Carli Shocks only vs full kit

Ford_Fan

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor
I have a '20 F350 Tremor that I regularly two a 5th wheel with (2600lb pin weight / 14K lbs trailer). The suspension is currently stock other than bags in the rear to keep the truck more level when towing (without the bags my headlights blind oncoming cars :( ).

I'm interested in getting a more compliant ride when unloaded - something more comfortable. I have zero interest in running 37s or lifting the truck. I don't mind the rake. Would adding the Carli tuned back country shocks to a stock Tremor make much of a difference? What about adding the Carli sway bar up front (currently no sway bars as stock on the tremor, right)?

Just wondering as the shock only would be a more economical route both $ and time wise (for install). And I did search but didn't see this question asked. I did also call CJC but really couldn't get an answer beyond "we suggest the full kit as everything is designed to go together". They couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the difference in road ride quality would be without the additional Carli kit components.

Oh and the truck is like 90% road 10% off-road (some gravel / light climbing during vacations).

Well, CJC is right that the shocks are tuned specifically for the rest of the components in the set. That includes the altered shock geometry by adding 2-5 inches of length to the springs.

The Carli basically runs on custom valved Fox 2.0s or Kings. Have you thought about going with a standard set of Fox or King shocks?

Well, CJC is right that the shocks are tuned specifically for the rest of the components in the set. That includes the altered shock geometry by adding 2-5 inches of length to the springs.

The Carli basically runs on custom valved Fox 2.0s or Kings. Have you thought about going with a standard set of Fox or King shocks?
I have but since the Carli sells just the shock package (see here: https://carlisuspension.com/product...d-shock-packages/leveling/2017-leveling-spkg/) I thought that might be the best option.

Has anyone tried just the tuned shocks from Carli?

Thanks! I hadn't seen this as an option, just saw people reference Accutune. For the Tremor - is that considered stock or leveled ride height? I assume these are bolt one and probably just what I'm looking for!
I think Accutune would be a better option. I've got the Backcountry with full leaf springs. I don't think the shocks themselves are any more compliant than the OEM. They might even be stiffer. I'd try calling Accutune.

I think Accutune would be a better option. I've got the Backcountry with full leaf springs. I don't think the shocks themselves are any more compliant than the OEM. They might even be stiffer. I'd try calling Accutune.
I sent them an email and plan to call tomorrow.

How do you feel the backcountry rides on road, unloaded, compared to stock?

@Rich Pune Hey Rich, are you saying the backcountry is still pretty stiff on pavement? I spend a lot of time on fire roads or worse and was thinking about the back country myself, would you get something different next time? Maybe the pin top?

@Rich Pune Hey Rich, are you saying the backcountry is still pretty stiff on pavement? I spend a lot of time on fire roads or worse and was thinking about the back country myself, would you get something different next time? Maybe the pin top?
I also went with the Backcountry as the shocks are in the middle for on road comfort and off road performance. Mine rides great on and off road, but my 37x17s Ridge Grapplers have a lot to do with the on road comfort. I drop my tires down to 40 psi, and the truck rides better the stock when empty.

The pintop will give you harshest ride on the road due to the valving of the King shocks, while the commuter shocks will give you the best ride on the road.

I'm really happy with the Backcountry. I live on a dirt road that gets rough with washboard every year - the county smooths it out every summer. The Backcountry made a tremendous difference on both pavement and dirt roads. The difference between the Pin Top and the Backcountry, from a design perspective, is speed. Backcountry can handle 25 to 45 mph, whereas the Pin Top is for stuff faster than 45. I'm simplifying a bit here, but that was the way CJC explained it to me when I talked to them. I told them I live on a dirt road and off roading is pretty much limited to fire and forest roads. Their response - Backcountry. After logging some miles this summer on dirt roads, I'm really happy.

Why I think the shocks are stiffer as a standalone upgrade is because they are designed to handle some off-road and I'm pretty sure the coil springs have more affect on softness than the shocks. So just getting shocks likely won't help much.

@Tx-Tremor6.7 is right. Since the Kings are built for speed, the compression damping will be firmer compared to the Fox 2.0s.

Why I think the shocks are stiffer as a standalone upgrade is because they are designed to handle some off-road and I'm pretty sure the coil springs have more affect on softness than the shocks. So just getting shocks likely won't help much.
I'm starting to get that picture but wish it could be quantified how much a difference the Carli springs and track bar will really back (as part of the back country kit) vs just doing the shocks. Again, I don't really want to change the height of the Tremor. It's already a bit too tall for my 5th wheel.

I was hoping CJC could give me the details on how these items (springs, track bar and even their sway bar) would change the ride but I couldn't get an answer other than the kit is designed together and would be better than just shocks. Better is subjective and the $s are substantial (both purchase and install).

I also went with the Backcountry as the shocks are in the middle for on road comfort and off road performance. Mine rides great on and off road, but my 37x17s Ridge Grapplers have a lot to do with the on road comfort. I drop my tires down to 40 psi, and the truck rides better the stock when empty.

The pintop will give you harshest ride on the road due to the valving of the King shocks, while the commuter shocks will give you the best ride on the road.
Did you try the back country before fitting the 37s? If so, can you describe how much better the ride was on-road vs stock?

Did you try the back country before fitting the 37s? If so, can you describe how much better the ride was on-road vs stock?
I did not get a chance to drive the truck with just the Carli Suspension, as I had it all done at the same time. I feel it rides better than stock with my 37s.

Here is a picture I took of the truck with the back country before the wheels and tires were installed. (I stopped by for a quick look, but did not drive it...)

Tremor-Carli-Stock.jpg

If you're simply looking to improve your unloaded ride quality, and you already have airbags to aid towing, I would imagine the highest leverage thing you could do would be to replace the rear springs.

Shocks alone might marginally improve your ride quality, but the primary source of discomfort is the rear spring pack. You've picked up on this by noticing how much better the ride is when there's some weight on those springs.

Look into these: https://carlisuspension.com/product...-plus/ford-full-spring-packs-2017-super-duty/

Also, as others have mentioned, if you're insistent on replacing shocks I would not go with any of the Carli options unless getting their full system. What's the point of putting in shocks tuned for different springs and use cases than you have when there are already options tuned to the stock suspension for your use case?

* This said: If you do replace your rear spring pack, it's only another $1,125 for the Carli Commuter shocks and front springs. This would level your truck, but doesn't “lift” it demonstrably SFAIU. And since you already have air bags, you've already solved for the biggest downside of leveling.

Also, for your use case, you want Commuter not Backcountry.

If you're simply looking to improve your unloaded ride quality, and you already have airbags to aid towing, I would imagine the highest leverage thing you could do would be to replace the rear springs.

Shocks alone might marginally improve your ride quality, but the primary source of discomfort is the rear spring pack. You've picked up on this by noticing how much better the ride is when there's some weight on those springs.

Look into these: https://carlisuspension.com/product...-plus/ford-full-spring-packs-2017-super-duty/

Also, as others have mentioned, if you're insistent on replacing shocks I would not go with any of the Carli options unless getting their full system. What's the point of putting in shocks tuned for different springs and use cases than you have when there are already options tuned to the stock suspension for your use case?

* This said: If you do replace your rear spring pack, it's only another $1,125 for the Carli Commuter shocks and front springs. This would level your truck, but doesn't “lift” it demonstrably SFAIU. And since you already have air bags, you've already solved for the biggest downside of leveling.

Also, for your use case, you want Commuter not Backcountry.
Thanks for all the input! Definitely a lot to consider - just hard to make a decision without being able to try for myself. I guess I'll just have to trust in the info here and pull the trigger on a solution.

Regarding commuter vs backcountry - it sounded like the BC had all the good on-road characteristics of the commuter but was better for off-road? Is that not correct? Also - for either if I add the leaf springs, would I need to add the daystar cradles under the airlift air bags?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the input! Definitely a lot to consider - just hard to make a decision without being able to try for myself. I guess I'll just have to trust in the info here and pull the trigger on a solution.

Regarding commuter vs backcountry - it sounded like the BC had all the good on-road characteristics of the commuter but was better for off-road? Is that not correct? Also - for either if I add the leaf springs, would I need to add the daystar cradles under the airlift air bags?

Thanks again!
The valving for the commuter shocks are tuned for on the road. The valving for the Fox BC and King Pintop shocks are tuned for a mix of on and off road, making them harsher. The King shocks are the best for off road, but the worse for everyday driving on the road.

You will need Daystar cradles regardless if you swap out the leaf springs. They help prevent the airbags from tearing when your suspension articulates off-road.

Thanks again!
Hi just reading the forum..what shocks did you end up purchasing? I’m think of doing the same thing. I don’t want to go with 37s if anything I would go with the Yokohama mt 315 70 18 they are 35.6 and thinking of the OEM King shocks. Thx

I kept stock. Too big an investment for something I'm unable to try first. I mainly use the Tremor for towing our 5th wheel and excursions once we get to where we're camping so decided stock is good enough. Sorry I couldn't help.

Back