CARLI PINTOP IN COLD WEATHER

Klutch

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor F350 6.7L
Hi, I've been running a carli pintop since summer, and now that it's winter I've noticed some soft clunking in the front once and awhile going over bumps in the cold temps of -20 celsius or colder. I've checked the truck and everything is tight and torqued. Would the cold weather cause the shocks to make noise? I noticed my raptor used to do it too.

How did you verify everything is torqued? Also, are you able to replicate the clunking noise by jumping up and down on the running board? If so, you can have someone go underneath the truck while making the noise to see what is causing it.

How did you verify everything is torqued? Also, are you able to replicate the clunking noise by jumping up and down on the running board? If so, you can have someone go underneath the truck while making the noise to see what is causing it.
I went over all hardware and checked. Checked bushings for play. Took the weight off axle and checked as well. I installed the kit myself.
No I can't replicate it. Only driving in the cold. Needs to be a quick suspension movement.

I went over all hardware and checked. Checked bushings for play. Took the weight off axle and checked as well. I installed the kit myself.
No I can't replicate it. Only driving in the cold. Needs to be a quick suspension movement.

I'm going to assume you took a torque wrench and retorqued all the applicable bolts to the specs specified by the manual. The only other lift-related part I can think of is the spring perch. Do they look healthy?

You may also want to look at the rest of the suspension, like A arms, steering components, etc. Or maybe it's something else that's not supposed to move, like a bumper mount. If you still can't find it, maybe you can try hooking up a camera underneath the vehicle while you drive. See if that can capture any clunks and unwanted movement.

I'm going to assume you took a torque wrench and retorqued all the applicable bolts to the specs specified by the manual. The only other lift-related part I can think of is the spring perch. Do they look healthy?

You may also want to look at the rest of the suspension, like A arms, steering components, etc. Or maybe it's something else that's not supposed to move, like a bumper mount. If you still can't find it, maybe you can try hooking up a camera underneath the vehicle while you drive. See if that can capture any clunks and unwanted movement.
You are correct, i checked all torque with torque wrench.

I guess what is puzzling is that it goes away when it warms up. I've heard of shocks clunking in the cold, just wondered if anyone had that happen with these specific shocks.

I drove a 88 dodge omni that developed a ridgid suspension when it got real cold. It was on the verge of dangerous on the highway. I was told that some manufacturers oil could thicken to that point if it was cold enough. That has been 15 years so not sure if it is relevant now a days.

It's the valving on the shocks. High performance shocks make sound as they move when they are cold.

You are correct, i checked all torque with torque wrench.

I guess what is puzzling is that it goes away when it warms up. I've heard of shocks clunking in the cold, just wondered if anyone had that happen with these specific shocks.
My guess is that it is the oil King uses. I'm way more familiar with higher end mountain bike suspension than truck suspension. With mountain bike shocks or forks, when riding in temps near freezing, the suspension can be harsh and make clicking sounds until it warms up on the downhill sections. Even the rebound can slow down noticeably until the oil warms up and viscosity thins out.

My guess is that King shocks are not designed with cold weather in mind. I think the focal point is high spend desert running. A lot of folks wrap their King shocks in 3M to avoid corrosion. Carli recommends it if you leave up north.

I have the fox 2.0 performance series shocks with resis on my truck and they clunk when cold. My raptor with 2.5 foxes also clunks

Sounds like a track bar issue to me. Most shops don't have the torq wrench required for the torq it requires. And good and tight ain't enough. The result is a clunk when hitting bumps.
Assuming they or you took it off or replaced it during the install process

Sounds like a track bar issue to me. Most shops don't have the torq wrench required for the torq it requires. And good and tight ain't enough. The result is a clunk when hitting bumps.
Assuming they or you took it off or replaced it during the install process
It is replaced and it is torqued. I have the tools. Definitely not my first install.

It's the valving on the shocks. High performance shocks make sound as they move when they are cold.
Winner right here.... assuming all hardware is properly tightened down the usual culprit when cold weather is in play is the internal construction of the valves within the shocks. The tell-tale sound is a clunk that happens occasionally when the shock compresses. Since the fluid is so thick during the cold it doesn't flow through the valves as easily and can actually move some of the internals around.

We've experienced this "clunking" for years with ARB's BP-51 suspension during the cold months and after talking w/ ARB about it they explained it's normal considering the circumstances.

I have the fox 2.0 performance series shocks with resis on my truck and they clunk when cold. My raptor with 2.5 foxes also clunks
How cold do you get in Florida brother?

I agree with you its the oil in the shocks is so thick at minus 20F.

How cold do you get in Florida brother?

I agree with you its the oil in the shocks is so thick at minus 20F.
I've had the tremor in high 40s so far. Not really cold for yall but for me that's insane? Its enough for their to be an audible difference. I've had my raptor in 19° weather offroad in PA and the clunking was INSANE.

It is replaced and it is torqued. I have the tools. Definitely not my first install.
O cool. What did you torque it to. Just wondering. I thinking about lifting and replacing the trac bar as well when I get my truck

O cool. What did you torque it to. Just wondering. I thinking about lifting and replacing the trac bar as well when I get my truck
250 lower 410 upper

Back