Common Problems with High Mileage SD/6.7 PSD trucks?

tylerangle

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Ram 2500
Hey everyone, new here obviously, looking for some info not exclusive to Tremors but just overall reliability on '17+ Super Duty. I'm talking about the ones that have put 200k+ on them here. I put a lot of miles on and I'd really like to know from anyone else who has done this with late model 6.7 powerstroke/Super Duty trucks what kind of issues you've seen and at what mileage. I've been driving my '09 Ram 2500/6.7 for a while and want to see how a super duty would compare in upkeep. Not talking about oil changes fuel filters or scheduled maintenance here. I'm looking more for things like fan clutch, water pump, hvac actuators, fuel pumps, major mechanical engjne/trans/driveline or suspension issues. I'm looking at potentially a 6.7 PSD truck because after owning a diesel so long I could never go back to gas. I'm addicted to the power and efficiency of diesel. If you're a gas truck owner feel free to comment as well. Help is much appreciated here. I've been happy with my Dodge for a long time and had a few really bad experiences with older Fords but the new trucks have me considering giving them another shot, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into first to compare with my firsthand dodge ownership experience. Please don't make this a dodge vs ford debate that's not what I'm looking for. Just tell me what issues you've had if any and at what mileage. Also tell me how many miles you personally put on the truck please. I don't need someone who's bought it with 225k but only put on 1500 miles telling me they've never had any issues because that info is obviously not very helpful.

so i can only give you suggestions go check out this video he is a hotshot drivers so drives like crazy and uses alot of 2020 6.7 F350 dually to hotshot he has been through 3 of them and already got one to 75k miles in a few months

he had a few dodges but he has nothing but good things about the Ford and had a few problems with his dodges but to be far the dodges are a little olders and have more miles but he is doing nothing but towing and that is the ultimate torture test.... check out his channel i really watch to see how the fords are doing

Guess I am going to find out first hand. I don't have the miles but I choose the Tremor because, I felt Ford would stand behind it and they have a lot evolution in their products to insure long lasting reliability. I got away from the Cummins trucks because they did not hold up over the long haul. Rusted out, tranny problems, wiring problems, front end, brakes, cooling lines to transmission. The axles were great and of course the Cummins.
There are more Ford dealerships in my area and areas that I travel to so I feel confident if there is an issue I can get it resolved.

so i can only give you suggestions go check out this video he is a hotshot drivers so drives like crazy and uses alot of 2020 6.7 F350 dually to hotshot he has been through 3 of them and already got one to 75k miles in a few months

he had a few dodges but he has nothing but good things about the Ford and had a few problems with his dodges but to be far the dodges are a little olders and have more miles but he is doing nothing but towing and that is the ultimate torture test.... check out his channel i really watch to see how the fords are doing

Pretty much anything holds up for 75k these days though. That's why I'm looking for high mileage. You really don't need to do anything serious to any of the current diesels until they start getting over 100k.

i understand that... figured just give a suggest. someone will hit 200k miles sooner or later

Pretty much all the modern diesels are going to have the same potential problems. The most common are the emissions systems and fuel system. The scary thing about a fuel system failure is that it can contaminate the whole fuel system if the high pressure pump fails, which can be thousands to replace all the components. Typically warranty will cover it, but on some occasions if bad fuel is determined to be the cause, it is not covered.

Pretty much all the modern diesels are going to have the same potential problems. The most common are the emissions systems and fuel system. The scary thing about a fuel system failure is that it can contaminate the whole fuel system if the high pressure pump fails, which can be thousands to replace all the components. Typically warranty will cover it, but on some occasions if bad fuel is determined to be the cause, it is not covered.
This is the actual reason you need to use a high quality Fuel Additive ! Fuel is the key to any make diesel and it needs to be conditioned. Adding this will lubricate the pump and keep the fuel system clean. The high mileage diesels get there by using good fuel and good fuel system maintenance.

