Diesel additive

JayReid02

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
2020 Tremor 6.7
Hey everyone I hope y’all are well and staying healthy. This is my first post and this is actually my first diesel truck. I’ve owned about 10 gas trucks but really loving my 6.7 Tremor.

Just curious if y’all recommend any fuel additive? My buddy was saying to add every tank and sent me a few different additives to research. Honestly, he’s a bullshitter and “shoots a 10 point buck every year with his eyes closed” so I’m looking for advice from y’all. Thanks in advance.

JB

Hey everyone I hope y’all are well and staying healthy. This is my first post and this is actually my first diesel truck. I’ve owned about 10 gas trucks but really loving my 6.7 Tremor.

Just curious if y’all recommend any fuel additive? My buddy was saying to add every tank and sent me a few different additives to research. Honestly, he’s a bullshitter and “shoots a 10 point buck every year with his eyes closed” so I’m looking for advice from y’all. Thanks in advance.

JB

I always ran additive on mine. I figured its cheaper than a hpfp or injectors.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, did you run it every tank? Do you have a recommended brand?

Thanks for the reply. Ok, did you run it every tank? Do you have a recommended brand?
Check out powerstrokehelp.com....and same guy on youtube….I use Archoil...so does Jay Leno....good enough for me.....

I ran Stanadyne on the old truck every tank with zero issues. Needed, probably not. Worth the piece of mind compared to a hpfp and injectors; to me, yes.

Optilube, standyne, or powerservice. I use either one of these every tank to increase cetane and lubricity. If you are looking for lubricity add about 12-16oz of tcw3 2 stroke oil (non-synthetic) or use it combined with an additive of your choice. I've put close to a million miles on diesel motors and have never had injector issues. Not sure if it's due to the additives each tank or the extra filtration I add with 2 micron cat filter adaptors or a combination of both.

JB
My advice would be to never use any additives of any kind.

This is terrible advice. The ultra low sulfer diesel we have at the pumps lack the lubricity it had years ago. More lubricity means longer lasting fuel system and engine components.
The new 6.7 l diesel was designed for the fuel available at the pumps of today not "years ago". If you have an old diesel engine it may need the extra sulfur but the brand new 6.7 l diesel does not so you would be wasting money buying additives and getting no benefit.

The new 6.7 l diesel was designed for the fuel available at the pumps of today not "years ago". If you have an old diesel engine it may need the extra sulfur but the brand new 6.7 l diesel does not so you would be wasting money buying additives and getting no benefit.

Naw, they need more lubricity. It's very much like all the newer gas motors are designed to run e10-e15 which is the most widely available gasoline. Put non ethenol gasoline in them and they run better and more efficient.

Naw, they need more lubricity. It's very much like all the newer gas motors are designed to run e10-e15 which is the most widely available gasoline. Put non ethenol gasoline in them and they run better and more efficient.
My local dealer seemed to indicate I didn’t need any diesel additives. It came up during a conversation about gelling and engine block heaters. They basically told me that was “old school” diesel tech. The new Power Stroke doesn’t need any of that stuff and not to waste my money. So far so good. I didn’t get an engine block heater and the truck started right up this winter, even sitting for a week. I don’t think they would BS me to their detriment. Makes sense to me. Why would they engineer a motor for fuel that isn’t available?

My local dealer seemed to indicate I didn’t need any diesel additives. It came up during a conversation about gelling and engine block heaters. They basically told me that was “old school” diesel tech. The new Power Stroke doesn’t need any of that stuff and not to waste my money. So far so good. I didn’t get an engine block heater and the truck started right up this winter, even sitting for a week. I don’t think they would BS me to their detriment. Makes sense to me. Why would they engineer a motor for fuel that isn’t available?
And it gets cold AF in Montana, I assume. Voice of reason - thanks. I had a mild point of anxiety - like, "every tank? I'm screwed" I don't wait to get close to "E" to fill up. After living through the big black out in the Midwest back in the day, 9/11 gas price gouging and the fact that an earth quake could pop off any minute here in California - I don't let my tank get below half. Figuring out how much additive to add and the mess I could be dealing with every time I gas up would suck.

Check out Bill Hewitt at Powerstrokehelp.com...this guy IS the expert on FORD powerstroke motors. Even though the 17-20 engines are in fact designed to run on this low sulpher crap.....the Archoil in the fuel will improve your engines longevity in 3 ways: Increases cumbustiblity of the fuel, which means less carbon crap glogging up your DPF and it helps your intake side stay cleaner...reduced REGEN cycles. ....2: Cleans the intake side of your motor. 3: Provides additional lubrication for the entire fuel and intake systems. Also Check out Jay Leno...who believes in this stuff...and has millions of dollars tied up in his car collection....(all on you tube)

These newer engines are much different than old, but can still use the benefits of a lubricant type additive in the fuel. This includes the pump, injectors and upper cylinder area. If you live in an area that gets cold, like Michigan, then in the winter a good anti-gel and water remover is good depending on the quality of fuel you use. Some stations use additives in the tanks, others bare minimum.

Well you guys and gals made me spend a few hours researching this topic. While I'm honestly on the fence about putting fuel additive into my 6.7 diesel, I've decided that I'll put the ARCHOIL AR6200 FUEL TREATMENT in at each fuel up. I purchased enough to treat the first 1,000 gallons and I'll see how it goes. Whilst it might be wasting money, it is a reasonable additional cost for additional perceived protection. Wish me luck!

Apples and oranges...The new gas engines if you read the manuals explicitly say to use unleaded with between 5 and 15% ethanol. Some of them are designed to even run E85 and you get more horsepower when you do.
I am a mechanical designer and I can tell you it would be foolhardy to design an engine that would not run its best on the fuel that was available at most pumps. The Ford Super Duty owner's manual says your warranty will not cover damage caused by using an improper fuel or fuel additive on page 186. Read that whole page and you should have a much better understanding.

Found this on the owners manual on page 189 RE diesel fuel additives:

9DCDA6F3-EB64-4F33-92FC-F1606A6DB1C9.jpeg

"It should not be necessary"
It still recommends a Motorcraft product. In my opinion I would recommend finding a better filling station rather than taking a chance and voiding your warranty. I am leery of adding any additives with statements in the manual about not warrantying an extremely expensive diesel engine. If you could prove the fuel was of bad quality then you would have a case to make the company that sold the sub par fuel fix your engine. However, if you add something to the fuel you assume the risk.

Back