Diesel additive

Awesome debate here.....
I have run many diesel trucks and equipment. First and foremost I always get the fuel from the same place. Its a place I trust. They blend it in the winter based on temps. There is an additive in it from the pump so I don't feel the need to add additional additive to it. However if I had to purchase fuel from where ever and was on the road with not much control over the quality of the fuel, I would probably add an additive. My heavy truck mechanic always complains about the low sulfur fuel in the older trucks. They dump all kinds of things into the fuel on the old trucks from additives to tranny fluid ( transmission that is) .........

Awesome debate here.....

PappaRaptor I'm glad you are enjoying this thread but I'm not trying to debate anyone. As a first time SD diesel owner in this EPA driven world, I'm just trying to figure out the best practice for my new 80K truck. And this thread has honestly made it a challenge.

Clearly there is two camps: 1) don't add crap that could void your warranty and waste your money because Ford designed it to run on ultra low sulfur and they know best and the 2) you better add something to make up for the crap ultra low sulfur fuel that will ruin your engine and unleash hell.

I'm poised to go either way but still not sure who is wiser.

I do like your general advice. If buying good liquid don't worry about it. If not sure, pour in the juice just in case. You may have the most balanced answer in this thread thus far.

Last edited:
In this world of LGBTQDEFDPF? I'm clearly in the ? I don't know what to do Group.
Hear you! I feel like it has been designed for the modern fuel. The ultra low sulfur has been out since 2007 , It should be made to take it. The old trucks I am talking about are very old pre 2000. By the way I have a 6.5 Detroit Diesel 2000 model year and I always buy from my only trusted place and only run a winter additive when it gets below 20 degrees for extended time. It still runs good no issues.

One thing to consider with additives, some are great others are just crap. I heard the old truck mechanic call them a wax based product. It can do more damage than good, especially with the new trucks and all the emissions. On the old big Mack trucks I have seen them dump 5 gallons of used transmission fluid in the tank. Those are 70s vintage trucks still being used. Talk about a nice scent when you get behind them.

I am sure there are some legit additives and guys love them but I guess I am in the camp of no additive.

Awesome debate here.....
I have run many diesel trucks and equipment. First and foremost I always get the fuel from the same place. Its a place I trust. They blend it in the winter based on temps. There is an additive in it from the pump so I don't feel the need to add additional additive to it. However if I had to purchase fuel from where ever and was on the road with not much control over the quality of the fuel, I would probably add an additive. My heavy truck mechanic always complains about the low sulfur fuel in the older trucks. They dump all kinds of things into the fuel on the old trucks from additives to tranny fluid ( transmission that is) .........
Things have changed since our last F-250... with the International Engine, no turbo, glow-plug light, no leather, no DEF, no DPF, etc, etc... and that engine initially was in the shop a lot as it wouldn't start on warm days, but it was all there was back then. I have a bit to learn. All I recall was using Marvel's Mystery oil every so often with a tank of fuel. Things have changed.

I am leaning toward trying to use normally fill with Top Tier Diesel, as recommended, when in town, and carry an additive bottle or two for the truck stop fuel.

I noticed that too. What’s a new diesel owner to do? Lol
Ford "recommends" top tier fuels but it only says to look at additives by Motorcraft. Then, only if the fuel you are using gives you problems. I think I will try a few different fuel stations to judge the quality of the fuel as best I can without spending money on additives.
I don't think that list of top tier diesel fuels was all inclusive. It may be a bit out of date. I will check with the manufacturers.

I don't think that list of top tier diesel fuels was all inclusive. It may be a bit out of date. I will check with the manufacturers.

Agree that list is too short to be helpful and there must be more companies adhering to ASTM specifications. Let us know what you find and I'll pay close attention at the pump.

