Diamondback HD Pics Wanted

JJTremor

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Looking for pictures of those with a Diamondback HD cover on Super Duty trucks. I'm particularly interested in those with a black tremor as I'm debating on whether or not I want a textured or smooth diamondback hd cover on my Tremor. I really like the Renegade cover with the recessed track and flat top, but I'm getting impatient and don't want to wait another 4 months so I'm thinking I'll just go with a diamondback cover.

For those that have a diamondback cover, are you happy with the cover and why did you choose to go with the finish that you did?

For those that have a diamondback cover, are you happy with the cover and why did you choose to go with the finish that you did?
@ccw has a Diamondback and can answer this in good detail. They have great customer service and took care of shipping damage he had.

• Love
Reactions: ccw
Looking for pictures of those with a Diamondback HD cover on Super Duty trucks. I'm particularly interested in those with a black tremor as I'm debating on whether or not I want a textured or smooth diamondback hd cover on my Tremor. I really like the Renegade cover with the recessed track and flat top, but I'm getting impatient and don't want to wait another 4 months so I'm thinking I'll just go with a diamondback cover.

Can't help you with pictures on a black truck (mine is red), but can help you with thoughts on the cover.

Overall the cover itself is extremely impressive. I got the HD in smooth finish. It's worth emphasizing that "smooth" just means "no diamondplate". Assuming you go for the bedlined version, instead of bare aluminum, it still has a significant amount of texture to it by nature of the lining. It's also has quite a lot of grip. You're definitely not looking at a polished surface (unless you get the raw aluminum).

I went for the smooth finish because I felt it would better fit in with the appearance of my truck. My truck (like most of them?) has no surfaces with diamond-plate or anything particularly rough. Instead it's a whole bunch of really smooth surfaces, and I don't plan to add any particularly "rough" things to my truck when it comes to visual appearance.

I love the look of what I have. I have no regrets about going for the smooth finish.

I installed the HD by myself, twice (note the damage that BroncoHooves mentioned above). It's a bit awkward due to the size of the panels, but doable. If I had a shorter armspan I may think differently? For context I'm 6' 2" tall.

The cover is incredibly well built. It has zero flex when walking on it. While not surprising given the HD is rated for 1600 pounds, it's still confidence inspiring. It's also quite functional. When combined with Amp Research side steps, access to the front of the bed is great. The cleats are amazing. So functional. It irks me so much that truck manufacturers don't have external tie-down points and the DiamondBack fixes that. Bonus of the HD: it comes with more cleats. Though I don't believe there's anything stopping you from adding additional cleats to the non-HD yourself.

I also got the Crossbin 13 toolbox. In principle I love it. In practice...it's just not built nearly as well as the cover is. This is amplified by the fact they don't publish a load rating at the time of this writing. Note that it's just 150 pounds according to support. My bin has fallen into the bed of the truck twice on me, without any particularly rough driving. Without question the first time I had it overloaded because I didn't know the load rating. Second time I don't believe I was overloaded, but the bin was weakened significantly. It hasn't fallen in a third time, but I've also moved anything remotely heavy out of the bin.

Here's the post where I document this issue, and there's some ensuing discussion that clarifies exactly what is going wrong:

As for customer service, as @BroncoHooves mentioned my first cover arrived with pretty significant damage. It completely prevented the front panel from closing. You can see a picture of the damage with this post:

More importantly, here's my experience with support about it:

Update on this. Submitted their online form for shipping damage last night, had an email waiting for me first thing this morning. Diamondback is replacing the whole cover. Would have been shipped this week, but I asked them not to ship it out until after the holidays when I can deal with it which wasn’t a problem for them.

Extremely impressed with their responsiveness as well as the lack of pushback considering it’s been a while since it was delivered. Would recommend Diamondback for their customer service!
To be clear: Diamondback support was amazing. When I sent in the message and picture to inform them of the damage, they didn't ask any questions. They were ready to send out a brand new cover to me immediately. It took this long because I was out of town for the holidays and didn't want it shipped to my house with no one there to receive it.

Further to their credit, they had no issues holding off on shipping the replacement prolonging the time to resolve this issue, and shipped it immediately after the holidays. Literally the morning of the first business day after I emailed them letting them know I was back.

