CB's

DIG

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor
Does anyone run a CB? I took my Uniden Bearcat out of my F-150. I think I'm going to set it up in the Tremor the same way. I got a new antenna mount from Right Channel Radios. It mounts on the driver side under the hood. I think a little more towards the front than the pic on my F-150. The install is pretty easy. On my F-150 I ran the cables through the wire pass through in the fire wall on the drivers side. I ran the wires behind the pedals and under the center console trim. I drilled a hole in the center console (opposite from power source, there is a an elevated space) compartment to allow the coax to come though. The CB I have has a small power unit that can be mounted almost anywhere.I just leave it in the bottom of the compartment. All the buttons are on the hand set. The handset cord is long enough to run it up out of the center compartment (there are little grooves to run a wire through) and attach it to the dash in the space next to the power outlets. With my particular CB the cord to the mic runs along the passenger side of the center console to where it is visible, but out of the way. To mount the handset to the dash I just use the command strips to attach the handset holder to the dash. I use the power (cigarette lighter) in the center compartment to power the unit. It is small and out of the way in the center compartment. I believe if you leave it plugged in to the power source it will shut off after a certain amount of time so no worries there. If I throw it in this weekend I'll try to remember to take some pics and post.
IMG_0919.jpg

Which CB spring are you using in the picture? And do you think it'll be too stiff to run on a hood mount? I got a Firestik l want to mount on the truck, but I can't seem to find a loose enough spring locally that I'd feel comfortable using.

Nobody i know uses cbs anymore. Everyone wants to rely on cell phones and when there's no service they seem content to just say "oh well". I usually carry a couple handheld radios like the Motorolla Talkabouts so we have something.

Which CB spring are you using in the picture? And do you think it'll be too stiff to run on a hood mount? I got a Firestik l want to mount on the truck, but I can't seem to find a loose enough spring locally that I'd feel comfortable using.
I bought everything through Right Channel Radios. I'm pretty sure that is one of their heavy duty springs I am using. Their website says they are good for up to 4' antennas. The Firestik I am using is only 3' so I could probably get away with their medium spring that says it's good to 3' antennas. The mount I had on my F-150 was aluminum and did break after about 3 years when the antenna hit a low clearance marker. The new mount for the Tremor is stainless steel. You may have a point with a softer spring. Honestly I thought the antenna had the right amount of flex, didn't blow too much in the wind etc. and the aluminum mount was going to break sooner or later. I try not to bash the antenna into too many things tho. I think the stainless steel mount will be much better. I might pick up the medium spring they offer and see how it does.

Nobody i know uses cbs anymore. Everyone wants to rely on cell phones and when there's no service they seem content to just say "oh well". I usually carry a couple handheld radios like the Motorolla Talkabouts so we have something.
Yeah, I like to use them on the road for info etc. from truckers.

I still have two in the attic, I should pull them out and set them up.

I bought everything through Right Channel Radios. I'm pretty sure that is one of their heavy duty springs I am using. Their website says they are good for up to 4' antennas. The Firestik I am using is only 3' so I could probably get away with their medium spring that says it's good to 3' antennas. The mount I had on my F-150 was aluminum and did break after about 3 years when the antenna hit a low clearance marker. The new mount for the Tremor is stainless steel. You may have a point with a softer spring. Honestly I thought the antenna had the right amount of flex, didn't blow too much in the wind etc. and the aluminum mount was going to break sooner or later. I try not to bash the antenna into too many things tho. I think the stainless steel mount will be much better. I might pick up the medium spring they offer and see how it does.

Thanks for the tip. My firestik is only a two footer, and the mount is a super beefy stainless steel one, so I'm not concerned about that at all. My main concern is that weak aluminum hood. I will be banging on stuff all the time. That's just how I drive. I don't like the idea of the hood getting bent at the mounting point is all.

No spring needed with a firefly

Sadly, CB’s are being replaced by GMRS

I am using a president's CB and a 3 Foot Firestik antenna....I mounted mine to the toolbox in my bed and it all works really well. It is also holding up really well....I have posted pics in the other 2 or 3 CB threads previously............

I am using a president's CB and a 3 Foot Firestik antenna....I mounted mine to the toolbox in my bed and it all works really well. It is also holding up really well....I have posted pics in the other 2 or 3 CB threads previously............
I typed in CB’s into the search function and nothing came up. Do you have a link to the other threads?

I typed in CB’s into the search function and nothing came up. Do you have a link to the other threads?

Thats one of them

After spending a couple hours running the coax and getting everything all set up for my CB all was for nothing. The Ford F250,350,450,550 CB mount I purchased from Right Channel Radios is not going to work. There is not enough space (for me) between the hood and the fender for the mount and coax to go through without hitting/rubbing. There was a lot more of a gap between the hood and fender on my 17 F150 and the mount and location was fine. 21 350 Tremor seems like it has a lot tighter tolerances. Anyways, I do not recommend the hood mount from Right Channel Radios.

After spending a couple hours running the coax and getting everything all set up for my CB all was for nothing. The Ford F250,350,450,550 CB mount I purchased from Right Channel Radios is not going to work. There is not enough space (for me) between the hood and the fender for the mount and coax to go through without hitting/rubbing. There was a lot more of a gap between the hood and fender on my 17 F150 and the mount and location was fine. 21 350 Tremor seems like it has a lot tighter tolerances. Anyways, I do not recommend the hood mount from Right Channel Radios.
That sucks, but thank you for sharing your findings so not a total loss.

Anyone have Experience with GMRS? Iam interested in learning if "Repeaters" will work with short band radios, etc (Motorola MXT400) Thx??

On my last car I ran an external aerial mounted on the windscreen. The mount used a very strong self adhesive and I placed the mount on the top corner on the passenger side. It was very effective and never came off. The only downside to it was I could not find a way to discreetly hide the cable and keep it in place. Maybe if I persisted I might have overcome this problem. Because the aerial is mounted high you only need a short one. A longer one might be too much for the mount to handle.

Are you running the coax through the narrower gap caused by the mount, OR the gap on either side of where the mount sticks through? I just looked at the gap on my 2021 and it looks wide enough to allow the coax to pass thru.

I made the kid and all his friends get CBs in their trucks before I would allow unsupervised overnight 4x4 camping trips. I taught them how to tune them and how to use them properly.

We run a Cobra 29 LTD Classic with a 5 foot Firestick antenna on the other F-250. We put the antenna on the bed behind the passenger side of the cab. I'll probably duplicate this setup on the Tremor. This unit was very similar to one I had in the '80s so it has some nostalgia too.

I have no idea where to mount a full size unit like this in a Super Duty with the buckets and center counsole. Photo ideas would be appreciated.

As a side note, if you're in Southern California and within range of Long Beach there is a guy that likes to drink and pontificate on all things politics. He's usually on Sunday evenings but also other nights. He's on Channel 17. He'll both rant and answer questions. It's unique entertainment.

Haha! This topic is great! I was cleaning out my cabinets in the garage and found my Uniden Bearcat. I think I probably bought it in the late 90s for a Chevy S10 I had. Someone stole my K40 whip, so I’d need a new matched antenna.

But the funny part was, telling my wife that I’ll be adding it to the tremor! She was like, “Really? People use those still?”

“beaker breaker 1-9. Vermonster doing a Smokey bear report.”

or I can just run wayz I suppose.

Back