Diesel Fuel Recommendation + Additives?

TejasTremor

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.3
I'm a newly minted owner of a 6.7 diesel. Frankly, I'm a bit confused about fuel. #1 versus #2, "Synergy Diesel Efficient" from Exxon, etc. I live in Dallas where it rarely gets below freezing.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the best type of diesel fuel? Should I be using additives? Is so, how frequently?

I'm a newly minted owner of a 6.7 diesel. Frankly, I'm a bit confused about fuel. #1 versus #2, "Synergy Diesel Efficient" from Exxon, etc. I live in Dallas where it rarely gets below freezing.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding the best type of diesel fuel? Should I be using additives? Is so, how frequently?
#1 is the winter fuel and # 2 and what we have in the warmer climates. I use only Exxon and Shell and will drive out of my way to get one or the other . I have never had any issues with either one and the plants are right here in the Houston area.

I don't know much either but was told that the "Synergy" from Exxon does not contain any recycled components like other diesels can. I try to use Exxon Synergy exclusively if I can. Also they have an APP that allows you to pull up to a pump and activate the pump and pay with your phone, no need to put your credit card in at all. Just pull up, activate, and pump. Also collects points for $$ off your future fill ups.

Archoil AR6500 has many loyal fans, including Jay Leno! LOL
Your manual says something to the effect that Ford does not recommend additives BUT if you use them they should be Motorcraft. Double LOL

I've been using Archoil AR6500 since the truck's 2nd fill up (first was from the Dealer when I bought it). No issues.... I've also thrown in the Friction Modifier additive during the first oil change which I did myself and the engine purrs nicely. Only once did the engine have a rough start and that was when it was 10 degrees outside which is understandable.... oh and no block heater.

I've nearly exclusively used Diesel from Shell, surprisingly Exxon's are scarce around me but you can throw a rock a hit a Shell station near me.

Archoil ar6500 rocks. Used it in my 6.0 powerstroke. Will use it when my 2021 F-350 6.7 Tremor arrives.

Got to keep that cp4.2 happy

owners manual doesn't suggest any need for this shit so I'm not planning to use it.

What is the supposed benefit here other than making your wallet fit in your pockets better?

owners manual doesn't suggest any need for this shit so I'm not planning to use it.

What is the supposed benefit here other than making your wallet fit in your pockets better?
That‘s your call, OP just asked for member suggestions. So we are offering up a few... ? thats what we do here. Sometimes...its best to just keep scrolling. ?

That‘s your call, OP just asked for member suggestions. So we are offering up a few... ? thats what we do here. Sometimes...its best to just keep scrolling. ?
I'm asking what the benefit is.

If every manufacturer recommends against using it, then what is the point of using it? What problems does it actually prevent vs marketing hype.

I said I'm not planning to use it, but that doesn't mean my mind wouldn't be changed if someone offered up some facts.

If every manufacturer recommends against using it, then what is the point of using it? What problems does it actually prevent vs marketing hype.

I said I'm not planning to use it, but that doesn't mean my mind wouldn't be changed if someone offered up some facts.
Cool...open mind...open the link and read up Bro, lots of great info. The link is provided. ?? You can even call opti-lube and they will answer all of your questions.

I am of the same mindset. If additives were needed, certainly the company who builds our trucks and performs all of the Engine warranty work for “free” up to 100K MILES would tell us what to use to cut down on their costs.

Please convince me otherwise.

They may not be 'needed' to ensure the engine lasts but it is not logical to presume that the additives could not make it run better. Just the cetane boost would justify it in my opinion. Since I'm not a petroleum chemist I can't say but, other than the cost, what could it hurt?

My brother in law has been running diesels for years (all big 3) and he swears by this stuff as a fuel additive. They have tons of “science” on their site backing up their claims. I’ve never tried it personally, but I’m considering giving it the Pepsi challenge.

Cool...open mind...open the link and read up Bro, lots of great info. The link is provided. ?? You can even call opti-lube and they will answer all of your questions.

Kind of hard to talk to the people selling you their additives and get a straight answer... Do you agree?

In my business, I “sell” my products to the most technology educated people in the world. I guarantee I can put any kind of spin on the story that is required to convince them mine are better than the competitor and they absolutely need them to keep their business running smoothly. (Whether it is true or not is a story for another day...)

Of course, I appreciate good marketing and brand development. I was only half joking about Jay Leno. I think he knows a lot about cars and I think he's a pretty standup guy. I doubt he is getting anything from Archoil for his endorsement other than products which doesn't amount to even pocket change for him.

Kind of hard to talk to the people selling you their additives and get a straight answer... Do you agree?

In my business, I “sell” my products to the most technology educated people in the world. I guarantee I can put any kind of spin on the story that is required to convince them mine are better than the competitor and they absolutely need them to keep their business running smoothly. (Whether it is true or not is a story for another day...)
No one is trying to convince you to use it Bro.
As mentioned we all are just answering the OP‘s original question. I spoke to a rep/tech at opti lube and a buddy of mine who is a diesel tech uses it. So I choose to as well.
If it’s not something you choose to use...it’s all good! ???

I use STP cleaner in my Cummins every few months 270k miles on it and I had a Ford mechanic tell me to use their cleaner every few months also adds a little extra lube to the fuel but I’m sure you could add nothing and be fine just trying to prolong my injectors if I can
1F0660E0-74D4-48EC-BC01-D316A62877C7.png
E99FC70C-AE4F-4BB3-A8FB-6A026C74A7ED.png

Diesel today lacks enough lubricity to keep our fuel pumps happy for a long time so adding lubricity to the fuel so the CP4 doesn't nuke your engine is enough reason to use it IMO.... One bottle of the Archoil stuff lasts 400-500 gallons of fuel so when you extrapolate the added cost per fill up we're talking peanuts...

Back