Carli Track Bar alignment question

Alpoba

Alpoba
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Guys with carli installs, please do me a favor and look at your carli track bar at the frame side, is it similar to how mine is or is it more centered/parallel to the frame as is shown in Carli install guide photo.

Myself and @Grabber were checking it out yesterday because my rig started making clunking noises at near full turns. He actially could hear it as i was turning into park. Could this be the reason? should the track bar be adjusted to be better centered where it is not making any metal to metal contact with the frame.

The last pro front end shop i took it too couldnt figure out the source of the clunking noise, but i think @Grabber was immediately on to something.

@Tx-Tremor6.7 @Supercup @Vecman @BLACKCHERRY

Attachments

• 7DC82B9C-9AF1-4CA0-85D4-2A68E41B0D6E.jpeg
    7DC82B9C-9AF1-4CA0-85D4-2A68E41B0D6E.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 4985E222-1E15-4BE1-8A81-CF3408F15879.jpeg
    4985E222-1E15-4BE1-8A81-CF3408F15879.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 105
Guys with carli installs, please do me a favor and look at your carli track bar at the frame side, is it similar to how mine is or is it more centered/parallel to the frame as is shown in Carli install guide photo.

Myself and @Grabber were checking it out yesterday because my rig started making clunking noises at near full turns. He actially could hear it as i was turning into park. Could this be the reason? should the track bar be adjusted to be better centered where it is not making any metal to metal contact with the frame.

The last pro front end shop i took it too couldnt figure out the source of the clunking noise, but i think @Grabber was immediately on to something.

@Tx-Tremor6.7 @Supercup @Vecman @BLACKCHERRY
Just saw this. Ill check it out in the morning and see what I see

The picture on the left is typical. It's a threw bolted bearing thats designed to rotate. I do suggest re-checking its torque when you're under there greasing the ft Axle Joints and Sway Bar links.

We noticed a clunk when turning left last night when the steering wheel is turned at least 80% as far as it goes left. It’s not the steering pump, no knock when stopped & can’t figure it out

We noticed a clunk when turning left last night when the steering wheel is turned at least 80% as far as it goes left. It’s not the steering pump, no knock when stopped & can’t figure it out
Ditto. That is the same clunk i have been trying to diagnose for a month.

The picture on the left is typical. It's a threw bolted bearing thats designed to rotate. I do suggest re-checking its torque when you're under there greasing the ft Axle Joints and Sway Bar links.
I suspected that was the case, aligned the track bar so that the uniball frame joint was parralel to the frame, a few miles later it is back to the position as pictured above.

@Gus how is yours lined up? Can you take a photo? I doubt that’s the root cause of the clunk, but i too am out of ideas.

I have a clunk as well, but didn’t start getting the sound until I had the radius arms, torsion sway bar, and both high and low mount stabilizers installed. Just figured it was normal.

I have a clunk as well, but didn’t start getting the sound until I had the radius arms, torsion sway bar, and both high and low mount stabilizers installed. Just figured it was normal.
Amazing. I wonder how many of us with Carli inherited this clunk with the install. Because i too started noticing it immediately after the install, it was not there on my factory suspension. And being that i’m OCD when it comes to things like these, it is not OK with me, and i have been trying to figure it out. Took it to a pro front end shop who specializes in these type of issues. A few diagnosis labor hours later, they couldn’t pinpoint the root cause, and i’m still clunking. Obviously i can’t take it to Ford to diagnose being that it’s an aftermarket induced clunk.

I’m beginning to live up to the reality of a custom suspension and the challenges dealing with an issue. Carli will say, it was your installer, everything is designed to work together flawlessly. Ford will say its not factory, we can’t cover it. Independent shops will struggle to diagnose the issue.

Amazing. I wonder how many of us with Carli inherited this clunk with the install. Because i too started noticing it immediately after the install, it was not there on my factory suspension. And being that i’m OCD when it comes to things like these, it is not OK with me, and i have been trying to figure it out. Took it to a pro front end shop who specializes in these type of issues. A few diagnosis labor hours later, they couldn’t pinpoint the root cause, and i’m still clunking. Obviously i can’t take it to Ford to diagnose being that it’s an aftermarket induced clunk.

I’m beginning to live up to the reality of a custom suspension and the challenges dealing with an issue. Carli will say, it was your installer, everything is designed to work together flawlessly. Ford will say its not factory, we can’t cover it. Independent shops will struggle to diagnose the issue.
Let me rephrase what I wrote, I originally had the Carli Pintop kit installed while the other parts came in as they were back ordered. And I had no clunk with just that. It was only when I got my truck back yesterday after having the rest of the parts installed I notice a clunk when turning left.

I suspected that was the case, aligned the track bar so that the uniball frame joint was parralel to the frame, a few miles later it is back to the position as pictured above.

@Gus how is yours lined up? Can you take a photo? I doubt that’s the root cause of the clunk, but i too am out of ideas.

I’m anal about vehicles and never noticed it before the suspension upgrade, was going to call the 4x4 shop Monday & see what they said. Have a appointment in Oct for inspection/re torquing and figure will have 700-900 miles on it by then

Need to hit the car wash, wet muddy dirt roads = ick crusted on but have unlimited washes so will hit the tunnel wash and see how it cleans things up

Will try and get pictures

This is my first aftermarket suspension upgrade & spent months researching before ordering the Tremor and planning for a Carli suspension

Everyone I ever talked to said they are incredible and well worth the price and then the E Venture dropped so I threw the entire catalog onto the Tremor

So far other than the clunk have not been disappointed, only time will tell how things pan out

Let me rephrase what I wrote, I originally had the Carli Pintop kit installed while the other parts came in as they were back ordered. And I had no clunk with just that. It was only when I got my truck back yesterday after having the rest of the parts installed I notice a clunk when turning left.

Well this narrows things down “radius arms, torsion sway bar, and both high and low mount stabilizers”

Wonder if we found a empty parking lot & the wife did slow left turns around me that would help narrow it down lol

I’m thinking it’s the torsion away bar personally
I thought about it - can’t see how the sway bar would make clunks on regular turns. I don’t see it moving much

I could see it being the stabilizers or in my case highly likely it’s the drag link.

Here’s what i can observe with suspect parts movement on mine.

I've never totally gotten rid of the 'clunk' after the Trac Bar installation. After re-torquing it, the sound only goes away for a day or two. I recently began thinking the sound could be from the Sway Bar links, because I cant get them to take any grease at all. Idk ..

Is this what you wanted?

98430689-7F1A-4C33-BB95-3713AE224D7A.jpeg

Guys, its the Heim joints. That's par for the course. The ball and socket configuration creates noise when the joint has to twist enough to reach the limit of it's range of motion. This happens pretty frequently when pulling into a driveway or cranking the wheel over to full lock when backing out of a parking space etc. I have had plenty of race car suspension parts utilizing heim joints and they make noise. But the upside is they are significantly stronger and servicable.
My Audi has Heim joints on the upper control arms and they are noisy as well when I pull i to the driveway or have the wheel fully cocked while reversing.
20220924_163500.jpg

Last edited:
Back