AZsurveyor

Tremor Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 KR TREMOR RAPID RED 6.7L
Current Ride #2
2007 F350 KR CC 4x4 LB
Guys, if you listen to this video, what can potentially be happening here?

Sound on - a poping or clunking noise coming from the front end only while turning and in 4WD (no lockers on front or rear).

I have warn manual hubs and a front electric eaton locker (factory LSD gone).

Straight driving does not produce this sound.

Thanks!

I'd try this to trouble shoot:
No need to have the motor running. I would jackup/support the front axle. I would turn the steering as you have in the video. Get a helper to turn the front drive shaft by hand. See if you can replicate and locate the noise.

I'd suspect you have already crawled underneath to inspection all the suspension parts and mounts.

I'd try this to trouble shoot:
No need to have the motor running. I would jackup/support the front axle. I would turn the steering as you have in the video. Get a helper to turn the front drive shaft by hand. See if you can replicate and locate the noise.

I'd suspect you have already crawled underneath to inspection all the suspension parts and mounts.
Yes, nothing is physically damaged or out of place as far as steering linkage is concerned.

That is my next step -- turn the wheels/drive shaft by hand as stated.

My concern is a broken axle spindle gear?

Either way you got to get more info. I'd think it would make noise straight or in a turn. Only in a turn...hard to say but if there's some additional radial stress in the driveline parts. I don't think it's the 4wd hub.

It's hard to tell : Is the suspension moving much in that video??

Maybe pop off the front diff cover when you lift the front end?? I know that just makes it a messy exploration.

I'm the kind of person who is into taking the whole thing apart. Just to see. It's fun so try it.

Either way you got to get more info. I'd think it would make noise straight or in a turn. Only in a turn...hard to say but if there's some additional radial stress in the driveline parts. I don't think it's the 4wd hub.

It's hard to tell : Is the suspension moving much in that video??
In the video, the surface was totally flat.

There was no articulation in the suspension.

I was doing a big circle for the purpose of the video but we had it heard it earlier in the day going in and out of washes while out measuring bare land in the sonoran desert.

I'm gonna put my 2 cents on the U-Joint at the wheel. It's only happening in 4wd, when turning. Watching/listening to the video, when it gets to the part where you can see the center cap on that wheel, the sound coincides with the speed of the cap, which is the same speed that the u-joint is doing. The joint is under "stress" at that point being in 4wd, and out of it's normal axis when driving in a straight line.

Last edited:
Was the front ELD locked in ?? Noise present locked in or unlocked, both ??
Original post has these answers.

Both lockers were off for this video.

I did not turn ON lockers for diagnosing purposes.

Axel u joint...look at the ears on the axel and see it you see any wear marks. With a front locker u probably need stronger u joints for the axels.

Finally got around to this -- seized hubs.

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

Guys, make sure you service your hubs, depending on your use, accordingly.

For me, it will be every 5K or after every extreme off-road situation.

As ironic as this may sound, we had an unusually wet winter season in the desert and saw countless water crossings, mudd puddles, a few knee high standing water scenarios, and up in the high mountains, driving in snow and slushy conditions at times.

I had Warn Hubs put on last May and had to have new ones put on again this May due to this negligance.

Luckily for me, the driver hub was the worst, totally stuck but in the lock position so I had still had front wheel drive when needed.

Drained all front diff fluid and dodged a bullet, no water in the fluid despite the breather hose being yanked off the fitting.

Inspected front locker, working as should.

She's back to new, all greased, lubed, and boy does my steering feel better than new.

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

View attachment 155690

View attachment 155691

As ironic as this may sound, we had an unusually wet winter season in the desert and saw countless water crossings, mudd puddles, a few knee high standing water scenarios, and up in the high mountains, driving in snow and slushy conditions at times.

I had Warn Hubs put on last May and had to have new ones put on again this May due to this negligance.

Luckily for me, the driver hub was the worst, totally stuck but in the lock position so I had still had front wheel drive when needed.

Drained all front diff fluid and dodged a bullet, no water in the fluid despite the breather hose being yanked off the fitting.

She's back to new, all greased, lubed, and boy does my steering feel better than new.

View attachment 155692

View attachment 155695
Wow! That's alot of mud and corrosion. So basically the gaskets they include with the hubs are pointless if water comes in around the selector knob lol.

Glad you got it fixed.

Wow! That's alot of mud and corrosion. So basically the gaskets they include with the hubs are pointless if water comes in around the selector knob lol.

Glad you got it fixed.
They will keep minimal water out from rain, carwash, etc, but not if they're submerged.

The driver side had mudd slush inside once it was removed from the axle end.

They will keep minimal water out from rain, carwash, etc, but not if they're submerged.

The driver side had mudd slush inside once it was removed from the axle end.
I finally got my Eaton front locker. Haven’t had it installed yet. Where did you end up putting the switch for it? My OCD has me real torn on this

View attachment 155690

View attachment 155691

View attachment 155692

View attachment 155695
What was your reason for going to the warns over the factory hubs last year?

Back