Considering Downsizing To A Ford Raptor

There has been some informative replies so far. What I did not add to my original post because I did not want to make it any longer than it was already, is the practical use side of me has also been considering a '21+ f150 platinum with a 4" lift. It would provide improved mpg, better ride quality, maintain enough versatility for my use case, provide ride height similar to the Tremor with a slightly more nimble and maneuverable package. My concern with a lift on the f150 though is the commitment that once the frame is cut and a lift is installed there is no easy going back.
So really I guess it boils down to:

- 21+ F150 Platinum with a 4" suspension lift and 35's
- gen 2 or gen 3 F150 Raptor
- Keep the Tremor and spend the money to put 37"s and a level/lift on the truck.

My fear is adding a lift and wheels/tires and lift to the 7.3 and kicking the crap out of the mpg even further. If I had a requirement to keep a 3/4 ton truck for my towing needs it would definitely be a different situation.

It's a tough choice.
With a 4" lift and bigger tires on the Platinum F150, you're going to take a big hit with that one as well.

I know this a tremor forum but would like some opinions from previous/current raptor owners who are now tremor owners.

I have read several threads here where guys have stepped up from a Raptor to their Tremor's due to towing requirements or still own both. I am interested in gathering some feedback from those owners on their experiences. I am now in a position where I am seriously considering downsizing from my tremor 7.3L platinum to a '18-'21 Raptor. My requirements for owning a HD for towing has changed to the point where I no longer *require* it. I have access to two other 3/4 ton's on the occasion they may be needed. I am downsizing my current 7.5 x 29 EH vnose snowmobile trailer to likely a 2 place tandem axle hybrid style and purchasing another separate 7x12 or 7x14 tandem axle or single axle with brakes for my dirt bike racing setup. Easily within the capability of a Raptor.

So as a result, I have been seriously thinking of going back to a 1/2 ton but to a Raptor. When I crunch the numbers, by the time I spend the money on the Tremor to get a similar on-road quality ride with tires/wheels (37/18 or 37/20), carli commuter, torsion sway bar, deaver leaf pack, etc.) then factor shipping, taxes, currency, etc. I will be in 10-15k Canadian. I could purchase a Raptor and not really have to spend anything on it.

If I do go the Raptor route, I was thinking either an 18 or 19 OR a '21 gen 3. The gen 2 route would allow me to trade down without any additional outlay of money. I know the 19's came with the live valve shocks and upgraded gauge functionality. I do prefer the exterior styling of the gen2 more then the gen 3. But I would prefer a gen3 '21+ for the coil suspension, upgraded NAV screen and gauge cluster, adjustable exhaust, drive modes, etc. but I would be paying the difference, anywhere upwards of 15K based on current market prices. I could look at it as I would be spending that much extra on the Tremor anyways, with the likelihood I lose another 1.5-2mpg with the larger tire setup on the 7.3 . But I do like not having payments! I also suspect I would see an increase in mpg from my current 7.3l's 14.5-15mpg (stock) to upwards of 17 to 18mpg on the Raptor given my driving situation, mostly rural 55-60mph county roads.

So all that said, I am curious if anyone who has owned or does currently own a Raptor think it would be a foolish decision to give up a paid off '22 Superduty to convert to an older Raptor? The only thing I would potentially need to do is bump up the rear suspension for towing the two aforementioned smaller trailers. And in terms of model years, anyone have an opinion on that?
Which one makes the base of your anatomy tingle? Whichever one that is - there's your choice.

Last edited:
There has been some informative replies so far. What I did not add to my original post because I did not want to make it any longer than it was already, is the practical use side of me has also been considering a '21+ f150 platinum with a 4" lift. It would provide improved mpg, better ride quality, maintain enough versatility for my use case, provide ride height similar to the Tremor with a slightly more nimble and maneuverable package. My concern with a lift on the f150 though is the commitment that once the frame is cut and a lift is installed there is no easy going back.
So really I guess it boils down to:

- 21+ F150 Platinum with a 4" suspension lift and 35's
- gen 2 or gen 3 F150 Raptor
- Keep the Tremor and spend the money to put 37"s and a level/lift on the truck.

My fear is adding a lift and wheels/tires and lift to the 7.3 and kicking the crap out of the mpg even further. If I had a requirement to keep a 3/4 ton truck for my towing needs it would definitely be a different situation.

It's a tough choice.
Just buy a raptor so you don’t ever wonder. Kinda what I did. Sounds like you’re a little bored and if you’re going to make a “mistake” make one with a raptor. I needed to have a raptor just so in the future I would never wonder / loathe not having one. Even if you bought a platinum with 4” lift it’s not a raptor so every time you pass one you will still want one. The 23’ super duty year is going to be short so if you regret it the 24’ order banks should open up next summer.

With a 4" lift and bigger tires on the Platinum F150, you're going to take a big hit with that one as well.
Totally agree and am prepared for that. My thought was, and of course there are variables, is that if the truck averages 18-19mpg or higher with a 3.5L ecoboost and 3.55 gears, than a 4" lift (max) with 35" AT's would maybe take it down to around 15-16mpg? I would be okay with that.

