Cleaning Your Beast

TimmyTheKid17

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Awaiting: ‘21 F250 Lariat Tremor 7.3L
Happy Saturday folks!

So I want to be able to keep my beast clean but understand the carwash isn’t a good idea for the livelihood of the paint.

I have a pressure washer but its gas and from what I understand the PSI is a bit risky for car paint.

I can certainly pickup a cheaper, lower PSI electric pressure washer but was wondering what y’all do to clean your beasts. Any of you DIY’ers? If so, what equipment/tools are you using to clean yours?

Thanks for this thread! I was just debating what kind of pressure washer to get? should I get one? So, Im looking forward to seeing what you all recommend in here, always great counsel and advice! Much appreciated!

Happy Saturday folks!

So I want to be able to keep my beast clean but understand the carwash isn’t a good idea for the livelihood of the paint.

I have a pressure washer but its gas and from what I understand the PSI is a bit risky for car paint.

I can certainly pickup a cheaper, lower PSI electric pressure washer but was wondering what y’all do to clean your beasts. Any of you DIY’ers? If so, what equipment/tools are you using to clean yours?
I think that it is ok to use a pressure washer, just only get as close to the paint as you can get to your own hand. Anyways I think that is the pressure washer rule, but see what others say before pressure washing it.

I think that it is ok to use a pressure washer, just only get as close to the paint as you can get to your own hand. Anyways I think that is the pressure washer rule, but see what others say before pressure washing it.
I generally agree with the hand test. If it hurts your hand, definitely don’t do it to your paint. But don’t be an idiot like me and put your hand directly in front of the nozzle to test it. I took a chunk of skin off my hand. ?

There’s not a single professional detailer who DOESN’T use a PW.

When shopping for one pay much more attention to GPM than PSI. You’ll notice that’s where the price varies. Kranzle is a German brand of electric PW’s with respectable numbers, but you won’t find them at the big box stores and not for $200 either.

I have a 15 y/o gas Honda PW with decent specs, but it’s on its way out. When it dies I’m buying a Kranzle.

Your pressure washer will work fine. Just don’t be point blank with it start farther back.
Use the washer to get the paint wet and bulk of the loose stuff off. For really heavy mud soak spray repeat (on painted areas) on under garage blast it till it comes loose m. Use a foam cannon (if you can) let the soap breakdown the dirt for a bit then hand agitate. And then rinse. In some cases I have done a second soap wash in spots that are more stubborn.
if you’re using a wash/wax call it good.
If your wanting to use dedicated coatings look on YT you’ll find some good information.
i personally follow the wash method I mentioned and then use turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray as it’s easy and works great.

Best extravagant our has of 2020 was a Kranzle electric pressure washer with fully outfitted OG SPEC Wand, from the site obsessedgarage. It’s one of my favorite tools, and I have a gasser but the gasser is for heavy work, not cars

For my cars I use a Ryobi 1600 psi washer. Still has enough pressure to remove everything but safe for the paint. I use a chemical guys foam cannon and chemical guys honeydew snow foam. Works perfectly. I also recommend the undercarriage attachment. Make cleaning under the truck very easy. I got mine on amazon for $60...

What can I use to filter hard water? I tried an RV water filter but that did nothing and the water spots were terrible.

Agreed with all on pressure washer and 40 degree nozzle. I use all Chemical Guys products. It’s pro stuff that is available to us shlubs. I stumbled across it when I was looking for a pro kit. Foam cannon, hand held blower, quick wipe down, dressing, done.

What can I use to filter hard water? I tried an RV water filter but that did nothing and the water spots were terrible.
There's the systems from CR Spotless. A little spendy, and if you're water is too hard they're not really feasible from a cost perspective (resin media would require replacement too often).

That's the only product I'm aware of that doesn't either cost thousands of dollars, or on the other end looks like it came from an infomercial.

Pressure washing is to get rid of whatever loose dirt there is-
Then there is the washing- I think you need to do a manual wash to get the best results-

-Order wash mitts- 5 pack from amazon or wherever
-2 clean buckets, one for soap and one for rinsing dirty mitts
-a strainer shelf for bottom of rinse bucket to let the grit and dirt settle away from mitts
-you want to wash in a linear motion horizontally around truck- checking every 1-2' to make sure you are not dragging dirt - start from top and go down to lower dirt and do bottom last paying more attention to dirt on mitts- rotate mitt to clean side when you seen dirt on mitt- do not make circular motions or you will add a lot of micro scratches that will refract light from all directions and show swirl marks- straight line motions drastically minimizes light refraction
-rinse off frequently
-roof and hood use same technique but go headlights to tailgate direction-

Drying-

Leaf blowers work great for getting water out of crevices like under mirrors , headlights, grill, handles etc-
Do Not Use a leaf blower that has been sitting around collecting dust or it will blast tiny scratches all over -

Griot's garage makes great plush towels to dry - use same direction for drying as washing-

I use chemical guys stuff as well. I have the foam cannon to apply soap and I use the two bucket method with hand mitts for the cleaning. Use microfiber towels to dry. I have a 1900 psi Ryobi pressure washer but I haven’t needed it for the vehicles yet.

Growing up on gravel roads in the Midwest taught me a few things...

1. I have a high tolerance for a dirty truck relative to my wife

2. A truck is only "clean" for a few hours when you live on a gravel road

3. Power washers are good for removing mud, but doesn't clean a thing. By the time you have enough pressure to wash off the dirt and grime,, you're stripping paint. You have to physically wash it with a wash mitt or towel.

4. I thought everyone knew about the two bucket method when I was 8 helping dad wash the cars.

Back