I would say emissions, fuel pump/injectors, turbo, and sensors would be the biggest concerns. The downside, is none of it is cheap or easy to fix when out of warranty, any one component could be thousands to repair, a turbo I would bet over $5k to replace. If I had a diesel I would probably opt for the longest warranty I could get and probably consider replacing it once out of warranty. I know people say just to delete all the emissions but the only thing I would warn is that unless you know a good private mechanic or have a very good relationship with the dealer, some might not work on a deleted diesel. I know personally of a few situations that a repair on equipment was denied because all the emissions were removed. In one case it was added back on before the repair/diagnosis would even be allowed.

I would say emissions, fuel pump/injectors, turbo, and sensors would be the biggest concerns. The downside, is none of it is cheap or easy to fix when out of warranty, any one component could be thousands to repair, a turbo I would bet over $5k to replace. If I had a diesel I would probably opt for the longest warranty I could get and probably consider replacing it once out of warranty. I know people say just to delete all the emissions but the only thing I would warn is that unless you know a good private mechanic or have a very good relationship with the dealer, some might not work on a deleted diesel. I know personally of a few situations that a repair on equipment was denied because all the emissions were removed. In one case it was added back on before the repair/diagnosis would even be allowed.

One of the reasons I'm considering a Ford even though I've had a few bad experiences with them in the past is because I have a very good relationship with my local Ford dealer. I don't plan to delete, I was a Dodge mechanic for years but I'm out of it now and only work on my own truck when necessary. My hope is that I can trust my Ford dealer to do a good job on repairs if I buy a Ford so I don't have to roll around in the driveway every time something goes wrong. My Dodge has been good but I love the looks of the F250 Sport/Tremor combo. I owned an F350 OBS that I really liked as well even though it was constantly broken. The new F250/Tremor reminds me a lot of it. I just don't want the new one to be a money pit or in the shop constantly. I put 30k+ on a year so it's not like I'm hot shotting with it but it's definitely more than average. When you're putting 100k on every three years it always feels like "didn't I just fix that?" The Cummins is friggin bulletproof so I've had no real issues. It's all the little stuff on the truck that has been an issue. Nothing that leaves me stranded ever just a steady stream of minor annoyances. Wondering if I can hope for as good or better ownership experience of a current model Ford. I know they have made quite a few improvements over the years...

I had 150+k on my 2015 that I traded for the Tremor. Only issues I had were a charge hose that failed early on, replaced under warranty, and the DEF pump? (I believe .. something DEF related for sure). Otherwise I just kept up with the regular service and maintenance intervals and it ran like a top.

It finally came down to the decision to either a) keep the truck and run it into the ground, or b) trade it while there was a decent trade value. I opted for B and piked the Tremor up.

I had 150+k on my 2015 that I traded for the Tremor. Only issues I had were a charge hose that failed early on, replaced under warranty, and the DEF pump? (I believe .. something DEF related for sure). Otherwise I just kept up with the regular service and maintenance intervals and it ran like a top.

It finally came down to the decision to either a) keep the truck and run it into the ground, or b) trade it while there was a decent trade value. I opted for B and piked the Tremor up.

Pretty much where I'm at as well. Although my trade value isn't great I can sell it outright for at least some reasonable amount because diesel trucks are highly desirable in my area. If I go much over the mileage I'm at though the value will plummet so I'm considering going with the Tremor. The new "Ram" is not the most stylish IMO and if I'm spending 60-80k on a truck it had better look badass.

This is the actual reason you need to use a high quality Fuel Additive ! Fuel is the key to any make diesel and it needs to be conditioned. Adding this will lubricate the pump and keep the fuel system clean. The high mileage diesels get there by using good fuel and good fuel system maintenance.

I couldnt agree more , back when I had 6.0 powerstroke every fill up I put stanadyne in it just part of the ritual. when and if I get back into a 6.7 its going to be the same!