From what I have read , a level with 37"s on the 7.3L tremor would take me from around 14.5 down to like 12-13. Although it may not necessarily be a significant drop, it already hurts a bit with the current mileage. I was hoping with the 4.30's in the Tremor that 37's would end up around the same mpg given the larger diameter wheel *should* lower RPM's at highway speed. I do get the additional tire mass though, but with the 4.30s I would not think it significant. Figured it might kind of balance out?

Anyone with experience or thoughts on these numbers? Does that sound about right? Too conservative? Too aggressive?

Just buy a raptor so you don’t ever wonder. Kinda what I did. Sounds like you’re a little bored and if you’re going to make a “mistake” make one with a raptor. I needed to have a raptor just so in the future I would never wonder / loathe not having one. Even if you bought a platinum with 4” lift it’s not a raptor so every time you pass one you will still want one. The 23’ super duty year is going to be short so if you regret it the 24’ order banks should open up next summer.
Very valid point. I just worry that after a month or two the novelty might wear off. I read different comments that the Raptor gets poor mileage. But in comparison to what? What is considered "poor" mileage if compared to something like our 7.3L Tremors? Of course I am by no means expecting equivalent to the 2.7L for example, but if you are not always hard into it, I would think 16-18 mpg would be obtainable? I see reports all over the map so its hard to determine. Don't get me wrong, it is not all about MPG. But if I am going to end up in the same spot mileage wise with a less capable truck it makes for a tough argument against the Tremor, whether I require its capabilities right now or not.

Very valid point. I just worry that after a month or two the novelty might wear off. I read different comments that the Raptor gets poor mileage. But in comparison to what? What is considered "poor" mileage if compared to something like our 7.3L Tremors? Of course I am by no means expecting equivalent to the 2.7L for example, but if you are not always hard into it, I would think 16-18 mpg would be obtainable? I see reports all over the map so its hard to determine. Don't get me wrong, it is not all about MPG. But if I am going to end up in the same spot mileage wise with a less capable truck it makes for a tough argument against the Tremor, whether I require its capabilities right now or not.
Playing Devils advocate here... Your could get a 3.5 Power boost F150 and your towing, fuel economy, performance needs would all be covered. I know several people that have them now and both love it. Both tow fairly heavy trailers on occasion but use it as a daily driver and get ~22mpg commuting. Not a bad compromise!

I think the applicable term here is "paralysis by analysis". Just get the truck you really want, and let the chips fall where they may. The words "fuel economy" and "truck" don't belong in same sentence much less an entire conversation. Dropping coin on lifts, bigger tires, and other accessories more than cancels out any money saved on mpg gains. The day I get worried about 2 or 3 mpg's is the day I trade my truck in for a Honda Civic. I drive a Superduty because I want to and I need to on some occasions. Then just deal with it at the fuel station.

I think this easily boils down to what kind of capability you need. A Raptor can't be compared to a Tremor the same as a Tremor can't be compared to a Raptor. I don't mean this in a bad way, but to me a Raptor is a toy while a Tremor is a truck. Just like with most toys, they're fun until there not.

I purchased a '17 Raptor when the gen 2 first came out. I had a ton of fun driving it. It was a good replacement for my sports car but couldn't replace my HD truck due to the payload/towing limits. After having my Tremor for about 6 months I pretty much lost interest in the Raptor and decided to sell it for a Bronco. If I didn't have the need to haul or tow anything heavy, I would probably consider the F150 Tremor with the coyote V8.

raptor-tremor.jpeg

Old School SVT Raptor with lift and 37s, Borla exhaust! lots of fun, will go thru anything and can do huge burn outs like a muscle car................ but it ain't worth a darn for towing anything larger than a single place snowmobile trailer ( empty )

It's kinda fast but can't pass the gas station with 10-11MPG and the small fuel tank.
IMG_5171.jpeg

Came from a 17 raptor. I don't tow heavy and don't carry heavy loads. Got the f250 tremor for the overall looks with a bench seat which was required for family seating. I didn't want to do a f150 with bench. I love the f250 but when my seating requirements change from 6 to lower I s will be back in a raptor. I use to average 16 in the raptor with 70/30 city. In the f250 I average 14.5-14.8 and I'm impressed with that. Freeway mileage averages about the same for both trucks I had at 20-22.

mine was older, 2011, but i was never impressed with the onroad ride. so when you mention doing all that stuff to a 250, i wouldn't at all compare that to a stock raptor. compared to my 2011, it would FAR FAR exceed the ride quality. remember the raptor doesn't stock have the same capacity as a normal 1/2 ton, i had to add airbags just for a 23' boat. i love the space of the 250, not sure how 250 crew compares to 150 crew, i had a scab. but the big bed is nice too. giving up more than just tow capacity, but if you don't need it the raptor is probably my favorite vehicle i've ever owned.

150 and 250 share the same interior dimensions and design. They are the same.

Reactions: ccw
i love the space of the 250, not sure how 250 crew compares to 150 crew

150 and 250 share the same interior dimensions and design. They are the same.
Bingo, Jspeers89. Just to make it crystal clear: the sheet metal for the cab is shared between the Super Duty and F-150. Literally identical sheet metal, thus the same amount of space.

Major components in the interior are shared, though there are some styling differences between them. But the seats, displays, and gauges are all shared, for example. The biggest differences you will see between the interiors is if the F-150 does a generational jump, the Super Duty will generally lag that by a model year or two. But it will catch up to match (barring the stylistic tweaks).

Back