I started to fill up today but noticed it was bio-diesel, that was at Flying J

I started to fill up today but noticed it was bio-diesel, that was at Flying J
I got a tank of that bio-diesel there. Good to see there are a few out there looking to save the enviroment.
Does it smell like fried chicken when you stomp the accelerator?
:)

I know a guy named Bill Hewitt, he runs a brick and mortar shop called PowerStroke Specialties outside of Atlanta. This dude services hundreds of fleet vehicles, and is the top east coast expert in Powerstroke motors since their inception. He recommends Archoil Products...and he can tell you why in his numerous YouTube videos. He also has hundreds of videos showing every possible powerstroke issue and Ford Super duty issue. He has put together 4 videos on death wobble alone. His last video (last week) describes at length the issues of Death Wobble on Lifted F250/350s. Google Powerstrokehelp.com.....thats his website.

I know another guy...His name is Jay Leno....Yes, Jay Leno from the Tonight Show. He owns $millions worth of rare expensive and cool vehicles, that he cares more about than almost anything else in this world. Jay Leno uses Archoil, and he also recommends it and HE, will also tell you why you should use it.

I am using it.....you guys can believe what you want......but after listening to these bonafide experts....I am a believer!

And OK, I will say it first: YES, "I Drank the Cool Aid"!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have an older Powerstroke and have used both the Archoil fuel and oil additives for a few years - good stuff IMO and yes, Bill's website is a must-see for Powerstroke owners.

?

Interesting thread. Personally I'd go with what the manual states as long as you have the warranty. After that...well that's up to each owner.

Well here is my 2 cents. I am fixed operations manager for a top 50 Auto Group in the nation. 45 years in the Auto service business. I have seen the issues caused by poor fuel quality in all types of Engines, gas and diesel. All vehicles are built to run on today's fuels and the vehicles are not the issue. Regardless of brand. Fuel is the issue. I firmly recommend BG fuel and oil additives i use fuel and oil additives at each fill up and oil change . I run BG DOC oil conditioner at every oil change and run a cleaner before changing the oil.. Driving a 2009 F350 with 180k on it and have never had as much as a check engine light. F
My Edge Sport turbo I do the same thing. No way with the fuel we get today I would in no way think about not running Fuel and Oil Additives. I am thinking of buying a Tremor at this time and will never fill it without BG Fuel additive. Again just my opinion. Go to bgprod.com and see the facts. Dontbtrust your fuel.

Well here is my 2 cents. I am fixed operations manager for a top 50 Auto Group in the nation. 45 years in the Auto service business. I have seen the issues caused by poor fuel quality in all types of Engines, gas and diesel. All vehicles are built to run on today's fuels and the vehicles are not the issue. Regardless of brand. Fuel is the issue. I firmly recommend BG fuel and oil additives i use fuel and oil additives at each fill up and oil change . I run BG DOC oil conditioner at every oil change and run a cleaner before changing the oil.. Driving a 2009 F350 with 180k on it and have never had as much as a check engine light. F
My Edge Sport turbo I do the same thing. No way with the fuel we get today I would in no way think about not running Fuel and Oil Additives. I am thinking of buying a Tremor at this time and will never fill it without BG Fuel additive. Again just my opinion. Go to bgprod.com and see the facts. Dontbtrust your fuel.
Here Here! I do the exact same thing based on my research.....because I did not know any of this stuff before I owned a Powerstroke! Only difference between you and I is the brand of the additives. Oh yes 1 other thing....I was born and raised in Buffalo!

Here Here! I do the exact same thing based on my research.....because I did not know any of this stuff before I owned a Powerstroke! Only difference between you and I is the brand of the additives. Oh yes 1 other thing....I was born and raised in Buffalo!
We have a Honda Dealership in Williamsville.

Check out Bill Hewitt at Powerstrokehelp.com.

This guy is a hack. DO NOT follow his advice. Plenty of people know where to get the best info....he is not it.

To the point of additives, run what you want. I like the Howe's Products myself. They have been doing great since I switched over to them.

I have another Lubricant question: What does everyone think about AMSOIL? Not the Cost....The Product? Is it really good......or what? Does it meet the New Ford Spec WSS-M2C171-F1?????

Back