That last quote is from my install post. It has thoughts about the install, initial impressions, and one picture of the cover. That post is here:

And last but not least, here's some pictures of my cover. Not a black truck, but maybe they'll still be helpful. :)

22434568-4e6b-417f-8ce0-73cab63b2aca-jpeg.44773

55b907b8-c101-415f-ad7b-17d92ffe85fc-jpeg.44772

b5b381c7-d66f-4699-b5f7-9db1a6d8a58b-jpeg.43696

16526270-a317-444f-bc87-40adb0a6e380-jpeg.47279

Had the OG diamond plate on my F150 but wanted the smooth
on the Tremor - easier to keep clean was my thinking. DB would
not let my local dealer sell me a smooth for some crazy reason
so I went with the OG again. No big deal.

Can't help you with pictures on a black truck (mine is red), but can help you with thoughts on the cover.

Overall the cover itself is extremely impressive. I got the HD in smooth finish. It's worth emphasizing that "smooth" just means "no diamondplate". Assuming you go for the bedlined version, instead of bare aluminum, it still has a significant amount of texture to it by nature of the lining. It's also has quite a lot of grip. You're definitely not looking at a polished surface (unless you get the raw aluminum).

I went for the smooth finish because I felt it would better fit in with the appearance of my truck. My truck (like most of them?) has no surfaces with diamond-plate or anything particularly rough. Instead it's a whole bunch of really smooth surfaces, and I don't plan to add any particularly "rough" things to my truck when it comes to visual appearance.

I love the look of what I have. I have no regrets about going for the smooth finish.

I installed the HD by myself, twice (note the damage that BroncoHooves mentioned above). It's a bit awkward due to the size of the panels, but doable. If I had a shorter armspan I may think differently? For context I'm 6' 2" tall.

The cover is incredibly well built. It has zero flex when walking on it. While not surprising given the HD is rated for 1600 pounds, it's still confidence inspiring. It's also quite functional. When combined with Amp Research side steps, access to the front of the bed is great. The cleats are amazing. So functional. It irks me so much that truck manufacturers don't have external tie-down points and the DiamondBack fixes that. Bonus of the HD: it comes with more cleats. Though I don't believe there's anything stopping you from adding additional cleats to the non-HD yourself.

I also got the Crossbin 13 toolbox. In principle I love it. In practice...it's just not built nearly as well as the cover is. This is amplified by the fact they don't publish a load rating at the time of this writing. Note that it's just 150 pounds according to support. My bin has fallen into the bed of the truck twice on me, without any particularly rough driving. Without question the first time I had it overloaded because I didn't know the load rating. Second time I don't believe I was overloaded, but the bin was weakened significantly. It hasn't fallen in a third time, but I've also moved anything remotely heavy out of the bin.

Here's the post where I document this issue, and there's some ensuing discussion that clarifies exactly what is going wrong:

As for customer service, as @BroncoHooves mentioned my first cover arrived with pretty significant damage. It completely prevented the front panel from closing. You can see a picture of the damage with this post:

More importantly, here's my experience with support about it:

That last quote is from my install post. It has thoughts about the install, initial impressions, and one picture of the cover. That post is here:

And last but not least, here's some pictures of my cover. Not a black truck, but maybe they'll still be helpful. :)

22434568-4e6b-417f-8ce0-73cab63b2aca-jpeg.44773

55b907b8-c101-415f-ad7b-17d92ffe85fc-jpeg.44772

b5b381c7-d66f-4699-b5f7-9db1a6d8a58b-jpeg.43696

16526270-a317-444f-bc87-40adb0a6e380-jpeg.47279

Awesome post, thanks for taking the time to write that all and with the links.... much appreciated.

Awesome post, thanks for taking the time to write that all and with the links.... much appreciated.
No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with. :)

Serves my needs.

Attachments

• D240BCA4-92E4-4D57-B128-8B0BA34B818F.jpeg
    D240BCA4-92E4-4D57-B128-8B0BA34B818F.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 145
  • A59A7A86-982F-4B11-9A4D-EAD95DEAC5B7.jpeg
    A59A7A86-982F-4B11-9A4D-EAD95DEAC5B7.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 3DAEECC3-7AC9-4BE8-BD4F-1A269AFE080D.jpeg
    3DAEECC3-7AC9-4BE8-BD4F-1A269AFE080D.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 141
Yeah, I wasn't impressed with the crossbin and the way I use it for camping I keep large stuff up front so the crossbin wouldn't work for me even if it was nice.

I do love the little side boxes for straps and crap. I also love my
Ford swing-out box at the back for my Archoil additive, Windex,
etc.

The organization of things and space utilization aspect of Diamondback, you simply can’t get that with any other cover on the market.
What kind of packs do you have there attached to the molle panels?

