DIESEL ADDITIVE(S) LUBRICITY

How do you know if a station has top tier diesel I’ve never seen any kind of labeling like that
They say it. Sunoco, Shell, etc.

They say it. Sunoco, Shell, etc.
Back in the day transport trucks were branded, (shell, chevron, Texaco, gulf) now most are independents, you don't know what refineries fuel are in them. Now you also have fuel ⛽️ being sold at box stores, where did this fuel come from? Everyone is looking for the best price. It's difficult to know where quality fuel is. What I do now is go to places that pump high volume, hoping the quality is good. Not sure what else to do.

Back in the day transport trucks were branded, (shell, chevron, Texaco, gulf) now most are independents, you don't know what refineries fuel are in them. Now you also have fuel ⛽️ being sold at box stores, where did this fuel come from? Everyone is looking for the best price. It's difficult to know where quality fuel is. What I do now is go to places that pump high volume, hoping the quality is good. Not sure what else to do.
That’s what I’ve always done is use high volume places, all the places locally wether it be sunnoco shell exon what ever all get their deliveries from the same local outfit the only other tanker I see around is sheetz they have their own trucks and in general it’s garbage fuel

Been using Optilube XPD religiously since about 6 years ago in my Powerstroke 6.0s and continue using it in my 6.7.

No Top Tier were I live, I get some when we take the truck to visit my in-laws. So maybe every 4th or 5th fillup.

Otherwise I just go to a store where everything seems taken care of. The bathroom is reasonably clean, the trash isn't overflowing, etc.
Other than that I've been using hot shots and hope for the best.

Remember, those top tier gas station brands don’t necessarily offer top tier diesel fuel. I’m in AZ, and the top tier website has no diesel stations listed within 500 miles of me. EDIT: none within 1000 miles either

I worked as an engineer for Exxon and Valero for more than 45 years. These companies will meet ASTM and API spec because they need to, and because their government contracts require it. But beyond that they prefer to pinch every fraction of a cent. Profit is king. Watch for Top Tier branded fuels as these are better, including diesel. These have higher lubricity and additives.
Since you have experience at a few oil companies, do they add Diesel #1 or additives in the winter to their diesel to keep it flowing?

Most every refinery truck loading rack facility, at least in California has all the blending components that can get added into trucks at the loading rack to meet various branded specs...for example the Valero refinery in Benicia CA sells fuel to meet Shell, Chevron, etc. Valero is a Top Tier fuel. Most California Costco's are Top Tier.

I found this information at my shop who is installing new PPE trans pan, oil pan and front diff cover soon. He mentioned lubricity is the main culprit of cp4 failure with today's diesel fuels. Of course there are the obvious, of DEF in the fuel, water, and air. Thought I would share. The HFRR score is what counts as far as lubricity, the rest is obvious. View attachment 114275
What about STP’s 5-1 product? Anyone have any experience?

Most every refinery truck loading rack facility, at least in California has all the blending components that can get added into trucks at the loading rack to meet various branded specs...for example the Valero refinery in Benicia CA sells fuel to meet Shell, Chevron, etc. Valero is a Top Tier fuel. Most California Costco's are Top Tier.

I'm in California and almost exclusively use Shell diesel, I can't recall ever seeing it labeled Top Tier at the diesel pump. Are you saying that it probably is Top Tier, absent of the labeling?

I do see the Top Tier labels on some of the gasoline pumps, like Costco as you said. Unfortunately my local Costco fuel station doesn't have diesel.

Interesting... I did a search on this site and found NO Top Tier fuel for diesel in California or Nevada. Is this even a concern for diesel users?

A little more digging on that site and it looks as if Top Tier Diesel stations are few and far between. If you can find a Costco in the US that sells diesel your good to go :unsure:

1F01D252-3F58-4003-B05D-08B5FDC48FA9.png

I'm in California and almost exclusively use Shell diesel, I can't recall ever seeing it labeled Top Tier at the diesel pump. Are you saying that it probably is Top Tier, absent of the labeling?

I do see the Top Tier labels on some of the gasoline pumps, like Costco as you said. Unfortunately my local Costco fuel station doesn't have diesel.
I'm not sure whether She'll is TT. I'm just saying most refinery loading racks can blend for whatever branded combination a particular oil company makes. Top Tier is more prevalent in the Bay Area and LA. Costco in Fairfield CA advertise it at their pumps.

I worked as an engineer for Exxon and Valero for more than 45 years. These companies will meet ASTM and API spec because they need to, and because their government contracts require it. But beyond that they prefer to pinch every fraction of a cent. Profit is king. Watch for Top Tier branded fuels as these are better, including diesel. These have higher lubricity and additives.
This is a great document, thanks for posting. Question: The document is from 2017 and doesn't mention "renewable diesel" which I understand undergoes a different process than biodiesel. Per the title on this thread, I am concerned about the lubricity of renewable diesel. Do you have any information on this fuel?

Renewable diesel has to meet the same ASTM standards for minimum lubricity as petrol diesel #2. It would be nice if it actually provided higher than that.

This is a great document, thanks for posting. Question: The document is from 2017 and doesn't mention "renewable diesel" which I understand undergoes a different process than biodiesel. Per the title on this thread, I am concerned about the lubricity of renewable diesel. Do you have any information on this fuel?
It's my understanding that the Top Tier specification, which was established and led by GM, is in the process of getting an update this year. Currently it's a voluntary program that establishes a basic platform standard of compliance should a vendor want to market their fuels as Top Tier. Hopefully this will be well received by the public, and the market (oil companies) will respond accordingly to consumers focusing their fuels purchases towards stations selling TT fuels. I'll still be adding lubricity to my truck either way.

B60857C1-A455-4BF7-84F9-BCA272992853.png

i still add archoil treatment for #2 diesel and renewable diesel. 👍

the renewable diesel is legit and is sometimes cheaper than #2 diesel.

In talking with propel, they currently have no plans to expand beyond their existing service area. Sucks for me because i like it better than #2. 😟

View attachment 115892

i still add archoil treatment for #2 diesel and renewable diesel. 👍

the renewable diesel is legit and is sometimes cheaper than #2 diesel.

In talking with propel, they currently have no plans to expand beyond their existing service area. Sucks for me because i like it better than #2. 😟
Agree. When I can find it I've been buying 76 Renewable diesel. It's amazing how much better older diesels run on it. Can't say I notice much difference with my 22 Tremor, but my 06 Ram and 02 F250 absolutely purr with it. But the additional Cetane and Lubricity are for real and I'm confident that running it in my Tremor is better than not. And I also will continue to add Hot Shots LX4 and PS white. May give Archoil a try when I run out of PS.

Agree. When I can find it I've been buying 76 Renewable diesel. It's amazing how much better older diesels run on it. Can't say I notice much difference with my 22 Tremor, but my 06 Ram and 02 F250 absolutely purr with it. But the additional Cetane and Lubricity are for real and I'm confident that running it in my Tremor is better than not. And I also will continue to add Hot Shots LX4 and PS white. May give Archoil a try when I run out of PS.
Thanks very much for the data and information and thanks to @unreng and @Mike2095 and all the others for the documents shown. Long story short, I "accidentally" found a Union 76 station close to home that sold Renewable Deisel at the pump. Filled the truck before I realized it was renewable and started to research. So, additives will now become routine for me.

That's what's so great about this forum, everyone has valuable input and for me, is much appreciated. Thanks to all.

Back