DIY Winch installation?

Milo's Tremor

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Has anyone installed their own winch behind the bumper in a Tremor. Since the dealer can do it there must be space and mounting points. It would be nice to install my existing winch and save $3000. I can't check clearance for myself because I'm waiting for the truck to be delivered.

supposedly the bracket from ford moves the front bumper out 1/2 inch to clear the winch. larger frame winches like the 16.5 won't fit at all. the 12k sized ones will fit. don't know of anyone installing one on their own yet.

supposedly the bracket from ford moves the front bumper out 1/2 inch to clear the winch. larger frame winches like the 16.5 won't fit at all. the 12k sized ones will fit. don't know of anyone installing one on their own yet.

Curious where you heard about the bracket moving the bumper forward?

Anyway, I have my winch and will install myself. I won't have time to get started until after the 25th, I'll post the process with pics

Has anyone installed their own winch behind the bumper in a Tremor. Since the dealer can do it there must be space and mounting points. It would be nice to install my existing winch and save $3000. I can't check clearance for myself because I'm waiting for the truck to be delivered.

In looking at the parts package, I'd venture to say that this would be the only winch that will fit in there. Just my opinion at the moment based on looking at the install instructions and crawling under the truck to assess. This winch does not have the standard mounting pattern as many winches do. It's about 8 ⅛"X 4 ½". And everything looks pretty packed in to the tight space they allow. But I'll be installing it sometime after the 25th and will post

I will install the Ford winch probably end of year as my winter project.
But I plan to buy the kit from the dealership

Having set up a few on Jeeps and ATVs the kit from Ford is very clean. Other aftermarket kits look like an after thought. Unless you are a fabrication expert.

Curious where you heard about the bracket moving the bumper forward?

Anyway, I have my winch and will install myself. I won't have time to get started until after the 25th, I'll post the process with pics
This was from the parts manager at the dealership. He says that as part of the new super duty and winch roll out they received info from Ford about the set up. According to him the brackets move the bumper out a bit. Maybe those that have already done the install can verify or refute this

Back