Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited

Wish there was something like this for Android Auto. I have given up on connecting my phone to the USB port every time....

Ed

Supposedly the next gen of sync is going to have wireless carplay. 2021 F150 according to the rumors. I love carplay but I hate having my phone topped off all the time. I keep my phones for several years and keeping the battery topped off is really damaging to the battery capacity. Wireless carplay is #1 on my wish list

Wish there was something like this for Android Auto. I have given up on connecting my phone to the USB port every time....

Ed
Would this work?

That's cool. thanks for the tip. I've never used carplay and haven't in the new truck because connecting the usb cable all the time is annoying. I love the wireless charging pad and use it all the time. i'll have to try that air thing and see how she works

Can you use normal sync stereo and google maps at the same time?

Can you use normal sync stereo and google maps at the same time?
You can use google maps only when plugged in via usb. I can play podcasts and google music from my phone wirelessly though via Bluetooth. I am a bit confused why you would need carplay. What does it do that the sync wont? My biggest complaint about the radio is that i cant upload and store music directly on it. Seems that it needs a flash drive plugged into the usb to play music directly.

You can use google maps only when plugged in via usb. I can play podcasts and google music from my phone wirelessly though via Bluetooth. I am a bit confused why you would need carplay. What does it do that the sync wont? My biggest complaint about the radio is that i cant upload and store music directly on it. Seems that it needs a flash drive plugged into the usb to play music directly.
My big question is can I use my sync stereo and all it’s functions if I’m in CarPlay using google maps for nav? Or would I only have access to my music while in CarPlay?

My big question is can I use my sync stereo and all it’s functions if I’m in CarPlay using google maps for nav? Or would I only have access to my music while in CarPlay?
I use google maps navigation and listen to music off my phone at the same time. I use a Google Pixel phone and it seems to function seamlessly with andriod apps and SYNC3. When we had other brands of android phones we had more issues with various apps and vehicles. I would be vary surprised if Carplay only works via USB for audio purposes. Bluetooth audio was standard about a decade ago.

Would this work?
I don't think so based on their disclaimer: Car system must be based on Android and can install my apk! This dongle Only works with Android system screen! Original screen car does not supported!!

I am assuming that means it must be an Android head unit, not factory Ford.

Ed

It may be referring to the fact that the cars system has to be based on the android operating system. Ford SYNC3 is a blackberry based system which is derived from Linux. Android operating systems (phones other than Apple) are based on Linux as well which maybe why they are more capable.

The original Carplay2air.com dongle that was linked has 2017-2020 fords listed as being compatible. The previous versions of Ford SYNC had a different OS and Ford SYNC 4 is supposed to be wireless for Android Auto and Carplay.

I use google maps navigation and listen to music off my phone at the same time. I use a Google Pixel phone and it seems to function seamlessly with andriod apps and SYNC3. When we had other brands of android phones we had more issues with various apps and vehicles. I would be vary surprised if Carplay only works via USB for audio purposes. Bluetooth audio was standard about a decade ago.
My question is this: Can I use Google maps as my navigation and listen to XM/Sirius Radio with playback feature that Sync 3 allows at the same time?
Or would I be forced to use only the features on my phone when I am in google CarPlay mode? This is what you describe, however I want to use navigation and sync at the same time like the first example.

My question is this: Can I use Google maps as my navigation and listen to XM/Sirius Radio with playback feature that Sync 3 allows at the same time?
Or would I be forced to use only the features on my phone when I am in google CarPlay mode? This is what you describe, however I want to use navigation and sync at the same time like the first example.

hit the little button on the carplay screen on the bottom left that has several little boxes in it. It should bring up a screen that shows icons for several apps... hit the blue ford one an it goes back to your "regular" ford radio screen the way it was before you plugged your phone in.

hit the little button on the carplay screen on the bottom left that has several little boxes in it. It should bring up a screen that shows icons for several apps... hit the blue ford one an it goes back to your "regular" ford radio screen the way it was before you plugged your phone in.
I know that it can go back and forth, can it play sync xm/sirius while google maps is on the screen?

Thank You

Yes you can play any audio source while using Google or Apple Maps. If our navigating when your map needs to give you a direction, it will mute the music audio, play the direction and then go back to music. Been working great so far. I am referring to Apple and via USB connection if your question is Android, assume would work the same way, but not sure about Carplay over a Bluetooth adapter

Last edited:
Yes you can play any audio source while using Google or Apple Maps. If our navigating when your map needs to give you a direction, it will mute the music audio, play the direction and then go back to music. Been working great so far. I am referring to Apple and via USB connection if your question is Android, assume would work the same way, but not sure about Carplay over a Bluetooth adapter
Thanks,

I’m asking several Tremors do not have navigation. I like and want to keep sync 3 and it’s audio services(favorite songs artists, replay songs that have just played) while the map is showing directions and traffic.

Thank You

Thanks,

I’m asking several Tremors do not have navigation. I like and want to keep sync 3 and it’s audio services(favorite songs artists, replay songs that have just played) while the map is showing directions and traffic.

Thank You
Yep both Google and Apple Maps have worked as I described - I don’t use Ford Nav system so should work out for you

Yes wired usb, I don't think Carplay will work unless you get one of the wireless adapters posted above- which sound pretty cool. I started out with a short usb cable and just laid the phone in the console, but then put in some mounts for phone, GoPro, etc and ran the wires up the edge of the dash

Attachments

• IMG_3954.JPG
    IMG_3954.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 69

Latest Discussions

Back