TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Military
U.S. Army
Current Ride
2020 6.7 Lariat Sport Tremor
Current Ride #2
2013 Rubicon Unlimited
Please check your hubs to see if your truck was delivered from the factory with the hubs in the LOCK position. The AUTO position is the proper one for daily driving.

The LOCK position is there so you can manually lock your hubs if the Auto 4wd will not engage.

Thanks for the info.

Hahaha...checked mine today, and they were in the locked position. Thanks!

Reviving old thread. Just changed lug nuts from chrome to black and when putting the collars back on, I noticed they were in the lock position. Pisses me off since I have driven 2000 miles like this.

Reviving old thread. Just changed lug nuts from chrome to black and when putting the collars back on, I noticed they were in the lock position. Pisses me off since I have driven 2000 miles like this.
Yea but locked or unlocked is irrelevant if you are in 2 wheel drive mode.

Yea but locked or unlocked is irrelevant if you are in 2 wheel drive mode.
When locked, Is it not engaged to the axle spinning the axle and drive shaft to the transfer case, thus worse MPG?

When locked, Is it not engaged to the axle spinning the axle and drive shaft to the transfer case, thus worse MPG?
F8547D50-B51A-4749-BA9A-D4C89E6B6390.jpeg

Also turn the dial once a month for a few times so it doesn't seize up.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll be sure to check mine when I pick it up in a couple weeks, hopefully.

I’m not sure in practical terms how much of a hit it is on mpg. Maybe there is one, i was thinking more about the damage done having them locked, i didnt think there would be any.

I’m not sure in practical terms how much of a hit it is on mpg. Maybe there is one, i was thinking more about the damage done having them locked, i didnt think there would be any.
I have 2100 miles to compare to not having it locked.

EDIT: Corrected spelling.

Last edited:
Also turn the dial once a month for a few times so it doesn't seize up.
I turn mine from auto to lock and back to auto to prevent them from seizing. I’ve seen too many people not turn them often and they will seize, if that happens, you’ll notice it when you need them.

I turn mine from auto to lock and back to auto to prevent them from seizing. I’ve seen too many people not turn them often and they will seize, if that happens, you’ll notice it when you need them.
Yes that's what I'm saying. I wasn't suggesting just lock them, leave it, then a month later turn it back to auto. lol

I was told to lock them once every few months for a day or so as it gets everything moving and lubed plus it will burn off any moisture

Please check your hubs to see if your truck was delivered from the factory with the hubs in the LOCK position. The AUTO position is the proper one for daily driving.

The LOCK position is there so you can manually lock your hubs if the Auto 4wd will not engage.
This why i pay the big bucks to be a member! Thanks 😊

Back