Decent Dash Cam suggestions

I have used several different cameras. I have settled on the Garmin Mini for all my vehicles. It is very small and easy to use. It has no screen as it uses an app on your phone. Get the parking power cord so you can make it a permanent installation.

I did not want a screen so I chose a Wifi camera so that it was smaller and more easily hidden behind the mirror. Also the app is well supported because of the Garmin brand.

You need to be able to download footage quickly at the scene if ever you have an accident. If the camera stores so much data that it is impossible to find the file you need VERY quickly, it is worthless. Also note that most of these cameras are terrible at knowing the current time and they store files in chronological order. The file you want could be burried as one among hundreds.

Some pointers:
1. If you are in an accident, you don't want 20 hours of video stored on your memory card. Smaller cards are better. How you were driving 2 hours before the incident is nobody's business.
2. The police will confiscate the card as evidence on the scene, if they know you have it, so download the data ASAP so you have a copy for your attorney.
3. Don't tell anyone you have a recording unless asked specifically. Don't lie, but don't volunteer either. If you have to, review the video with your attorney and have the attorney provide the evidence to the court.
4. Audio is very important. However, some states prohibit audio recording unless EVERYONE agrees to be recorded ahead of time. This is why you want to be in control of the memory card.
5. Hardwire the camera to the battery. Heaven forbid, but if you are in an accident you want it to continue recording the recovery and your rescue. You, or your family, may need that data after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Viofo lets me choose the size of the 'loop' so downloading doesn't take forever. 1-2 minutes is good. It also allows me to hit a button that protects that loop from being erased. However, in the event of a serious accident and the engine is off then I believe downloading is impossible. I would remove the chip and tell the police there wasn't one. I'm no lawyer but I doubt they can search you for anything other than weapons. YMMV

My Viofo lets me choose the size of the 'loop' so downloading doesn't take forever. 1-2 minutes is good. It also allows me to hit a button that protects that loop from being erased. However, in the event of a serious accident and the engine is off then I believe downloading is impossible. I would remove the chip and tell the police there wasn't one. I'm no lawyer but I doubt they can search you for anything other than weapons. YMMV
Lying to an officer in the course of an investigation is a misdemeanor at best and a felony with jail time at worst.

It is good that you can save files on the camera. Most dash cams have motion sensors that can tell when you have an accident and they automatically save the most recent files.

I ordered the dual camera dashcam with infrared from Ford Accessories yesterday. I was able to print off the info from an online discount source and take it to my local dealership and get the same discount price and use my purchase points to pay for the system. Hope it's worth the money. I'll update when installed. ?

Last edited:
Well, if there was only material damage you can't tell me any cop is gonna care these days. I was involved in a hit and run 5 months ago and they let her go AFTER I CHASED HER DOWN because of her color.

Now if there is an injury I would like to hear from one of our LEOs about taking your chip. I imagine it varies considerably but I am sure 'forgetting' about your chip is not a felony anywhere except N Korea. Given how evidence 'disappears' in police custody if you keep your chip in order to make a copy and then give them a copy you can't convince me anything would come of it. ;)

I
I ordered the dual camera dashcam with infrared from Ford Accessories yesterday. I was able to print of the info from an online discount source and take it to my local dealership and get the same discount price and use my purchase points to pay for the system. Hope it's worth the money. I'll update when installed. ?

please keep me informed of this. I’m curious how well this system Works.

Can you provide a link to the online discount source?
Best Buy has the Thinkware combo front/rear on sale. i also thought the parking sensor option had to be hardwired to the fuse box or battery because the OBD-II port is not constantly powered.

When I pulled it up through the Ford Accessory web site for my local dealer it said they would install for $149 which isn't that bad either. He told me it should arrive at the dealership early this week.

When I pulled it up through the Ford Accessory web site for my local dealer it said they would install for $149 which isn't that bad either. He told me it should arrive at the dealership early this week.

Any update?? How you like the system, how it's working for you, ease of install??

$149 installation? Sign me up! It's a 2 hour job if you're slow,
and that's to hard wire it.

I'd like to correct some misconceptions.

It's not a crime to lie to a cop (municipal) or deputy (county) or trooper (state) about a camera, a recording, or a memory card (or anything else) except "reporting" a crime falsely. In many states it's illegal to lie about your identity once arrested. In no state are you required to verbally interact with any police officer under any circumstances. If asked about the card or camera (or anything else) you can say, "yes", "no", or "fuck off", or nothing at all. It's perfectly legal to withhold the card, and the knowledge it exists.

Cops can't confiscate your camera or the memory card. If you're in an accident and the police tow your vehicle, most states allow (and most jurisdictions require), an "inventory" of the contents. This can effectively be a search. If you're arrested, you'll be searched and the belongings on your person will be inventoried and stored. The only way they view the footage is with your permission or a warrant signed by a judge.

I'd like cameras that install cleanly (no zip-tied wires running down the A-pillars), and that I didn't have to baby-sit. I don't want to have to remember to turn them off and on. A "security" mode would be nice for parking lots.

When y'all figure out which one is the easiest to install and operate, let me know.

Looking for recommendations for a decent dash cam preferably with a screen on the back side to view what’s being captured. Excellent night vision and clarity. Anyone hard wired mirror tapped one in?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Also following, thx

They're all gunna install the same and most work similarly.
Obviously some work better with more bells and whistles.
Some have a less than user friendly UI and a good number have crappy apps.
Ones that have a capacitor instead of a battery are less heat sensitive.

This is the one I just ordered w/LTE

https://blackvue.com/dashcams/lte

DR750-2CH-LTE-main-features.png
I second BlackVue ... great camera. I have the dual channel 900, i removed from my 2018 before i traded it in.

Any update?? How you like the system, how it's working for you, ease of install??
Been in a bit of an employment emergency due to Vax mandates at work, so the truck has been on the back burner for the most part, so I haven't had time to do the install yet. Hopefully soon, and I'll post an update once I've used it a few days. The good news is I've been offered a new position at another company and starting Oct. 1st.

I use the Nexar Pro.

Easy installation, powered with USB, front and in-cab camera, auto on/off, recorded to SD card, cloud and phone, security bump feature and you can view the live recording on your phone if you need to...

https://us.getnexar.com/the-dash-cams/

Back