Cruise Choices - I'm not understanding the difference...

Forever & Ever Woods

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
2011 Ford Raptor (Total Loss)
Current Ride #2
1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 - 45k miles
This is a $740 upgrade (F350 KR Tremor)

Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support

...will eliminate...

Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and Forward Collision Warning

What's the difference and do I need to spend this $740 for this add?

Yes you need this. ?

The default option brakes in an emergency to aid your response in a potential collision.

The adaptive cruise option allows you to set a speed and forget it. In other words, the truck slows down and speeds up depending on whatever randomness drivers in front of you are up to (down to a speed of 10 or 20 mph I believe.)

How I use it: As soon as I get on the highway I set cruise at 80 mph. I don’t touch the gas or brakes again until I get off the highway.

It takes some getting used to - like driving a car - but once you’re used to it there’s no going back. And I had already been spoiled by other vehicles with self-driving features.

Yes you need this. ?

The default option brakes in an emergency to aid your response in a potential collision.

The adaptive cruise option allows you to set a speed and forget it. In other words, the truck slows down and speeds up depending on whatever randomness drivers in front of you are up to (down to a speed of 10 or 20 mph I believe.)

How I use it: As soon as I get on the highway I set cruise at 80 mph. I don’t touch the gas or brakes again until I get off the highway.

It takes some getting used to - like driving a car - but once you’re used to it there’s no going back. And I had already been spoiled by other vehicles with self-driving features.
My wife had a Hyundai that had something like this. It slowed all the way to a stop at a light. Will this come to a complete stop as well?

My wife had a Hyundai that had something like this. It slowed all the way to a stop at a light. Will this come to a complete stop as well?

I’m not sure, but I think so. At a light it starts screaming and yelling at you once it’s down to ~10 mph so, naturally, you take over.

I haven’t dared let it come to a complete stop but I don’t see why it wouldn’t. (And other cars I’ve had with this feature did.)

I’m not sure, but I think so. At a light it starts screaming and yelling at you once it’s down to ~10 mph so, naturally, you take over.

I haven’t dared let it come to a complete stop but I don’t see why it wouldn’t. (And other cars I’ve had with this feature did.
Yeah, I'm with ya! I ONLY dared the first time to test this out while I was driving her Hyundai and she was driving my Raptor. I followed her and was willing to take the gamble - it paid off - the car stopped automatically and started automatically once she started driving.

Yes, I got a chance to experience this last weekend. By accident. Did a good job.

To fully clarify the removal the online tool is talking about: that’s just the standard stuff being removed because all of that functionality is included with adaptive cruise. The message is honestly a bit misleading.

Getting the Adaptive Cruise option is purely additive. There’s no trade-off with it other than cost. :)

I had adaptive cruise on my f150. It was very uncomfortable testing it but I can say it would bring the truck to a complete stop. It was a very abrupt stop. Personally I didn't like the adaptive cruise and I disabled it on that truck. Now I don't have it and don't miss it, but to each their own.

The adaptive cruise in the super duty is not the same as in the F-150. It is not stop and go adaptive cruise. The AEB may stop you but the adaptive cruise stops functioning at 12 MPH. Still very nice to have but not as nice as the stop and go but I’m not surprised they didn’t do that with a truck meant to haul or tow heavy loads.
92342AF3-9B80-40BD-AF0C-65C2B3AAAA03.jpeg

The adaptive cruise in the super duty is not the same as in the F-150. It is not stop and go adaptive cruise. The AEB may stop you but the adaptive cruise stops functioning at 12 MPH. Still very nice to have but not as nice as the stop and go but I’m not surprised they didn’t do that with a truck meant to haul or tow heavy loads.View attachment 26556
Is that from the MY22 manual or earlier?

My concern, and I do use the adaptive cruise control is the possibility of excessive brake wear. Once I pulled off the hwy to a stop and could smell the brake pads. This has only happened once. But if a vehicle suddenly moves over in front of you the brake application is too abrupt in my opinion. I believe it is a nice feature, but choose to only use it on Highways with moderate traffic.

Both are pretty annoying they’re way too sensitive for me the Cruise control almost brings you to a stop even though you’re already changing lanes May be better in areas with less traffic

I was never interested in the ACC and considered it somewhat gimmicky. Then last weekend I was in SLC and had a rental 2021 Platinum F-150 that had it. I put 608 miles on that thing in 2.5 days and the ACC is AMAZING! Totally changes freeway driving. Added it to my Tremor order when I got home.

Was a little hesitant to add it in the case I eventually get an off-road front bumper. But it seems the industry has solved the issue with ACC relocation brackets.

I’d go for it.

Have loved it since Day 1 three years ago on our Volvo. Of course it also has self-driving which is great on a long drive. Ford's adaptive cruise isn't as good as Volvo's, which works perfectly in SoCal stop-and-go traffic, but it is still a big bonus as long as you know its limitations and compensate by hitting Cancel when some idiot cuts in front of you.

Both are pretty annoying they’re way too sensitive for me the Cruise control almost brings you to a stop even though you’re already changing lanes May be better in areas with less traffic
I agree with this.

I think it can also be dangerous. When coming up on a car I find a light foot on the gas will keep it from slowing down and allow a lane change without a sudden slow down that ends up cutting people off in the other lane.

I can now watch and tell who is using it on the Interstate. People tend to come up on traffic and it slows them down to a safe following distance. They don't realize it and traffic begins to back up behind them causing a lot of lane changing to go around them. All the time they're "safe" by traveling with the flow of traffic and at a safe distance. Meanwhile others are pushed to go around them on the right and then change lanes back to the left in front of them which causes their car to slam on the brakes even though the car in front of them is pulling away from them. That just causes more problems in the back up behind them.

This is the worst when coming up on a convoy of trucks. I've been happily driving down I-5 in the Valley only to come up on hundreds of jammed together cars behind some guy using his adaptive cruise getting cut off by angry people going around him and the trucks.

Get the adaptive cruise but know where to use it. It's awesome on rural winding highways. Using it in traffic is dangerous. Is it the tool? No, it's people's laziness when using it.

It’s from a 21 but I’m certain that it is the same system in the 22. When they add stop and go to the adaptive cruise control they always clearly advertise it.

This is from the 21 F-150 and they clearly state that it has stop and go also.

Attachments

• 2504EBE5-3311-478E-84AD-56F59B3F4D4F.jpeg
    2504EBE5-3311-478E-84AD-56F59B3F4D4F.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
Back