D-Ring shackles

Driftwood

First Tremor on Methods!
Retired Mod ⚒️
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor 7.3L Lariat w/ Ultimate & Sport
I'm looking to purchase a set of D-ring shackles, for the first time ever. Any well known brands? There's a TON of them on Amazon for cheap, so I am a bit leery. Anything in particular to look for when buying a set of these?

Debating if I want red, or try to find a blue set to match my truck.

They will be going on my ADD bumper, seen here:

20210328_132924.jpg

Thanks!

D-ring shackles are pretty consistently reliable and cheap so long as they're rated. Make sure it is a rated product (all recovery equipment should be) and not some spray painted piece of generic metal. I know some groups like 7P only use Columbus McKinnon shackles - but really I've never gone wrong with a rated shackle. Bow shackles are much cheaper than soft shackles so you don't necessarily need to be skeptical of cheap bow shackles.

If you're going to have a very heavy bed or a full-time camper I would suggest a pair of Gear America's Mega shackles. I got a pair for particularly heavy pulls on my full-time camper rig and they're very robust. They have a 17,000lb WLL. Great peace of mind. Otherwise, make sure the Working Load Limit is rated and in your range of expected use. The standard 4.75T WLL shackles might be underrated depending what you're planning to do with these big trucks!

Last edited:
D-ring shackles are pretty consistently reliable and cheap so long as they're rated. Make sure it is a rated product (all recovery equipment should be) and not some spray painted piece of generic metal. I know some groups like 7P only use Columbus McKinnon shackles - but really I've never gone wrong with a rated shackle. D-rings are much cheaper than soft shackles so you don't necessarily need to be skeptical of cheap D-rings.

If you're going to have a very heavy bed or a full-time camper I would suggest a pair of Gear America's Mega shackles. I got a pair for particularly heavy pulls on my full-time camper rig and they're very robust. They have a 20,000lb WLL! Great peace of mind. Otherwise, make sure the Working Load Limit is rated and in your range of expected use.

Thanks for that info! ? (y)

+1 to making sure it’s rated.

Make sure you get a bow shackle, not a d-ring. The terms are frequently used interchangeably, but d-rings only have strength perfectly straight on, whereas bow shackles have some side strength due to the shape. When dealing with recoveries rarely is the pull perfectly straight.

Bow shackle (what you want):
1619990089990.jpeg

D-Ring (avoid):
1619990043378.jpeg

I'm really liking this Gear America set (with isolators). $60 seems decent.

GearAmerica Mega Shackles Silver (2PK) | 68,000 lbs Capacity - Stronger than 3/4" D Rings | Tow Shackle + 7/8" Pin + Washers |​

Gear America.jpg

GearAmerica Mega Shackles Silver (2PK) | 68,000 lbs Capacity - Stronger than 3/4" D Rings | Tow Shackle + 7/8" Pin + Washers |​

View attachment 23436
I'm loving mine so far. GearAmerica has a 10% discount - cheaper than Amazon. The little rubber washers (come with) and covers are great if you're planning to leave on your bumper full time. Only concern, they're a little thicker than your standard 4.75T shackle so it might be helpful to also keep one or two smaller shackles in your truck because the Mega probably won't fit other vehicle's recovery points - if you want to be able to recover others (..aka most winching).

I guess I’m late to the party, but I highly recommend Crosby Shakles as another USA made option that’s rated beyond anything we (well at least I) could put them through. ???

Last edited:

These are expensive but look very cool. I ordered one with a Factor55 HitchLink 2.0 - Hitch Receiver Shackle Mount for the rear.

786F0966-87B1-455C-97E7-414CFC69474F.jpeg

I’m a big fan of GearAmerica’s Uber shackles. They have a locking nut that helps them stay secure and not rattle off.

I also secured my shackles “upside down” from what I see most people do. This allows the shackle to rotate when I attach the safety chains. This prevents the shackle from being side loaded (which reduces the overall strength of the shackle)

Another benefit is that my shackle pin is partially held in place by gravity if I ever lost the locking pin, my 2 wires, and my round circular ring I use… and if the pin itself comes unscrewed.

Last edited:
I guess I’m late to the party, but I highly recommend Crosby Shakles as another USA made option that’s rated beyond anything we (well at least I) could put them through. ???
I totally forgot to order the Crosby Shackles when I ordered my Factor 55 Hook. They have free shipping on orders over $100. When this post came up, it reminded me to order a set .. $66.00 + shipping. Shit..!
So, I have a set of Silver Gear America Shackles on their way.
I'm suppose to be saving for a Camper Shell, but no .. Y'all are keepin' me broke. Gotta have this, gotta get that .. I'm kinda glad that King Shocks are taking 6+ months to deliver. Cause, I keep spending from that stash .. ?? ..

View attachment 23436

FYI .. these don't fit our trucks rear Hitch/Chain opening. The Shackle is to big for the Pin to fit threw.

FYI .. these don't fit our trucks rear Hitch/Chain opening. The Shackle is to big for the Pin to fit threw.
Have you tried inserting the pin from the bottom of the hitch? Not from the back. It makes a huge difference it’s how I fit my rhino shackles in my 2.5” hitch.
image.jpg

Edit: added photo

Last edited:
View attachment 23455
I’m a big fan of GearAmerica’s Uber shackles. They have a locking nut that helps them stay secure and not rattle off.

I also secured my shackles “upside down” from what I see most people do. This allows the shackle to rotate when I attach the safety chains. This prevents the shackle from being side loaded (which reduces the overall strength of the shackle)

Another benefit is that my shackle pin is partially held in place by gravity if I ever lost the locking pin, my 2 wires, and my round circular ring I use… and if the pin itself comes unscrewed.
This seems like the correct technique to me, but doesn't work with the 2.5" hitch.

Have you tried inserting the pin from the bottom of the hitch? Not from the back. It makes a huge difference it’s how I fit my rhino shackles in my 2.5” hitch.View attachment 23712
Edit: added photo
I am able to pin those Rhino's head on. The way you have it made noise for me and was marring up the hitch more than seemed necessary.

Last edited:
I am able to pin those Rhino's head on. The way you have it makes too made noise for me and was marring up the hitch more than seemed necessary.
Mine will not fit head on without binding before they are fully tight. I’ve tried 3 different sets I own all with the same problem. The pin binds as the shackle is actually slightly tilted down.

Back