Hey everyone, new here obviously, looking for some info not exclusive to Tremors but just overall reliability on '17+ Super Duty. I'm talking about the ones that have put 200k+ on them here. I put a lot of miles on and I'd really like to know from anyone else who has done this with late model 6.7 powerstroke/Super Duty trucks what kind of issues you've seen and at what mileage. I've been driving my '09 Ram 2500/6.7 for a while and want to see how a super duty would compare in upkeep. Not talking about oil changes fuel filters or scheduled maintenance here. I'm looking more for things like fan clutch, water pump, hvac actuators, fuel pumps, major mechanical engjne/trans/driveline or suspension issues. I'm looking at potentially a 6.7 PSD truck because after owning a diesel so long I could never go back to gas. I'm addicted to the power and efficiency of diesel. If you're a gas truck owner feel free to comment as well. Help is much appreciated here. I've been happy with my Dodge for a long time and had a few really bad experiences with older Fords but the new trucks have me considering giving them another shot, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into first to compare with my firsthand dodge ownership experience. Please don't make this a dodge vs ford debate that's not what I'm looking for. Just tell me what issues you've had if any and at what mileage. Also tell me how many miles you personally put on the truck please. I don't need someone who's bought it with 225k but only put on 1500 miles telling me they've never had any issues because that info is obviously not very helpful.
Not a 17. But I have 2015 210,000. All stock. Haven't done anything to it other then breaks and wheel bearings up front oh and shocks. Like I said all stock everything is still original. I tow often with a gooseneck usually got 20k+. Says I've towed 25,000 miles. I have a lead foot and drive it hard all the time. I have all fluids changed when the book says. And use motorcraft filters and oil. Just waiting for something to start acting up. Happy with my ford. Hopefully this helps ease the mind a bit.

Not a 17. But I have 2015 210,000. All stock. Haven't done anything to it other then breaks and wheel bearings up front oh and shocks. Like I said all stock everything is still original. I tow often with a gooseneck usually got 20k+. Says I've towed 25,000 miles. I have a lead foot and drive it hard all the time. I have all fluids changed when the book says. And use motorcraft filters and oil. Just waiting for something to start acting up. Happy with my ford. Hopefully this helps ease the mind a bit.
I bought it new as well

Not a 6.7l but I have 400,000 on my '97 7.3l Powerstroke - still stronger than the day I drove it off the lot! Only problems have been glow plugs every 130,000 miles, mechanical fuel pumps at about the same mileage, a couple of alternators, a couple of vacuum pumps, batteries every 3 years and two manual ZF5 transmissions - one due to the poorly designed original dual mass flywheel failing and cracking the transmission, the 2nd threw a gear through the front casing. Truck pulls a lot of trailers frequently 16,000 lbs+ high in the Colorado Mountains - only way out of my town is over one of 4 passes. Hope to put more miles than that on my new F350 Tremor that just arrived at the dealer today. The '97 is pre emissions requirements and straight 4" piped. A little nervous about all the sensors, emissions, DEF and computers on my new truck but I will learn to deal with and fix them. All my CAT's are Tier 4 interim and do not require DEF so that will be new for me. Looking forward to twice the horsepower and 3x the torque on my new 6.7l Powerstroke. I'm keeping the '97 7.3l Powerstroke even though I get offered more than I paid for it custom built every year...

My current daily driver is a 2012 6.7 Powerstroke King Ranch with 280K on it.
It’s been a flawless truck. Only issue was a blown turbo hose once. It now has developed a very small oil leak the dealer says is rear main, I think it’s the pan.
Not big enough to worry about or fix.
My son is about to drive it to college when my new 2022 Tremor arrived.

Cannot be stated too many times - maintenance is absolutely key and you have more of it to deal with when you have the diesel but it gives back when you need to move and tow - a real serious piece. I smile every time it responds to my request to get up and go.

That's pretty much the 2 items we replaced on our oldest 6.7 a '13 F350 (bought new) with just shy of 200K miles. Replaced the cold air charge hose, the DEF pump and the trans last year but that was due to regularly pulling 12-15K trailers and shitty drivers..

It finally came down to the decision to either a) keep the truck and run it into the ground, or b) trade it while there was a decent trade value. I opted for B and piked the Tremor up

That '13 has been semi-retired as a spare crew truck which came in handy when our '19 RAM 3500 6.7 was side swiped on I-65.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back