Diesel additive

Amzoil is not on the Ford list of approved oils.

Most PSD guys like the Rot-T6, Valvoline Premium Extreme is a close second.

Amzoil is not on the Ford list of approved oils.

Most PSD guys like the Rot-T6, Valvoline Premium Extreme is a close second.
That is what I am currently using..... What I like about it: Relatively inexpensive full synthetic (I can change it often)...Ford approved....seems to run really smooth....

Last edited:
That is what I am currently using..... What I like about it: Relatively inexpensive full synthetic (I can change it often)...Ford approved....seems to run really smooth....
I have a commercial account from my Amsoil dealer. I have been running it in all of my engines for a long time. I use their ( expensive) filters. Never had a problem. The commercial account is not as good of price as a dealer price but better than retail, I just message my guy and it shows up in a few days. The Amsoil has all the ratings Ford requires.
As a bonus I can take my used oil back to him for recycle n/c.
My cost to do an oil change with the Amsoil filter and oil is about the same as a basic oil change, except I have to do the labor. I would rather work on my $80+K truck than some minimum wage grease monkey who doesn't give a rats butt about anything except who he is banging and when his next break starts. I have had problems with oil changes at most dealerships, maybe thats a new thread to start.

To anyone running additive - I picked up a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD and plan to keep a couple small bottles in the truck in a sealing plastic container under the seat but have a question. Living in Texas, the interior of a truck not in the shade can hit 150+, and the back of the jug says it can ignite at high temps. Do I need to be concerned about that or leave space in the jugs for expansion in the heat? Anyone run into that?

Amzoil is not on the Ford approved oil list plain and simple. They state they meet the Ford requirements......yet they are not on the list. To each their own......

To anyone running additive - I picked up a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD and plan to keep a couple small bottles in the truck in a sealing plastic container under the seat but have a question. Living in Texas, the interior of a truck not in the shade can hit 150+, and the back of the jug says it can ignite at high temps. Do I need to be concerned about that or leave space in the jugs for expansion in the heat? Anyone run into that?

Maybe place it in the bed, in a vented container, and might try to build some sort of shade/cover to help combat the heat. Reflectix is an awesome little product the works great.

Maybe use a windshield sun blocker thru out the cab???

My buddy has a 19’ F250 and he runs Hot Shot? He swears by it but 8m on the fence about running additives. Great points gents..... Keeps me thinking about do it or not...

My buddy has a 19’ F250 and he runs Hot Shot? He swears by it but 8m on the fence about running additives. Great points gents..... Keeps me thinking about do it or not...
I have a 2007 Sportchassis M2 112 with MBE 4000 and when I fill up I put 1 Qt. of ATF fluid in each saddle tank. I was taught this by old truck drivers and diesel mechanics I have never had any issues. But on my new 6.7 I think I will be adding the Archoil as talk highly about in this trend. I have used Stanadyne in the past and liked the results as well..

I am using what Jay Leno uses and recommends.......Archoil. They make a Diesel additive and an oil additive,,,,,I use both.

New diesel owner. So i going to sidetrack this a little. I'm deployed and will be for the first part of the winter. My truck is sitting in North Central NY. My wife and or brother will drive it time to time. Should I add something so it doesn't gel up?

Also, how do I know if its a good gas station or not (like winter mixing, to prevent gel).

How is the top tier fuel list so small? and none of the major companies are on it.

In very cold weather conditions (single digits and below), I have used an anit-gel agent over the years, but only for a short period, not at every fill-up. I dont know if the newer trucks need or require it, but I always thought of it as good insurance with the conditioner and anti-gel agents.

New diesel owner. So i going to sidetrack this a little. I'm deployed and will be for the first part of the winter. My truck is sitting in North Central NY. My wife and or brother will drive it time to time. Should I add something so it doesn't gel up?

Also, how do I know if its a good gas station or not (like winter mixing, to prevent gel).
Hey brother stay safe and get home to your family my man. I will keep you and your family included in my morning prayers. Thanks for your service. NY STRONG

Its all about the fuel, not the truck. Even the best engine, Diesel or Gas needs to have the best fuel . Try to purchase Top Tier fuel when you can but otherwise stay with a filling station that serves over the road trucks. They use a high volume of fuel and the tanks tend to be cleaner. Tanks that get little use have a higher tendency for microbial growth in them from water and debris. That being said I also recommend using a high quality fuel conditioner. I use BG Products for Diesel cleaning and Conditioning of my Oil and my fuel. Their limited lifetime warranties speak for themselves. I know there are many brands out there and we all have our favorite, like Ford vs Chevy. Take a look at their products thru this link. https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel-fuel-system/ to see what I am advocating.
Be safe out there and thanks for your service to us and your family.
Just my 2 cents.

I've always heard that BG products were good, I never knew they had so many! Reading up on them now. Thanks for posting the link!

Is there a list of Ford approved after market diesel additives?

I have read not to use any additive that contains alcohol.
Truth is ..I am on the fence about using any additives.

Last edited:
Is there a list of Ford approved after market diesel additives?

I have read not to use any additive that contains alcohol.
Truth is ..I am on the fence about using any additives.
owners manual states there is no need for additional additives

Latest Discussions

Back