Deep scratch found after delivery.

On the bright side, I barely notice the scratch when the massive, misaligned gap between those body panels is capturing all of my attention.
Mine came with a misaligned door, never looked like it was shut all the way which had to be from the factory. I also noticed some really small scratches on the fender flares upon delivery. Two days later I found a small indentation in the drivers door. Almost so slight you don't see it, till you see it, then you see it all the time.

The dealer was good about it all but still took me 3 weeks, a lot of communications and multiple trips to get everything squared up.

I took a new pic today with a macro lens of the scratch. Check it out:

Y4VQkq4.jpg

Just now found another thin scratch on side of same fender that wasn't touched up. Shows bare metal at this angle in the sunglight. Not deep at all and definitely factory I'd say.

Fdj4Ktg.jpg

Just now found another thin scratch on side of same fender that wasn't touched up. Shows bare metal at this angle in the sunglight. Not deep at all and definitely factory I'd say.

Fdj4Ktg.jpg
On a positive note, at least you don’t need to worry about rust from these?

Aluminum corrodes all the same. Not that I would keep this past warranty anyways.
Sure it oxidizes, but I thought it would stop and not progress like rust does? Nor reduce the actual metal thickness to any meaningful extent?

Any word on resolution? Or did they basically tell you to kindly fuck off?

Dealer said 'he's stumped' and that he is going to forward my pic along with my VIN number over to Ford. He said his inventory control manager documents every truck that comes in and that he rarely sees him miss anything he goes over the truck with a orange wax pencil and circles everything

Sure it oxidizes, but I thought it would stop and not progress like rust does? Nor reduce the actual metal thickness to any meaningful extent?
Once it starts, the paint will start to bubble and grow.

Dealer said 'he's stumped' and that he is going to forward my pic along with my VIN number over to Ford. He said his inventory control manager documents every truck that comes in and that he rarely sees him miss anything he goes over the truck with a orange wax pencil and circles everything

Once it starts, the paint will start to bubble and grow.
I hope they make it right for you man, that's a bummer so see such shoddy work on an $80k truck. They could have at least used a small crafts brush and filled in the scratch with color/clear and wetsanded/compounded it out.

So very sorry to see that! It does happen to the best of us when we go to pick up a new vehicle or a repaired vehicle from a body shop ... we miss things! My daughter had a similar experience after picking up her repaired vehicle and noticed a few things a week after that were Fk'd Up after we had better weather to take a closer view. The shop did make it right because there was no denying anything in that case! In your case, you're relying on dealer integrity and a he said/she said situation which sucks ... your options are few. 1. Dealer hooks you up and fixes it correctly. 2. You fix it yourself or have someone else fix it (and please name and blast the dealer's name all over the internet if this happens). 3. Small claims court where you eventually lose or if you win they still do not repair it and you have to rinse and repeat. I pray for option 1 in your case!
Similar thing happened to me about 6 years ago and I still tell people everyday to NEVER use MARTIN HONDA in Newark, DE for ANYTHING --- they totally SUCK! I feel better now (again) --- I hope your situation works out better - I chose option #2 because they were also 3 hours away (and out of State).

So very sorry to see that! It does happen to the best of us when we go to pick up a new vehicle or a repaired vehicle from a body shop ... we miss things! My daughter had a similar experience after picking up her repaired vehicle and noticed a few things a week after that were Fk'd Up after we had better weather to take a closer view. The shop did make it right because there was no denying anything in that case! In your case, you're relying on dealer integrity and a he said/she said situation which sucks ... your options are few. 1. Dealer hooks you up and fixes it correctly. 2. You fix it yourself or have someone else fix it (and please name and blast the dealer's name all over the internet if this happens). 3. Small claims court where you eventually lose or if you win they still do not repair it and you have to rinse and repeat. I pray for option 1 in your case!
Similar thing happened to me about 6 years ago and I still tell people everyday to NEVER use MARTIN HONDA in Newark, DE for ANYTHING --- they totally SUCK! I feel better now (again) --- I hope your situation works out better - I chose option #2 because they were also 3 hours away (and out of State).
Other option? Sell for profit in current market?

Other option? Sell for profit in current market?

So I have a little experience with this. Ford is responsible for the paint defect to be covered under warranty. This sure does not look like a defect but rather an impact and scratch. So Ford covering it under warranty is out.

It is our responsibility as the dealer to catch any scratches when it's dropped off. If we miss something (which happens at our store) we are responsible to fix it on our dime. It is then your responsibilities to make sure there are not any issues before delivery and walk around the vehicle. So technically the dealership could say, sorry. Not our fault. They would be in the 'right'.

now I can tell you I've had issues like this pop up and no one brought it to my attention and we'd err on the side of the customer, but really that's Management's decision. The closer to the purchase date you get in contact directly with the manager at the store the better. Because the more time passes, the more I personally would question the legitimacy.

hope that helps and you come to an amicable solution with your dealer.

It is then your responsibilities to make sure there are not any issues before delivery and walk around the vehicle. So technically the dealership could say, sorry. Not our fault. They would be in the 'right'.
This is why option #3 that I posted above does not work too well. I appreciate your answer which is "technically" correct by the law.

So I have a little experience with this. Ford is responsible for the paint defect to be covered under warranty. This sure does not look like a defect but rather an impact and scratch. So Ford covering it under warranty is out.

It is our responsibility as the dealer to catch any scratches when it's dropped off. If we miss something (which happens at our store) we are responsible to fix it on our dime. It is then your responsibilities to make sure there are not any issues before delivery and walk around the vehicle. So technically the dealership could say, sorry. Not our fault. They would be in the 'right'.

now I can tell you I've had issues like this pop up and no one brought it to my attention and we'd err on the side of the customer, but really that's Management's decision. The closer to the purchase date you get in contact directly with the manager at the store the better. Because the more time passes, the more I personally would question the legitimacy.

hope that helps and you come to an amicable solution with your dealer.
It was touched up at the factory (look at Macro photo earlier)

It could've been someone at the store or factory. I saw the picture. It could be a dealership employee being scared they'd get in trouble or a factory employee doing the same. Tough to tell with certainty.
So what would your dealership charge to fix these mistakes? If Ford doesnt come through and I end up having to pay out of pocket. A new fender unpainted is about $300

So what would your dealership charge to fix these mistakes? If Ford doesnt come through and I end up having to pay out of pocket. A new fender unpainted is about $300

We don't have a body shop on the premises, so I'm not going to pretend I can quote you the price. I don't think a new fender is necessary just a paint and blend. But I couldn't tell you am accurate quote.

A body shop close to you would be able to get you an estimate on repair.

Thanks.

If anyone in the Austin area can help out that would be greatly appreciated.

Back