Cold air intake problems

J20ibarra

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 lariat black appearance package tremor
Hey guys, so I just installed a S&B open cold air intake and for some reason it’s been making the truck act up weird and as I was driving to the gym this morning the check engine light came on and on the Ford pass it showed what’s on the image. Not to sure if I did something wrong or if the trucks needs to be tuned or because the cold air intake was taken off a 2020 F-250 platinum. Don’t think there was that big of a difference from 2020 to 2021.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• EA368287-6B67-46CF-B1E4-C42586D9597B.jpeg
    EA368287-6B67-46CF-B1E4-C42586D9597B.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 284
Yes the negative from the driver side and both positive and negative from the passenger side

Did you unplug it for at least a couple hours? It may take that long for the MAF thingy to reset. Also, is your CAI oiled? The oiled ones have a tendency to screw with MAF sensors. That's why I went full dry with mine.

Hate to say it, there is no need to put a cold air kit on these new trucks. You are just asking for problems, especially with the oiled ones. The OEM are not like the ones in the past, they flow more than enough air to engine.

Hate to say it, there is no need to put a cold air kit on these new trucks. You are just asking for problems, especially with the oiled ones. The OEM are not like the ones in the past, they flow more than enough air to engine.

I'm starting to agree. When I was researching CAIs last year I pretty much came to the same conclusion.

To the OP... Diesel?

If so, the air management system will cross check the intake airflow against what it reads from the EGR/VTG/EAT systems. If it detects a mismatch, there is a risk of an in-range sensor or actuator failure and it will trip a fault.

May need to reset a system learn, or allow it to learn the new dynamics.

I agree with above... these systems flow very well. Ford's not getting 430hp out of the 7.3L or 475hp out of the 6.7L without doing some CFD and intake tuning work. This isn't 1988 anymore.

prob need a tuner? You can't just change the air/fuel ratio and expect no problems.
The truck will automatically maintain the air/fuel ratio based on the air flowing past the MAF sensor in the intake. This applies for all electronically fuel injected vehicles going back to the 90's and earlier.

However, that does assume the MAF sensor is able to read correctly. I've heard of issues with aftermarket intakes resulting in turbulent air going past the MAF sensor and, since it needs laminar flow to measure accurately, it provides an incorrect reading resulting in the wrong amount of fuel being injected.

Also see the comments above with oiled filters causing problems as the oil can get on the MAF sensor and mess it up.

Big +1 to this! Also note that the factory intake is a cold air intake as it pulls from outside the engine bay.

Some good reading on why cold air intakes aren't necessary on fuel injected vehicles: https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/more-power-with-a-cold-air-intake/

Pretty sure I seen a video on online of someone with a 7.3L on the dyno with a completely open airbox and it made no difference. Sadly like other people have said, you're only asking for problems. Unless your adding turbos or a super charger, I would stick with the stock air intake.

You can't just change the air/fuel ratio and expect no problems.

Yeah thats not how it works... At all.

If you're going to participate, at least know what you're saying.

Yeah thats not how it works... At all.

If you're going to participate, at least know what you're saying.
No need to shut anyone down because of a lack of understanding or a misunderstanding. I like to think we’re all here to learn and share. ?

I replied to jhblaze1 above already, but would love to have you expand further if I missed anything!

No I don’t
Ok. I put the AFE CAI on my truck without a single issue and yes, it's an oiled filter. No CEL, no issues with how the truck runs, but certainly notable improvements. After the AFE headers, mid-pipe and exhaust were installed, I was about 600 miles in and the CEL illuminated. I scanned my truck and pulled a P0420 code, which relates to an issue on Bank 1 Catalytic Converter (passenger side). I cleared the code and have since put another 800 miles on the truck and the CEL has not illuminated again; I doubt seriously that it will. The truck seems to run better and better every day.

Bottom line is, installing a CAI isn't a big deal. Have the code cleared and rock on. For those saying it causes nothing but issues, blah, blah, blah; don't be so scared. I've done 99% of the upgrades to my truck myself and success boils down to educating yourself properly. Living scared is living scared. Dive in and learn something new....

Last thing, a CAI isn't a component or system that buys anyone anything all by itself. It's part of a bigger system so if you're looking for big gains with plans of only doing a CAI, don't bother. Will the engine sound a little better and will you notice small differences? I did on my truck. My point is, unless you have plans to do more induction upgrades beyond the CAI, keep your stock CAI. If you have plans to do intake, heads and exhaust system upgrades, a CAI is a great place to start but don't stop there. But in your case, is having a CAI by itself a big deal? Will it cause nothing but problems? No. Just clear the code and go from there.

Stop being so scared....

MB

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back