Did you add onboard air? I have an electrical question

HTremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor 7.3L
I am looking at adding ARB On-Board Twin Air Compressor to my 22 F250 Tremor. I have the dual batteries and 397 alternator... so I am good in the power department. What I am trying to understand is how I would hook it up to the upfitters or a Switch Pro. The highest rating on both isn't enough for the 56amp draw of the compressor.

How did you wire it? Relay?

Lastly, what gauge wire and fuse did you use? I was thinking 4 AWG with a 80 amp fuse.

Thanks in advance for the info. Excited to get this installed.

I’ve not hooked this up but usually when trying to switch a high amp load with a low amp switch a relay would be your best bet. I’d assume there’s relays with a 12V coil and contacts rated for at least 60.

I'm taking my portable twin compressor out of the plastic case and putting it in my truck. Compressors in the bed and the small tank underneath somewhere. Without all that stuff, you'll need a big relay or continuous duty solenois of some type if you want to use one upfitter switch. Alternately, you could wire each compressor motor separately to the last two upfitter switches. The amperage ratings match the fuse for each compressor (40 amp I believe).

I’ve not hooked this up but usually when trying to switch a high amp load with a low amp switch a relay would be your best bet. I’d assume there’s relays with a 12V coil and contacts rated for at least 60.
Any recommendations or links for a relay that would work?

The Twin compressor has a built in relay. There is a "Supply Loom" that has 2 red and 2 black wires that run to the battery direct. In the "Switch Loom" there is a purple wire that you can hook to any of the aux switches that activates the relay.

https://www.4wd.com/sku/ARB 4x4 Accessories/standard/CKMTA12.pdf Page 15 shows the wiring. The other wires in the "Switch Loom" are for air locker.

I’m running the compressor power, direct to the battery. It came with a fused battery lead and then the trigger wire (which goes to an internal relay on the compressor) direct to an upfitter switch. It was pretty simple. Believe it was the purple wire on the ARB harness.

A few people on here have already done this and I think there is a thread that walks you through it. Id do a search

As others have said...

In my 4runner I have power and ground run to SDHQ expansion terminals on my Odyssey 34r deep cycle battery.

I have the switch run to one of the switches on my switch bank. Install is simple with upfitters or an aftermarket solution, assuming you mount under the hood. You do not need a relay if you are using upfitter switches - wire switch lead directly to your upfitter and properly ground.

Latest Discussions

Back