CarPlay and Gaia

Flourman

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 Lariat Tremor
Current Ride #2
2019 Beta 300RR
I started messing with Gaia a while ago as a means to map trails when my wife got her Bronco. I started messing more when I got my Tremor. The neat thing about Gaia is that it pairs with Trails Offroad. Gaia is supported by CarPlay. It just takes a free membership to Trails Offroad and a Gaia account to do so. Granted, not all of the trails are available with the free membership.

3293AEDC-C0A1-4C40-9CB0-EE601601B7AC.jpeg

When you download the .gpx or upload to Gaia, it automatically imports as a “track”. With the app on CarPlay, to be visible, you need to have it import as a “route”. This is where it gets a bit of a ring around. You have to download GPSBabel to convert from a track to a route and make sure your files are correct.

Once converted to a route, upload to your Gaia GPS account. This has to be done through a PC.
CE41A744-FE33-41FE-B0DE-21CF19717FCA.jpeg

Once this is done, you can see and access your routes through the GaiaGPS app on CarPlay (colored routes on the map)

DD2B65BE-EE8F-445D-B9C1-E336504C1486.jpeg

Yes, there is a bit of “roundy round” but it does present a solution to work with CarPlay and a big screen in the truck. There are a TON of other options out there but this is one option that is available. There are way too many steps but none of them are super complicated. Heck, I learned it all in a couple minutes of google searching.

A note on this, in Rock Crawl mode, CarPlay is removed from view for the camera view. You have to switch back and forth to see the map. I solve this by only switching on rock crawl mode when I want the cameras and the other benefits. I don’t leave rock crawl on all the time.

Sweet! Gaia is one of the things I‘m most looking forward to with CarPlay. Haven’t had a need to use Gaia in the few weeks I’ve owned the truck, but great to see it works well!

Does Gaia now follow your location? Last time I used it, it did not follow you on the map, you had to manually move the map
It definitely can on the phone. Don’t know about CarPlay, though.

It definitely can on the phone. Don’t know about CarPlay, though.

That is a update then & a great one, last time I used it on my phone, it was like using a paper map & did not track your location like the vehicle or phone mapping programs did.

might just have to get another subscription since they have improved it

It did for me and I was running on wireless CarPlay.

Used it on Gold camp road to see how it compared to the actual trail on both a iPad and a iPhone and it was not bad, but hated that we had to move the map around your location instead of it working with your GPS

Used it also in Moab and the San Juan’s, was not bad & loved all the different map overlays

Have never used trails off road, might have to explore that as well as the offf road program TFL trucks use to see how they stack up against each other

Used it on Gold camp road to see how it compared to the actual trail on both a iPad and a iPhone and it was not bad, but hated that we had to move the map around your location instead of it working with your GPS

Used it also in Moab and the San Juan’s, was not bad & loved all the different map overlays

Have never used trails off road, might have to explore that as well as the offf road program TFL trucks use to see how they stack up against each other
I tried OnX Off Road, the app TFL uses, and honestly found it pretty much useless. Maybe I’m not using it right, but I find Gaia dramatically more valuable.

My feeling is that they pay for more advertising, Gaia pays for more actual development.

I only use Trails Offroad to get the .gpx tracks. They have it rounded up in one site vs. scouring the web for .gpx tracks. If you already have tracks and routes saved or you manually map out a route, there is no need for Trails Offroad.

Yes Gaia works on Android as well. I have been using Gaia for years now. I have an iPad mounted in my RZR just for Gaia. Used it on a MOAB trip and I was able to find all the trails out there along with Silverton, CO. We also used it heavily in Silverton with both a mine overlay and a mine gpx file that I have to go and check out all the mining stuff. Great program for sure.

Latest Discussions

Back