Cost to order direct / pick what you want

Evan_Carolina85

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2019 F250 XLT 6.7 PWStroke
I’ve never ordered a vehicle direct I’ve always picked one from the lot. What if any are the added costs to do so, should I consider the build your own estimate to be fairly close to cost of direct order for a tremor?

The waiting is the only bad thing. But knowing you are getting everything you wanted and not paying for something you didnt need makes it so much better

You can order it and pay a deposit of $500 or $1000 and pick out exactly what you want, color, options, etc. some dealers will negotiate some will not, call around and ask. There should be no added costs. The benefit is you get exactly what you want, and you know the price going into it. Once the truck arrives on the lot you then purchase it or do the loan paperwork, if you change your mind you may lose your security deposit and they will just sell it to someone else. Also, some dealers have allotments that they are given for preorders and and some run out once they are filled this early, otherwise you may have to buy one that is made closest to what you want, or wait and order down the road. Call around and ask that too. Best of luck. They are all correct though, the waiting game is what sucks.

You can order it and pay a deposit of $500 or $1000 and pick out exactly what you want, color, options, etc. some dealers will negotiate some will not, call around and ask.

You can also pay $0 deposit. I did $0 down on my 2018 Raptor and 2020 Tremor. Depends on the dealer and your relationship with them.

Some dealers (like mine) didn't even require a deposit. My dealer said whether they ask for one or not is based on your prior dealings with them, AND whether they think your custom vehicle order would be easily sold (based on its actual content) if you back out.

The estimated net price when you do a Build & Price is just the ~sticker price. Note that the online Build & Price is still the 2020MY prices, which you can't order anyway. 2021MY pricing changed (I think), but just a bit higher (or so I've heard). But still, even when it does eventually update to 21MY pricing, it's just an estimate of what that sticker price will be. Unless you have A, X, or Z plan access, your final actual price is still subject to the same negotiation skills you'd have to demonstrate for a truck off the lot.

As @Antimatterbluetremor said, the biggest things to consider are the wait, and the dealer allotment thing. The allotment thing is why someone who ordered a month or more after someone else can get their truck built weeks earlier. Doesn't seem fair, but it's business and not corndogs and tilt-a-whirls. You don't have to think about any of that if you buy off the lot - but then you're probably compromising on $omething or other (or more).

I ordered and will only get what I'll use. Anyone else find the $1400 sunroof ridiculous? No extra costs and no deposit needed

I ordered and will only get what I'll use. Anyone else find the $1400 sunroof ridiculous? No extra costs and no deposit needed
Nah, just the opposite. I love my sunroof. Any chance to get a bit of sunlight, I'm taking it. But you thinking it's ridiculous, and me loving it - that's why it's optional.

I do think it's ridiculous that virtually every truck ordered for dealer stock has it (at least around here). Cause, yeah, not everyone loves or wants to pay for it.

I am working on ordering from local dealer, went in with an offer on a inbound truck that has most the options I want, they didn't want to sell it that low, due to having no trucks on lot, and offered to order a 2021 for the same discount (~9%) I was asking. This way I will get the options I want at a price I am happy with. No deposit, no obligation if I find a vehicle elsewhere, sales manager said he won't have a problem selling it.

I am working on ordering from local dealer, went in with an offer on a inbound truck that has most the options I want, they didn't want to sell it that low, due to having no trucks on lot, and offered to order a 2021 for the same discount (~9%) I was asking. This way I will get the options I want at a price I am happy with. No deposit, no obligation if I find a vehicle elsewhere, sales manager said he won't have a problem selling it.

Do you mind sharing which dealership this is? are they local to you? Just started looking at potentially ordering a '21 and willing to drive for the right deal. I'll be pinging the local Ford stores this weekend to see what they're willing to do but this is a good reference point. Thanks

New here, but very intrigued by the Tremor. Is the dealer build list different than the web? I am not seeing the Warn Winch option on the Tremor builds I have played with. ?? Thanks!

the wait time

New here, but very intrigued by the Tremor. Is the dealer build list different than the web? I am not seeing the Warn Winch option on the Tremor builds I have played with. ?? Thanks!
Yes, it is available. Option code is 15W. I think it requires dual batteries (which also requires the 397A alternator on the 7.3L - not sure with the diesel). It's like $3000.

Read through the various winch threads on this forum.

Yes, it is available. Option code is 15W. I think it requires dual batteries (which also requires the 397A alternator on the 7.3L - not sure with the diesel). It's like $3000.

I get that it is available, I am just curious if I am missing it on Ford's Build your own truck page, or if it can only be ordered via the dealer's links / site?

I get that it is available, I am just curious if I am missing it on Ford's Build your own truck page, or if it can only be ordered via the dealer's links / site?

Tl:dr version;
Not on build and price. Can order.

Ford's website is still on the 2020 MY. The winch is a 2021 MY option, so it's not shown there.

Go to Costcoautos.com. You can build a 2021 with every option available and it shows invoice pricing and MSRP.
Also If you go to Mustang of America club and sign up for 25$ you can get an X PLAN pin# and you get it at a no screw around price.
But try to call around to dealers and ask if you place an order and if they can you go below invoice pricing. Tell them I will call around and get the dealer that will give it to me for below invoice. If you order your truck it’s a sale they would not have. Great opportunity for the buyer to negotiate.
There’s been so much conversations on this. People have gotten their builds 1,000$ below invoice. I got mine with X Plan even after I placed my order. My MSRP for Platinum and just about every option including the winch was 94,000$ but saved 5,200$ with X Plan. 88,800$ Good luck.

Go to Costcoautos.com. You can build a 2021 with every option available and it shows invoice pricing and MSRP.
Also If you go to Mustang of America club and sign up for 25$ you can get an X PLAN pin# and you get it at a no screw around price.
But try to call around to dealers and ask if you place an order and if they can you go below invoice pricing. Tell them I will call around and get the dealer that will give it to me for below invoice. If you order your truck it’s a sale they would not have. Great opportunity for the buyer to negotiate.
There’s been so much conversations on this. People have gotten their builds 1,000$ below invoice. I got mine with X Plan even after I placed my order. My MSRP for Platinum and just about every option including the winch was 94,000$ but saved 5,200$ with X Plan. 88,800$ Good luck.
Plus you can still can add a PCO (Public Cash Offer which is an incentive to take $ off your offer) up to the date of delivery for another 2,500$ off and still include other rebates when they come available upto the time you pick it up. Why get a 2020 this late in the game unless it’s such a great deal.

Do you mind sharing which dealership this is? are they local to you? Just started looking at potentially ordering a '21 and willing to drive for the right deal. I'll be pinging the local Ford stores this weekend to see what they're willing to do but this is a good reference point. Thanks

Not a done deal yet, so who knows what reality will be. Damerow Ford is where I went.
Was shopping Platinums because it seems dealers always miss an option or two on loading out Lariats. Since I am ordering I might do a Lariat Sport, still trying to decide so haven't committed yet. Also hoping to grab a PCO before placing order.
I saw a dealer in the Sac area with a 5% or higher markup, blows my mind that anyone buys from them.

Not a done deal yet, so who knows what reality will be. Damerow Ford is where I went.
Was shopping Platinums because it seems dealers always miss an option or two on loading out Lariats. Since I am ordering I might do a Lariat Sport, still trying to decide so haven't committed yet. Also hoping to grab a PCO before placing order.
I saw a dealer in the Sac area with a 5% or higher markup, blows my mind that anyone buys from them.
Good luck my man.

Back