Classifieds Section - Warning/Rules/Disclaimer

Same here, I know you and @Vecman and one other were ahead of me, but I got a PM almost immediately saying the y were still available. The post stated he was in Austin and local pickup was acceptable. But when I told him I could drive to Austin this morning to get them, the local pickup was suddenly off the table. Who in their right mind wouldn't do local pickup for the same price as shipped??? It was at that point I pulled the plug. Sorry for anyone that got swindled and I hope this doesn't drive the legit people away. I have purchased a couple of other items from guys on the forum and everything was as expected.

One thing I am going to do though is become a paying member of this forum so the admins can have some resources to guard against this type of bullshit.
I thought about reaching out to some of you who were interested that posted after me, just to see what he was saying to you, but I didn’t. 20/20 hindsight right?

Ok, I do have one additional thing to add here.

We all need to be more diligent in our lives and practice better Cyber Hygiene. Here are a few things to think about.

1. Leverage a password manager​

A password manager helps you generate strong passwords and store them all in one encrypted place. You only need to remember one password to access your password manager.

Are they secure and useful? The answer is complicated because password managers aren’t foolproof. Password managers serve as an amazing organizational tool, enabling you to practice better password hygiene. However, if someone gains access to your password manager account, they have access to all your passwords.

2. Avoid reusing passwords​

Using the same passwords for several accounts may be convenient, but you’re making it easier for cybercriminals to gain access to multiple accounts, should they be able to break into one account.

Even if you have a strong password, it is important to use a different one for every account you use.

3. Use two-factor authentication​

Two-factor authentication requires an additional step before the user logs into the account. Typically, the user receives a one-time password via phone or email to ensure that only the right people can access the account.

4. Protect your password list​

If you use a password manager this one is irrelevant. People tend to keep their list of passwords in one place. It is important to keep your password list secure so that it can’t be easily found by others, and to hide any physical record that contains your credentials.

I am an IT guy, and I could make your blood run cold with some of the situations I've had to help with. Stay safe out there folks.

Ok, I'll take a breath now and get off of my soap box. Rant over.....

I thought about reaching out to some of you who were interested that posted after me, just to see what he was saying to you, but I didn’t. 20/20 hindsight right?
Obviously not the first time this scammer has done this. PM's only, Zelle or Venmo. What is crazy, is I had 100% ruled out the Retrax because of the price. However, earlier in the day a customer came in and we got to talking about our trucks, he has an F450 dually with the Retrax and raved about it. After talking to him and seeing the For Sale post, I was again interested. If I hadn't already bought the BuiltRight bedside storage, I'd probably be out $600.

Ok, I do have one additional thing to add here.

We all need to be more diligent in our lives and practice better Cyber Hygiene. Here are a few things to think about.

1. Leverage a password manager​

A password manager helps you generate strong passwords and store them all in one encrypted place. You only need to remember one password to access your password manager.

Are they secure and useful? The answer is complicated because password managers aren’t foolproof. Password managers serve as an amazing organizational tool, enabling you to practice better password hygiene. However, if someone gains access to your password manager account, they have access to all your passwords.

2. Avoid reusing passwords​

Using the same passwords for several accounts may be convenient, but you’re making it easier for cybercriminals to gain access to multiple accounts, should they be able to break into one account.

Even if you have a strong password, it is important to use a different one for every account you use.

3. Use two-factor authentication​

Two-factor authentication requires an additional step before the user logs into the account. Typically, the user receives a one-time password via phone or email to ensure that only the right people can access the account.

4. Protect your password list​

If you use a password manager this one is irrelevant. People tend to keep their list of passwords in one place. It is important to keep your password list secure so that it can’t be easily found by others, and to hide any physical record that contains your credentials.

I am an IT guy, and I could make your blood run cold with some of the situations I've had to help with. Stay safe out there folks.

Ok, I'll take a breath now and get off of my soap box. Rant over.....
@Frazior, I’m a Network Engineer and you’re 100% right. And I do all of those things and still got taken. I should’ve listened to the red flags. Next time, if there is one, I’ll talk to them directly before sending any money anywhere. Thanks for your points!

Same here. I thought about it but didn’t. . .
I'm Guilty too. I do need to thank @Pavin2 for being a stand-up guy and reaching out though.

@Frazior, I’m a Network Engineer and you’re 100% right. And I do all of those things and still got taken. I should’ve listened to the red flags. Next time, if there is one, I’ll talk to them directly before sending any money anywhere. Thanks for your points!
I'm a network engineer too. But 1. we can all be a dumbass at times 2. you are from Oklahoma..... :p

dunno, I did get a PM from @rch313 no telling how may PMs he has had to wade through
True. Obviously we know it’s now a scam, so it ultimately doesn’t matter, but I’m glad he at least PM’d one person.

Besides the recommendation that a written a paper with the current date on it with the item for sale suggestion, which is a good one, maybe new sellers can only do one item for sale, until the transaction has been verified legit between both parties, and then we could up the limit of concurrent item sales for that person. Just thinking a bit. Ultimately I think most who got scammed by this guy ignored the typical red flags that usually keep us from doing these kinds of things. Just need to trust my gut 100% of the time, and not 98.687% of the time…

I will update the first post with the suggestions that have been mentioned. I'm also researching some add-ons that will give an option for a buyer/seller rating & feedback. Again, in this situation it wouldn't have mattered because the member could have had positive feedback and once the account was compromised the actual member history goes out the window.

I will update the first post with the suggestions that have been mentioned. I'm also researching some add-ons that will give an option for a buyer/seller rating & feedback. Again, in this situation it wouldn't have mattered because the member could have had positive feedback and once the account was compromised the actual member history goes out the window.
The watch forum I referenced earlier also has a Sub Forum where you can check references and give feedback on both buyers and sellers. It's a nice feature, but again nothing is perfect.

I am a member of several other forums, one of them is a watch forum. What they did to try and prevent scams are as follows:
1. To list an item for sale they have to be a verified seller, they call it a "Pledge Member", in the case here it would be a "Founding Member".
2. New "Members" have to wait 24 hours before they can list an item for sale.
3. "Members" can only list 5 items for sale and they can only "bump" them to the top every 24 hours.
There are many other rules, but these are the ones that allows the forum to do its best to prevent scammers. As you will note, the scammer in this case hacked a member that fit the above criteria. It's hard to prevent, but they have a saying, "buy the seller, not the watch".
These are good suggestions but wouldn't be effective in the case of a hacked account... They actually may create a false sense of security.

I found it odd that the hacker chose the items they did. Steering wheel, running boards. Maybe the cover makes sense. Seems like they were "in the know" about typical Tremor or SD items that people sell...

These are good suggestions but wouldn't be effective in the case of a hacked account... They actually may create a false sense of security.

I found it odd that the hacker chose the items they did. Steering wheel, running boards. Maybe the cover makes sense. Seems like they were "in the know" about typical Tremor or SD items that people sell...
I thought of the same, but then realized that the hacker might have went through the previous for sale items to come up with his list, items that sold many months ago. I wonder if anyone else ever sold a steering wheel here before.

I wonder if anyone else ever sold a steering wheel here before.
Yes, and I bought one of them! I'll have to see if I have any pictures of it from the listing.. maybe it's the same one??

Back