the locker or 4x4 and be prepared for odd anti local and traction control behavior. Keeps speeds low and leave reaction distance as quick vehicle inputs will cause systems to engage when they should not.

Get the right size tire on ASAP and replace in at least sets of two unless you can maintain a 10% circumference match between left and right.

That all being said it would probably be fine for quite a while if you drive around normally like that but it will add to wear and tear and it could cause damage.

As for rotating all 5 tires the spare is a steel wheel in the same size as far as I can tell but it does not have a pressure sensor.

In your situation I would keep the stock spare unless it was really old or I got a good deal on 5 tires.
Thank you

A small difference in tire circumference left to right, due to the temporary use of a spare tire, will not damage anything. The stock DuraTrac has a rev/mile of 593 according to Goodyear's site. The Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5R18 calculates out to 580ish (based on Nitto's 34.76" published inflated diameter from their website). But that may be without accounting for a squish factor, so it could be closer to that 593, if they're not including that. I didn't find a direct rev/mile for the Nitto.

Giant disclaimer... I'm just basing this on what I found for the two tires via a quick web search. I very well could be wrong. Did you find a larger disparity in tire size somewhere between the stock and Nitto tires? Based on the website info, its less than a 2.5% difference.
From what i could find the difference is pretty small, thanks for the info!

when I bought my methods (same wheel) I bought 5, and although I have not put my spare under the truck yet...pretty sure it fits

Last edited:
when I bought my methods (same wheel) I bought 5, and although I have not put my spare under the truck yet...pretty sure it fits
Thanks....trying to decide if i want to spend the extra $ for the 5th method wheel....would be nice to do the 5 wheel rotation though...

I’m thinking of getting a factory rim, TPMS, and mounting my existing unused tire to make a real legit spare. Anyone know what happens when 5 tires have TPMS?

I had a Method spare on my 2018 Raptor, as well as a 35x1250x17 Toyo MT up in there. Peace of mind, and I didn't have to carry around factory lug nuts for just one wheel.

For different tire sizes, as others have stated, you would want to drive slowly and (preferably) not engage the 4x4 system. Don’t engage the locker. It’ll push you to one side (at best) or grenade your differential (at worst).

One thing to keep in mind is that a vehicle deals with differential wheel speeds all the time. Say you are turning a 40’ diameter circle in your truck. The inside wheel travels 125.6’. Since your track width is 80”, the outside wheel travels along a 46.7’ circle and travels 146.5’. That’s almost 17% more travel from one tire vs the other. In straight line terms, that would be the same a running a 35” tire on one side and a 30” tire on the other. Typically, your vehicle only does this for short periods of time at slow speeds (higher speed = shallower turn) which is why the recommendation is to drive slow. The closer the sizes are, the more normal you can drive but exact isn’t necessary for the spare.

Be warned. The spare tire rim can NOT use the lugs required for Method rims. If you are keeping a stock spare, carry your factory lug nuts.

I can't believe I never thought of this! I installed Methods and sold my old wheels and lugs, while keeping the factory spare. How bad would it have sucked to get a flat out in BFE, jack it up, pull out the spare, swap the flat out with the spare only to then find the lugs don't work!!! :oops: I can't imagine the tapestry of curse words I would have woven!

I think I'm going to go get another Method + Nitto for the spare and rotate all 5. Can anyone answer the question of what happens with 5 TPMS on the truck? Does the system get confused or can it differentiate the spare location?

I can't believe I never thought of this! I installed Methods and sold my old wheels and lugs, while keeping the factory spare. How bad would it have sucked to get a flat out in BFE, jack it up, pull out the spare, swap the flat out with the spare only to then find the lugs don't work!!! :oops: I can't imagine the tapestry of curse words I would have woven!

I think I'm going to go get another Method + Nitto for the spare and rotate all 5. Can anyone answer the question of what happens with 5 TPMS on the truck? Does the system get confused or can it differentiate the spare location?
I have 5 Methods with TPMS and truck only reads the 4 on the truck. (I know this cause the spare has 80 PSI and I lowered the others to 59)

Thanks...I am not sure if the spare wheel is the same or not?
The spare wheel is an ugly, stamped steel wheel with no TPMS sensor. I've already had it on the ground. It error messages on the tire pressure warning constantly.

Ed

Back