Comp. Insurance and fuel contamination

Rockshot

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
23' F250
My research shows that the CP4 failure, although pretty uncommon, does happen and could potentially leave the owner with a hefty repair bill. I've heard of people that have got it covered by insurance or by ford when water isnt present and others that have not so I've tried to dig deeper to find an insurance company that would cover a fuel system failure by unintentional contamination (water or algae in fuel station tanks) and negligence by the owner (putting gas or def in diesel fuel tank.)

I focused on state farm because that's who I currently have and I also heard 2 or 3 online reports of them covering repairs in these exact situations. The result of my conversations with several different state farm locations and speaking with claims was that every instance of accidental fuel contamination where a person put the wrong fuel in thier tank was covered by state farm. I got 4 different instances from the people I spoke with. With the example of water in tanks causing failure state farm said that its very likely they would send an adjuster and potentially go after the fuel station depending on the situation but they would cover the repairs regardless and prior to resolution with the fuel station if they even pursued them at all. There was one specific example of this scenario. They even said that tracking fuel reciepts for proof likely wouldn't be nessessary to get covered but was good idea regardless. They would also need proof of contamination from a certified mechanic. My general conclusion to this was that there is a very good chance that state farm will cover fuel system failures from contaminated fuel for various situations. The easiest way was actually if the owner put gas or def in the diesel. Comprehensive insurance is needed for this to be covered. I would imagine if State Farm comprehensive covers this several other insurance companies comprehensive insurance would cover fuel system contamination and failures also.

Giecko mechanical break insurance was also a promising option. They had no situations they could provide to me with this senario but said it would likely be covered in the case of contaminated fuel at a fuel station. MBI can also be used as a sort of extended warranty And I've read good reviews of geico's MBI.

I'm sure a lot of people already know this info but I figured it was note worthy to help current or prospective diesel owners have peace of mind that at least some insurance companies will likely have their back in the rare event this happens.

Interesting information. Was not aware this was a thing.

Wonder how the cost of this added insurance over thellife of the truck compares to a cp4 disaster kit

Giecko mechanical break insurance was also a promising option. They had no situations they could provide to me with this senario but said it would likely be covered in the case of contaminated fuel at a fuel station. MBI can also be used as a sort of extended warranty And I've read good reviews of geico's MBI.
I'm insured through Geico and I had no idea this policy existed! I'm calling them now for a quote and I don't even have a 6.7!

Thanks for sharing!

I'm insured through Geico and I had no idea this policy existed! I'm calling them now for a quote and I don't even have a 6.7!

Thanks for sharing!
Aaaand turns out I already have it. :D Costs me a whopping $13 every 6 months, so I'll take that piece of mind.

Back