Cover-up for Fake Wood Panel Inserts on Interior Door Panels?

Mach'er

Race Red Slappy
Reaction Points
Military
Army Veteran
Current Ride
20MY Tremor (250 Lariat)
So, I'm still in my 'pre-build date' planning and buying frenzy, apparently.

I've been looking at galleries of interior pictures, and just can't get used to the faux wood grain panels that are on the interior door panels, just behind each pull handle. They just look too... well... fake woody. My current truck has some black inserts there, which matches the black interior so much better.

Other than swapping out the entire interior door panel (on all four doors!), I don't see a way to change that trim panel. What I mean is it appears to be integral to the panel, not a separate replaceable trim piece from the door panel.

I see some aftermarket coverups available: Vinyl in a couple different finishes - which seem really cheap... Actual carbon fiber formed appliques (which must adhere over the faux wood) - which seem really expensive... I would want it too look good, but not be exorbitantly expensive.

So, yeah, I know now that I could have gone with a Platinum... But, well, I ordered a Lariat. So, any recommended products that work well? Or, just as importantly, any warnings about something that maybe isn't a quality solution? Or, maybe it's just the pictures I'm seeing. If you think it looks fine, and you've got a Lariat with the black interior, please post a picture or two - and perhaps save me some money and time, as maybe the pics I'm seeing aren't representative enough!

Thanks! This forum is the best.

agree those look crappy. I hate fake anything. when we were shopping for my wife's car, one we looked at had shitloads of obviously fake carbon fiber all over the interior. It's like, WHY?

So we ended up getting her a VW Atlas that has fake exhaust tips LOL....the actual sheet metal tail pipes are hidden behind and in no way attached to the fake tips.

following this to see if you find a good solution.

Are you talking about the darker colored wood grain?

Are you talking about the darker colored wood grain?

I'm talking about the circled thing in this picture. I've seen pictures where it looks darker, and some that look lighter. If you have a Lariat with the black interior, I'd love to see a well lit picture of what ours actually looks like. Thanks.
F250interior1_annotated.jpg

While I realize that we all might not agree on everything, I have a wood background and I think it looks fantastic. I will try and remember to post up a pic later today.

If anything looks/feels cheap it is the steering wheel and the column shifter.

Also, if building... why don't you go down to the dealer and look at trucks on the lot to be sure?

Door

Attachments

• 0EDE4A7F-A9A5-475A-8C55-7CC923896E6E.jpeg
    0EDE4A7F-A9A5-475A-8C55-7CC923896E6E.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 60
While I realize that we all might not agree on everything, I have a wood background and I think it looks fantastic.

You're absolutely right that everybody's got their own tastes and opinions. No worries.

In my picture search to bide my time while waiting for my truck to be built, I've seen various shots that makes it look like several different shades of wood could be in that spot. Its the lighter ones that I can't get behind, and would absolutely have to do something about. The darker colors, the higher chance I'd think it could look good with the black interior. Like your picture. That looks pretty good.

Also, if building... why don't you go down to the dealer and look at trucks on the lot to be sure?

My local dealer doesn't have any Super Duty trucks on their lot. If I wait to see one there, I'll probably be waiting till I see my own truck. I guess I'll go search out other dealers stock and see if I can find a Lariat with black interior on a lot.

Ultimately, I guess I'll hold off on a pre-delivery mod purchase in this case. But I wish I knew why I see so many different shades of wood tone in that spot on the web. Model year? Trim level?

I hope mine looks like @abill's, then I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the picture.

You're absolutely right that everybody's got their own tastes and opinions. No worries.

In my picture search to bide my time while waiting for my truck to be built, I've seen various shots that makes it look like several different shades of wood could be in that spot. Its the lighter ones that I can't get behind, and would absolutely have to do something about. The darker colors, the higher chance I'd think it could look good with the black interior. Like your picture. That looks pretty good.

My local dealer doesn't have any Super Duty trucks on their lot. If I wait to see one there, I'll probably be waiting till I see my own truck. I guess I'll go search out other dealers stock and see if I can find a Lariat with black interior on a lot.

Ultimately, I guess I'll hold off on a pre-delivery mod purchase in this case. But I wish I knew why I see so many different shades of wood tone in that spot on the web. Model year? Trim level?

I hope mine looks like @abill's, then I'll just leave it as is. Thanks for the picture.
I couldnt stand that the Platinums didnt come with a Blacked Out Package. Which is such a great look. But i hated that wood faux on the doors and the phone charger area. That was one of the things that made me stick with Platinum. Plus the steering wheel was better quality and love the Platinum badges on the seats. So yeah the Platinum wood faux are really black. I went to the dealers and looked into it. Its the only ones that come that way.

I wish Ford would offer the carbon fiber package (or something more sporty looking) from the Raptor on the Tremor. Also on the Sport Appearance package or whatever they call it now, it would be nice if they offered some type of interior leather appearance, such as an accent stitching color. By a blue truck get blue thread, red truck red thread. I just think the interior on the Lariat Sport is boring/plain looking. Especially since the outside of these truck looks badass.

1601069163535.png

Check out this video on Utube. This guy put in carbon fiber inserts that you were talking about. They looked good to me. Also I want this 12” tablet screen for the radio. Gotta check out the video. You can watch Netflix and your local hockey channel in your Tremor. But you would need to pay the monthly fee to Ford to get WiFi. Tell me what you think.

Check out this video on Utube. This guy put in carbon fiber inserts that you were talking about. They looked good to me. Also I want this 12” tablet screen for the radio. Gotta check out the video. You can watch Netflix and your local hockey channel in your Tremor. But you would need to pay the monthly fee to Ford to get WiFi. Tell me what you think.
Hmmm... Okay. More things to consider. I think this whole idea is moving down on my priority list. Its all going to be dependent on my reaction to my truck's look, I guess, when it shows up. I'm hoping the web pictures don't tell the story. Hard to let go of the Raptor, maybe? And I wish the Tremor had some of that interior look - you're damn right there, @Grabber.

YouTube peeps... Don't show your nav system screen, then claim to be in Mexico. Lol. Just like I lost my Rec10 in a horrible kayak accident. Wait, whoops.
Rec10_BlurSN.jpg

Hmmm... Okay. More things to consider. I think this whole idea is moving down on my priority list. Its all going to be dependent on my reaction to my truck's look, I guess, when it shows up. I'm hoping the web pictures don't tell the story. Hard to let go of the Raptor, maybe? And I wish the Tremor had some of that interior look - you're damn right there, @Grabber.

YouTube peeps... Don't show your nav system screen, then claim to be in Mexico. Lol. Just like I lost my Rec10 in a horrible kayak accident. Wait, whoops.
View attachment 5889
Looks Like reach out and touch something That is some fun there !!!!

View attachment 5889
Dude that is one sick ass Rifle. You’re a sick ass Dude. ?

Love the rifle!!!

View attachment 5889
Barrett Rec10 .308 that will lay over about anything here in Texas. Badass firearm!

Back