Carports

banthos

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 6.7 F-350 Tremor
Anyone using carports for their outside rides? Would love to see pics. Winters up here in MN can be harsh.

Been looking at this one, hoping it’s tall enough for a leveled F-350 on 37s. 2022 build so I can’t measure.

Had one of those metal ones that collapsed under wet snow load in 18. Only a little dent in the roof of the truck. Wife got on my case about replacing it so excavated out a space behind the house and started building the replacement last Fall. It is a 3 bay and Tremor will go in the middle spot when I’m done with it. Just waiting for the rain to stop for a couple days to finish the roof. 48X48 garage is next but going to wait till lumber prices fall. This Lumber was purchased in early 20 or I would have gone with steel.

Attachments

• BB5F39D6-DEC3-469E-BE9C-F71F0646B662.png
    BB5F39D6-DEC3-469E-BE9C-F71F0646B662.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 0D91DB64-9193-4B68-8165-A32B3D059A7A.jpeg
    0D91DB64-9193-4B68-8165-A32B3D059A7A.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 63
  • A326AEDF-F937-4719-A63E-CB8CFDBAE9B4.jpeg
    A326AEDF-F937-4719-A63E-CB8CFDBAE9B4.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 64
  • B46A5CC8-7254-4F89-A38F-8B0154E08999.jpeg
    B46A5CC8-7254-4F89-A38F-8B0154E08999.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 61
  • EDFF74AC-2E73-410A-8473-29C2121ABAB2.jpeg
    EDFF74AC-2E73-410A-8473-29C2121ABAB2.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 62
  • BB52BE7A-7B04-4FB0-8B76-DB4FCBDEFD71.jpeg
    BB52BE7A-7B04-4FB0-8B76-DB4FCBDEFD71.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 63A351E2-C1A0-4976-BD31-86A5A08B5EEE.jpeg
    63A351E2-C1A0-4976-BD31-86A5A08B5EEE.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 28C2F0B4-8961-43B1-AF55-3A18AE3C126C.jpeg
    28C2F0B4-8961-43B1-AF55-3A18AE3C126C.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 67
I had one at my old house. It was 4+ cars. It did well. I didn't have MN winters, but still got significant snow. It isn't a garage by any stretch, But protects sufficiently IMO.

Had one of those metal ones that collapsed under wet snow load in 18. Only a little dent in the roof of the truck. Wife got on my case about replacing it so excavated out a space behind the house and started building the replacement last Fall. It is a 3 bay and Tremor will go in the middle spot when I’m done with it. Just waiting for the rain to stop for a couple days to finish the roof. 48X48 garage is next but going to wait till lumber prices fall. This Lumber was purchased in early 20 or I would have gone with steel.
Very cool!

This works well for me, fit’s the Tremor and a Sprinter van.

View attachment 23602
That's really cool, and I bet it fits in nice with your property, but for most of us we could build a stick built detached garage with about the same footprint for not much more. That's A LOT of very expensive cedar right there. It's a $15K pergola for cars.

I'm not the HOA police, and I don't live in a fancy 'hood, but if someone threw up one of those Tractor Supply shelters linked in the OP in the front yard or driveway of a home on my street I'd be hiring some punk kids to make off with it in the middle of the night, or pray for a highly-localized tornado to take it out. If you live out in the country or in a suburban large lot sort of subdivision then sure, but in a packed urban subdivision... no way. I mean they exist in the city, but in front of homes where there the grass is a foot high and the police know the occupants by first name.

That's really cool, and I bet it fits in nice with your property, but for most of us we could build a stick built detached garage with about the same footprint for not much more. That's A LOT of very expensive cedar right there. It's a $15K pergola for cars.

I'm not the HOA police, and I don't live in a fancy 'hood, but if someone threw up one of those Tractor Supply shelters linked in the OP in the front yard or driveway of a home on my street I'd be hiring some punk kids to make off with it in the middle of the night, or pray for a highly-localized tornado to take it out. If you live out in the country or in a suburban large lot sort of subdivision then sure, but in a packed urban subdivision... no way. I mean they exist in the city, but in front of homes where there the grass is a foot high and the police know the occupants by first name.
Yea, if I was the one building I would have considered a garage, but this is 20 years old or more and was here when we bought the house. Maybe I should disassemble and sell the lumber to pay off the truck!

I fail to see why my neighbor would have a problem with me putting up a carport in my driveway? off the street obviously. What's the big deal?

I fail to see why my neighbor would have a problem with me putting up a carport in my driveway? off the street obviously. What's the big deal?
Well I mean there are carports that look fine, like they belong as a permanent part of the property, and then there's the things you linked to in your OP that are honestly mostly only found in trailer parks, at least in my area with respect to in town stuff. Usually covering a 35 year-old bass boat or a street stock dirt tracker that hasn't ran in 10 years.

Well I mean there are carports that look fine, like they belong as a permanent part of the property, and then there's the things you linked to in your OP that are honestly mostly only found in trailer parks, at least in my area with respect to in town stuff. Usually covering a 35 year-old bass boat or a street stock dirt tracker that hasn't ran in 10 years.
Well I think it'll look a lot better than you're describing with a 2022 Tremor underneath it! I'm not investing into a bigger or detached garage, one because I don't have the space for it. Two, we won't be at this house forever. Our next house will definitely have more land and a large detached garage for the truck and toys

Well I think it'll look a lot better than you're describing with a 2022 Tremor underneath it! I'm not investing into a bigger or detached garage, one because I don't have the space for it. Two, we won't be at this house forever. Our next house will definitely have more land and a large detached garage for the truck and toys
You should probably check with your local zoning office before pulling the trigger. Depending on your zoning classification and the related regulation, you might not be able to install it.

Nice! While I park my Tremor in our attached garage already, I'd like another workshop/garage at some point. We are in the county ETJ, so no permits required for anything! :D

I did not design it with the Tremor in mind but it fit, barely. I can back up about 6 more inches and after putting on the trim and gutters I'll be in total shade for about 3 months a year.

20210806_122622.jpg
20210806_122344.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back