DIY 3m clear bra

Jrod250

Tremor Addict
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Well I decided to do a DIY clear bra on the front 12 inches of my hood. How hard can it be?
I’ve watched the videos, I properly prepped the hood, properly mixed “slip solution and tack solution” and got to town with the help of my 3 year old.
Hahaha. And now it’s in the trash can.
I was doing so well too. I almost had it, but I’m a perfectionist and just couldn’t get it perfect

Attachments

• 297628A5-6C48-4508-B55A-F75D6F06DB59.jpeg
    297628A5-6C48-4508-B55A-F75D6F06DB59.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 5AD6C9CD-7053-4B54-A0A6-CD8A1D8B2CB1.jpeg
    5AD6C9CD-7053-4B54-A0A6-CD8A1D8B2CB1.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 104
Ah did you get the precut one with super duty cutout or just regular universal ppf? I’m going to do my own relatively soon but the precut templates. I have experience laying dirtbike graphics which are a dry application so a little different. I though about buying the xpel kits but for the cost I rather try on a cheaper options first. I’ll let you know how it goes ?

Just a generic kit. I had the super duty portion all pressed in perfect and 99% done flawlessly. Then I noticed a tiny piece of hair that I just couldn’t leave alone in the middle.
It all went to shit from there. I’ve done a dozens snowmobile wraps for friends and dealers which are 100000 times easier. The pieces are smaller and they are not clear, so you don’t see any imperfections under them.
I have another roll, so I’ll try again later

And my 3 year old helper MAY have made it a little hard too. Lol

Just a generic kit. I had the super duty portion all pressed in perfect and 99% done flawlessly. Then I noticed a tiny piece of hair that I just couldn’t leave alone in the middle.
It all went to shit from there. I’ve done a dozens snowmobile wraps for friends and dealers which are 100000 times easier. The pieces are smaller and they are not clear, so you don’t see any imperfections under them.
I have another roll, so I’ll try again later
Ah yeah that part is hard and one thing the pro guys have for sure if a much cleaner environment. Mainly want the bumper grille and hood done to avoid chips. Everything else is wear and tear lol

When PPF is concerned DIY means

DARN IT, YO!

The 'pros' might not have gone to Cal Tech but they didn't learn it overnight, either. I am leaning towards a DIY Xpel pre-cut for my bumper, headlights, and roof edge but I am going to pay a pro to do my fenders and doors where any tiny boo-boo will show big time.

If I just left the hair or string fiber then it would have been ok. I just couldn’t live with the flaw. I honestly don’t even know how it got under there. It wasn’t there, then it was. When I was spraying slip solution it must have worked it’s way under the film

Similar experience. I've done lots of vinyl stripes, graphics, Lamin-X headlight kits, the hood PPF was the hardest I've done. I also got it on, got it down, and just wasn't 100% satisfied (most people wouldn't have noticed the defects I noticed). I might try it again sometime in the future. Once it warms up and the pollen calms down I'll probably finish the bumper in my garage. It's not impossible, but not easy either.

It’s definitely very DIY. It’s just something that needs the right environment and a bit of experience. I think as long as you keep it wet with solution you can work it all day long or until you run out of patience. Which I’ll 100% admit that I’d. I think anyone with kids know how a “helper” can turn something as easy as changing a light bulb into a near death experience. Lol

Don’t they say big pieces are hardest?
That’s why I’ll pay someone to do my fenders and doors.
I’ll do it!! I have experience. Hahaha
the curves and valleys on the hood are the real hard part. I think the doors, fenders and box side would Easy with a 2nd person. The film is fairly inexpensive. Why not just buy a sheet and give it a go. If you mess up it doesn’t hurt anything

2nd go at it is coming much better. Just sinking the embossed “super duty” is a pain. I’m making progress though

Attachments

• 2B5E8B01-4050-4FCD-AC45-1A094B36465E.jpeg
    2B5E8B01-4050-4FCD-AC45-1A094B36465E.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 8012673F-1FCC-4CCE-AECF-CD01E77AD04F.jpeg
    8012673F-1FCC-4CCE-AECF-CD01E77AD04F.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 4FB19392-FD98-4AB5-A6A1-ADBFA1399488.jpeg
    4FB19392-FD98-4AB5-A6A1-ADBFA1399488.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 55
I bought a pre-cut kit for mine. It was the 3M self-healing film. That stuff is really thick and I gave up. I tried three separate pieces none of them came out well. The part cut for the hood was too short. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to stretch it but the stuff is thick and strong. $280 waste of money

You’re suppose to stretch it. Other then my letters I’m happy with how it did the 2nd time. I finally got the letters pretty good. I used a pin to push through and release the trapped water

Every professional started out as a beginner
Exactly but......most guys won't become a "professional" when you are only doing it on occasion. Can you get "good"...sure, but that's open to debate and depends on who's judging. I've seen a lot DIY projects that guys think turned out great, when it actually looks like Ray Charles and a grizzly bear collaborated to get the job done! LOL. I'm very particular and I like to tackle my own stuff and learn but there comes a point in time where you must step back and do the math, does this pay for me to continue or......do I just get the "professional" to do it.

Yeah I’m not paying someone $4k to put on PPF I can respected the hood bumper and grille for way less than that.
Exactly but......most guys won't become a "professional" when you are only doing it on occasion. Can you get "good"...sure, but that's open to debate and depends on who's judging. I've seen a lot DIY projects that guys think turned out great, when it actually looks like Ray Charles and a grizzly bear collaborated to get the job done! LOL. I'm very particular and I like to tackle my own stuff and learn but there comes a point in time where you must step back and do the math, does this pay for me to continue or......do I just get the "professional" to do it.
fair point but I still feel like 4-5k for ppf is nuts when I can repaint a damaged panel for a lot less.

Yeah I’m not paying someone $4k to put on PPF I can respected the hood bumper and grille for way less than that.

fair point but I still feel like 4-5k for ppf is nuts when I can repaint a damaged panel for a lot less.
I would agree completely!! Not sure who is charging that amount to do that!!! Around here it runs about 300 to 400 bucks!

In fact my last Platinum I decided I didn't want to deal with painted bumpers or even wrapping them so, I pulled them off and put chrome ones on!! I then took the painted ones and sold them and presto problem solved.

This truck did have the bumper wrapped and I'm going to give it a try and see how it does. If it works, great! if not, round two and bumpers are getting pulled again !

I think it’s about 1600 to have the whole front end done here. Yeah I guess it supposed to stretch but that stuff I had was so thick I couldn’t see it happening.

Latest Discussions

Back