Dealer is replacing the Tires??

Liv4Truth

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Team,

I am in the process of buying my Tremor and when I was going to pick it up the dealer called me and said that they test drove the truck and the rear end felt "unplanted" at highway speeds (60+) and required some counter steer to correct. No steering wheel vibrations or front end concerns. They want to replace the stock tires with Toyo and believe this will correct the issue. They are doing this free of charge before I pick it up.

Does this sound appropriate. Apparently it was the service manager who drove the truck and recommended the change.

Any thoughts on this?

Sounds odd, unless they feel one or both of the tires have a bad belt.

Do you like Toyo?

Duratracs tend to do that new, I would drive it around for awhile and if it doesnt settle down see if they will replace them?

Call me cynical, but the dealer’s story sounds a bit suspect. I’m not calling BS, just thinking out loud.... I know there are good & honest dealers out there (and this may be the finest of the entire bunch), but I’ve run across some that would’ve told me that story after ruining an OEM tire ?.

I happen to like Toyo, but it depends which model of Toyo they’re wanting to use as replacements. Spare tire, also?
Whatever happened, if they’ll let you choose your Toyo, I’d likely give them the green light.

edit: just for info’s sake, ask them to let you look at the OEM tires ?

Last edited:
This sounds extremely similar to what I was experiencing on pickup. I believe it WAS the tires, but they settled in around 750 km and I have no issues anymore.

Team,

Thanks much for the replies. I too have been reading that the Duratracs can have some tracking issues before they are "broken in" some. I am praying that is the case. YES... I do like the idea of the TOYO's as they look great and have great ratings. I think they are helping me out as I have to drive a good ways to get this truck and they are not letting me pick it up until they put the new TOYO's on. So I think this may be a good thing in the end.

Will keep you all informed... Should be able to pick up by Friday... fingers crossed.

Which models of Toyo’s? I love toyo’s and put them on my last several vehicles. On this truck, I’d only consider the R/T’s or M/T’s.

Team,

Thanks much for the replies. I too have been reading that the Duratracs can have some tracking issues before they are "broken in" some. I am praying that is the case. YES... I do like the idea of the TOYO's as they look great and have great ratings. I think they are helping me out as I have to drive a good ways to get this truck and they are not letting me pick it up until they put the new TOYO's on. So I think this may be a good thing in the end.

Will keep you all informed... Should be able to pick up by Friday... fingers crossed.
Sounds like a great dealer to me I would rather have toyos been running them and nittos for years never had any problems ??

I maybe one of the few but I love my Duratracs , I heard depending on the model the Toyos are better so you may be getting a free upgrade. My alignment guy ( independent shop) hates Goodyears. I plan to wear mine out then make a size change ( taller) and probably a different brand.
So far so good for the Duracraps and me.

Which models of Toyo’s? I love toyo’s and put them on my last several vehicles. On this truck, I’d only consider the R/T’s or M/T’s.

The AT2 extremes are good looking tires and have a great tread life. I can't speak for the newer AT3's though.

mine wandered until I hit 750 miles...now they have settled in...I called a goodyear store and he said the tires come out with a crown and need to be worn in..so I trusted him..he was right

Team,

I am in the process of buying my Tremor and when I was going to pick it up the dealer called me and said that they test drove the truck and the rear end felt "unplanted" at highway speeds (60+) and required some counter steer to correct. No steering wheel vibrations or front end concerns. They want to replace the stock tires with Toyo and believe this will correct the issue. They are doing this free of charge before I pick it up.

Does this sound appropriate. Apparently it was the service manager who drove the truck and recommended the change.

Any thoughts on this?
I think I would ask to drive it...

I think I would ask to drive it...
Mine did the "walk about" for 500 or so miles. It's totally golden right now sitting at 6200 miles. I also had the adaptive steering to get used to. That contributes to the situation. The Duratracs are doing very well had them in mud, sand, mountain trails, highway high speeds. Just did a rotation on them still give them a thumbs up (y)

Thanks again everyone for posting your experiences as it makes the story from the dealer more credible. I will certainly be test driving before I sign.

I glad folks have been happy with Toyo as well and specifically the A/T II, as that will likely be along the lines of what they purchased given they closely align with the OEM’s. Still waiting to hear.

I will post the outcome and pics of the new tires likely by Friday.

thanks again everyone.

Back