What kind of packs do you have there attached to the molle panels?
I researched and tried 6-7 different brands but settled in Wynex Tactical pouches all around. Had to return many other pouches to amazon. For the price the quality of Wynex is pretty damn good. I over secured each one with plenty of zip ties, they have the most hooks in the backs to work with amongst all brands.

Ordered 160psi gas springs from DB at $15 each as the panel is a bit heavier than with no weight , factory springs are at 135psi.

WYNEX Tactical Admin Molle Pouch, Medical EDC EMT Utility Bag Shell Design Attachment Pouches 1000D Nylon Hiking Belt Bags Waterproof https://a.co/d/5ecYnte

why did you choose to go with the finish that you did?
I wanted a smooth finish at first, but then i visited a PA hunting show where Diamondback had a booth and i saw both a diamond pattern and smooth covers side by side. Took me 30 seconds to make the decision. The reason is simple - smooth looked cheap, uneventful in comparison to diamond pattern cover in person. It’s night and day looking at the two side by side when making a choice. On pictures smooth looked attractive and cool, in person - cheapo (almost plasticky looking) finish. I ordered on the spot, got a 20% discount.

I wanted a smooth finish at first, but then i visited a PA hunting show where Diamondback had a booth and i saw both a diamond pattern and smooth covers side by side. Took me 30 seconds to make the decision. The reason is simple - smooth looked cheap, uneventful in comparison to diamond pattern cover in person. It’s night and day looking at the two side by side when making a choice. On pictures smooth looked attractive and cool, in person - cheapo (almost plasticky looking) finish. I ordered on the spot, got a 20% discount.
Hmm Interesting.... I'll need to see if Diamondback has any auto show events coming up where they'll be attending so I can see them in person and I wouldn't mind 20% off if they offered it to seal the deal :)

For those of you with Diamondback Covers, how's the surface coating holding up to UV rays and just overall quality. I reached out to my Line-X shop and they quoted me $464 to coat a new unfinished aluminum Diamondback HD cover with there best Line-X Platinum line. Diamondback HD charges $400 more to coat there tonneau bed covers so curious if the Line-X Platinum line is superior to the Diamondback line as it's only $64 more. I've never had anything Line-X before so I have no idea.

For those of you with Diamondback Covers, how's the surface coating holding up to UV rays and just overall quality. I reached out to my Line-X shop and they quoted me $464 to coat a new unfinished aluminum Diamondback HD cover with there best Line-X Platinum line. Diamondback HD charges $400 more to coat there tonneau bed covers so curious if the Line-X Platinum line is superior to the Diamondback line as it's only $64 more. I've never had anything Line-X before so I have no idea.
20220618_171918_resize.jpg

I've had this HD cover for 3 years on my old F350 which spent its entire life parked outside, bought it used from a guy who had it for a year and now it's on my new Tremor. Aside from two small chips in the finish (from something sharp) it is holding up amazingly well. When washed, it looks just as good as the bedliner below it. *forgot to mention, this is the Diamondback factory finish.

I own mine for only two months, so i’d rely on @dmitt29 feedback. From everything i’ve seen review wise there were no complaints about the finish ever. And if i had to compare to my factory bedliner finish, i think it’s a lot harder and robust. Have no experience with line-x.

The DB guys who installed my cover at their factory said that over time the rubber seals might wear out and can be easily replaced. if im not mistaken the cover has a lifetime warranty so if any serious issues DB should take care.

I own mine for only two months, so i’d rely on @dmitt29 feedback. From everything i’ve seen review wise there were no complaints about the finish ever. And if i had to compare to my factory bedliner finish, i think it’s a lot harder and robust. Have no experience with line-x.

The DB guys who installed my cover at their factory said that over time the rubber seals might wear out and can be easily replaced. if im not mistaken the cover has a lifetime warranty so if any serious issues DB should take care.
Funny thing.. I just spoke with Mike at DB 4 days ago. I needed longer front hold-down brackets for the new truck as this cover wasn't designed for the newer body style, it just happens to work. The new longer hold-down brackets were enough to get me into the holes in the front of the bed. Works great. I asked about new seals and he quoted me ~60 bucks for the whole seal kit.

HD Smooth with cleats... just prefer that look. Had it installed at the factory in PA. Later installed an UpTop Overland rack system on it. Works really well. It's impossible to overstate how positive an experience I have had with Diamondback. They are ridiculously good at customer service.

Back