Dedicated Winter Wheels

cshandrow

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2012 F150 Lariat
I have been doing some research around the Wrangler Duratrac tires, while they are decent for on / off-road they are not the best for snow and specifically ice. I am hopeful I will get a 2021 early next year and the wife wants me to pick up a full set to swap over each year, hard to argue with that I suppose, it was her idea. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tire that would fit the Tremor rims? I will be looking to get 4 more rims while I am at it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Why not buy winter rims and tires, instead of swapping back and forth twice per year.

That is the thought, however, I like the OEM rims So I will pick up 4 more rims as well. The duratracs appear to be a bit of a special size and I can’t find any winters that are the same, I am not sure how far I can push the tire size and still have it fit. Also, any specific snow tire you would recommend?

The duratracks are mountain snowflake rated. From speaking with neighbors they thought they did great in Utah winters. Part of the attraction of the Tremor package was that i didn't have to immediately replace the tire to be legal in some of the passes.

I'm a member of a Jeep forum and Duratracs have been the #1 recommended tire and members rave about them in snow.

I can't imagine those skinny 35's on the Tremor not being sufficient in snow.

I'm a member of a Jeep forum and Duratracs have been the #1 recommended tire and members rave about them in snow.

I can't imagine those skinny 35's on the Tremor not being sufficient in snow.
They look like they will make awesome snow tires, I'm going to use mine as winter tires and wheels and get a set of wider wheels more offset and a real 35" x12.50 tire set for the other months.

Thanks for the info, I suppose I will wait and see, it would be much nicer to only need 1 set. We have always sworn by dedicated snow tires here going back and forth from icy slush in CT to ice / snow in VT.

That is the thought, however, I like the OEM rims So I will pick up 4 more rims as well. The duratracs appear to be a bit of a special size and I can’t find any winters that are the same, I am not sure how far I can push the tire size and still have it fit. Also, any specific snow tire you would recommend?

Seeing as it's looks like you live fairly close to me you can buy my OEM wheels and tires as soon as my truck is in if you want to. They will have 1.5 miles on them because I'm 1.5 miles from my dealer. I already have wheels and tires, lift kit and Fox shocks coming for it and as much as I always say I'm going to run the stock wheels during the winter I've never done it with either of my Raptors. My Tremor is being built on 10/31 and has a tentative delivery date of 11/17. Feel free to call or text me at 508 243 1232 if you're interested. Mike

Try them and see...you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks @Digger29 for the kind offer, I think I am going to just wait and see, as for my pricing and estimates I am going to just not include them. I think they will be good enough for me. Thank you all.

Lots of blah blah blah here.....When I pulled my wheels and tires off my truck in july,,,,the wheels were full of rust...the tires were half worn out... and I was amazed I got 800 bucks for them. I live in NC,,,,,,,no salt,,,,no snow,,,,and sunshine!......typical factory wheels ....not so good. I replaced with Methods NV 305s...and Coopers....much better....and NO rust. Good luck to you guys who live in snow country.....factory wheels rating: F-

I have been doing some research around the Wrangler Duratrac tires, while they are decent for on / off-road they are not the best for snow and specifically ice. I am hopeful I will get a 2021 early next year and the wife wants me to pick up a full set to swap over each year, hard to argue with that I suppose, it was her idea. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tire that would fit the Tremor rims? I will be looking to get 4 more rims while I am at it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
In Maine all the truck guys seem to love the duratracs in the winter. I’ve had them on 3 trucks and all our company pickups get duratracs. They work great in the winter. I was gonna save my stock wheels and tires for winter then get some fuels with ridge grapplers for the summer!

I've had the same thought too as I travel long distances in the winter towing a sled trailer, but from my research it appears the snow tire selection for over-sized truck tires is nearly non-existent.

No first hand experience, but like others have said I have seen/read/heard that the Duratracs are basically de facto snow tires based on their winter performance. It's why I'm willing to overlook some of their other downfalls in the long-term.

Back