Cut-Out relay for winch power

maxspongebob

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor
I have heard horror stories about vandals doing bad things with winches on parked vehicles. So whenever I install a winch the first thing in the power circuit is a 500 amp continuous duty relay. One side of the relay is hooked to the battery and the other is hooked to the winch controller. On the Tremor I used an up-fitter switch as a winch enable to activate the relay sending power to the winch controller. Also, although the installation instructions that come with the winch say connect it to the passenger (main) battery, I connected to the auxiliary battery instead.

To activate the winch requires that you have the key on so no vandal can hook your winch line over the top to your rear bumper and use their controller to reel it in.

2021-04-22 17.09.12.jpg
2021-04-22 17.08.57.jpg

2021-04-22 17.50.31.jpg

RedZilla

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F350 King Ranch Tremor - Big Red (RedZilla) Rapid Red/Stone Gray
Current Ride #2
05 F150 Lariat - Ol' Red
Dealer installed mine and I was surprised I could operate it without turning anything else on. Just walk up, plug in hand control and push the button. I may have to make this mod on mine. Thanks for posting! 🍻

DocTremor

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Tremor 6.7
Hi there. I have a question. Am I not able to just hook mine into the Upfitter switch and achieve the same safety result. What does the 500 amp relay do? Is it just to protect the switch? Thanks for the info!

Gingersnap155

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Hi there. I have a question. Am I not able to just hook mine into the Upfitter switch and achieve the same safety result. What does the 500 amp relay do? Is it just to protect the switch? Thanks for the info!
Your switch is rated at 20-40A depending on which one. The wiring to the factory upfitter relays can’t handle the full power of the winch in both wire size and relay size. So the upfitter relay trigger this relay as it can handle the load.
with your upfitter the wiring size and relay size are predetermined if you tried to run the winch power off of it directly it would pop the relay/fuse and pull a lot of amps through the tiny wire risking fire.
(Tried to make that as simple as I could.)

Reactions: ccw
OP
maxspongebob

maxspongebob

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor
Your switch is rated at 20-40A depending on which one. The wiring to the factory upfitter relays can’t handle the full power of the winch in both wire size and relay size. So the upfitter relay trigger this relay as it can handle the load.
with your upfitter the wiring size and relay size are predetermined if you tried to run the winch power off of it directly it would pop the relay/fuse and pull a lot of amps through the tiny wire risking fire.
Said perfectly. Thanks.

DocTremor

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Tremor 6.7
Thanks for the good info!

Latest Discussions

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge