Carli question

Lgm1970

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350 King Ranch Tremor
Has anyone installed a gas specific Carli set up on their 7.3 Tremor yet and if so what are your impressions? I am considering a Carli system however the only available setup right now is the Pintop (and basic leveling) which is not initially what I had wanted (Backcountry). But with the Backcounty/Commuter probably not going to be ready until early 2022 I am looking at either the Pintop or having Accutune build a shock and using all other Carli parts. CJC says the Pintop gas will probably not be that different than the Backcounty but I have a hard time believing that as they are different shocks and tuned differently.

By the way, Nick at Apollo Optics is great and has been a huge help!

Love my gas 2.5” pintop👍. What specifically are you wanting to know?

Awesome video! Well I hadn't planned on being that aggressive with mine off road..lol, mine is most a road truck with some off road but not to the extent of yours in the video, I was curious if the pintop ride on road was significantly better than stock. I have read the pintop is not as compliant on road as the backcountry due to the more aggressive off-road tune.

I asked this exact question but didn't really get much info. Basically, if you go with an option that is for the 6.7 and put it on the 7.3, your ride most likely will be a little stiffer and it will actually be about a inch higher due to the lighter 7.3.

I asked this exact question but didn't really get much info. Basically, if you go with an option that is for the 6.7 and put it on the 7.3, your ride most likely will be a little stiffer and it will actually be about a inch higher due to the lighter 7.3.
That makes sense to me, thanks. Apparently they have the gas springs and shocks for pintop in stock (limited) but nothing else( backcountry/commuter)- at the moment.

I have not personally driven a Backcountry equipped truck, so I honestly cannot make a comparison. However, I can confirm that the Pintop is definetly better than stock suspension. The steering is crisp and responsive, but the jarring from speed bumps and curbs is gone and my ass end no longer skips and hops on overpass expansion joints.

I honestly believe your tire selection and air pressure will have a bigger impact on ride than the Backcountry vs Pintop issue.

Regarding springs, I believe all Carli gas kits use the same springs, the only real difference is shocks.

For the record, the Torsion Sway Bar and Deaver springs made a huge difference in ride quality and I am running a Fox ATS stabilizer with front alignment done for a neutral bias. If you want to save $, skip the Radius Arms.

I have not personally driven a Backcountry equipped truck, so I honestly cannot make a comparison. However, I can confirm that the Pintop is definetly better than stock suspension. The steering is crisp and responsive, but the jarring from speed bumps and curbs is gone and my ass end no longer skips and hops on overpass expansion joints.

I honestly believe your tire selection and air pressure will have a bigger impact on ride than the Backcountry vs Pintop issue.

Regarding springs, I believe all Carli gas kits use the same springs, the only real difference is shocks.

For the record, the Torsion Sway Bar and Deaver springs made a huge difference in ride quality and I am running a Fox ATS stabilizer with front alignment done for a neutral bias. If you want to save $, skip the Radius Arms.
Since you didn't do the add a pack for the springs... Did you add air bags?

have the 6.7, but agree with the above. Biggest improvements came from torsion sway bar (way less lateral jarring when hitting driveways at angles, for example) and the Deaver progressive springs (keeps the rear end from hopping all over the place). And aired down tires might be the most important. I tried fully aired just to see the difference, and it was definitely noticeable.

that said, I like the shocks too. Was doing 70 down a dirt road and it felt better than the stock truck on some rougher paved roads around here. That said, if you don’t intend to thrash it, I’d save the cash and wait for the commuter. Or if cash is no object, go dominator just fit the hell of it.

Since you didn't do the add a pack for the springs... Did you add air bags?
The most I tow is a single car/truck trailer and so far am content. If I towed more I would run a pair of bags.

The most I tow is a single car/truck trailer and so far am content. If I towed more I would run a pair of bags.
How heavy is your trailer? I'm trying to gauge if I would need airbags with the camper I'm looking at, if I would go with the pintop. Gross weight is 8k. Haven't decided if I would wait or not for the Backcountry.

How heavy is your trailer? I'm trying to gauge if I would need airbags with the camper I'm looking at, if I would go with the pintop. Gross weight is 8k. Haven't decided if I would wait or not for the Backcountry.
As others have mentioned, the only difference between the Carli suspension packages are the shocks. The shocks have no bearing on carrying capacity or towing. If you want to tow heavy, stick with the Deaver Add-a-Packs which maintains 100% factory carrying capacity and skip the full progressive leaf springs where you lose 25%.

When you say 8k gross weight, is that the max your camper can carry? My camper has a dry weight of 7600 lbs, but the maximum weight is 9800 lbs when loaded. I have weighed mine twice and it was 9300 and 9500 lbs. My TW has consistently been 1150 lbs based on my tongue scale. I normally carry 200-300 lbs in my bed behind my axle, which is all that matters when calculating WDH spring bar capacity.

I have the Carli Back Country with Deaver Add-a-Packs, and with a Blue Ox WDH and 1500 lb spring bars, my truck was squatting more then 2” when loaded. I added Air Lift 5000 lb Ultimate airbags and Wireless One controller to minimize the sag to 1” when towing, which leaves me with 1” positive rake back to front.

have the 6.7, but agree with the above. Biggest improvements came from torsion sway bar (way less lateral jarring when hitting driveways at angles, for example) and the Deaver progressive springs (keeps the rear end from hopping all over the place). And aired down tires might be the most important. I tried fully aired just to see the difference, and it was definitely noticeable.

that said, I like the shocks too. Was doing 70 down a dirt road and it felt better than the stock truck on some rougher paved roads around here. That said, if you don’t intend to thrash it, I’d save the cash and wait for the commuter. Or if cash is no object, go dominator just fit the hell of it.
Well cash isn't really an object to me...but my wife says otherwise so dominator is out..lol I definitely don't intend to thrash the truck very often if at all. I was thinking I would go with the add-a-packs to maintain the factory capacity, which i realize will not give me the absolute best ride but should still be way better than stock (I am also putting on Sulastic Shackles this weekend to see if that helps any as well.

You may have seen this already but, if not, it might be helpful in deciding if you’d need bags with the full replacement springs.

I don't believe the add-a-packs work on tremors, due to them having 350 springs. At least that's what CJC told me for my 250.
This is not correct. Many members including myself are using Add-a-Packs under our Tremor 1-ton leaf springs. Whoever you talked to at CJC was mistaken.

Here is my setup with Carli BC, AAPs and airbags:

9E922743-38E8-4D90-B174-DC9BD65B2B9A.jpeg

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, the only difference between the Carli suspension packages are the shocks. The shocks have no bearing on carrying capacity or towing. If you want to tow heavy, stick with the Deaver Add-a-Packs which maintains 100% factory carrying capacity and skip the full progressive leaf springs where you lose 25%.

When you say 8k gross weight, is that the max your camper can carry? My camper has a dry weight of 7600 lbs, but the maximum weight is 9800 lbs when loaded. I have weighed mine twice and it was 9300 and 9500 lbs. My TW has consistently been 1150 lbs based on my tongue scale. I normally carry 200-300 lbs in my bed behind my axle, which is all that matters when calculating WDH spring bar capacity.

I have the Carli Back Country with Deaver Add-a-Packs, and with a Blue Ox WDH and 1500 lb spring bars, my truck was squatting more then 2” when loaded. I added Air Lift 5000 lb Ultimate airbags and Wireless One controller to minimize the sag to 1” when towing, which leaves me with 1” positive rake back to front.
Correct. It has a 6200 lbs dry weight with the max weight at 8k lbs, if my memory serves me properly.
How is your ride, unloaded, with the back county with the add a pack??

You may have seen this already but, if not, it might be helpful in deciding if you’d need bags with the full replacement springs.

I actually did not see this! Thanks for the link.

Correct. It has a 6200 lbs dry weight with the max weight at 8k lbs, if my memory serves me properly.
How is your ride, unloaded, with the back county with the add a pack??
My truck rides as good as an F150 when unloaded, but not as smooth as my Raptors. I am running 37x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers at 40 psi, so they have a lot to do with the smoothness and small bump compliance on the highway.

My truck rides as good as an F150 when unloaded, but not as smooth as my Raptors. I am running 37x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers at 40 psi, so they have a lot to do with the smoothness and small bump compliance on the highway.
throwing an off subject curve here, but I see you're running 37's and want to know if you've used FORScan successfully to adjust your speedo? if so, details please if you wouldn't mind.

throwing an off subject curve here, but I see you're running 37's and want to know if you've used FORScan successfully to adjust your speedo? if so, details please if you wouldn't mind.
I have not had a chance to get back into Forscan to make the changes.

Here is the Forscan website explaining the process for our trucks:
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15994

Back