Carli E-Venture

I just had a 3.5” eventure kit installed. I’m not sure if my expectations were unrealistic, but the ride is incredibly firm to me. Even lowering tire pressure and moving to full comfort it’s firm. I’d describe it like a sports car that is tuned for corners and speed so everyday driving just feels firm and you feel everything in the road. It’s not as jarring as stock and the steering is greatly improved, but it is shockingly firm to me on road, it does not feel like it moves with the road at all and works as fast as possible to return shocks to neutral after any slight bump. I literally feel everything on the road as if there is no give and everything in the cab is in constant motion or “jiggling” because everything transfers from the road to the cab. Additionally there is zero noticeable difference from sport to comfort or between the 3 modes. It’s not comfortable because my body is constantly tense to absorb everything the truck isn’t.

Is this just the reality of the kit or should I take it back to the shop?

Running Nitto Ridge Grapplers 38-13.5r20.

Dan from Carli is completely against the ridge grappler. He describes it as one of the worst tires for small bump compliance.

Also, please say whether or not it’s a full kit do you have rear Deavers.

Sorry I threw my back out and I am on Flexeril. What tire pressure are you running? Also a lot of people are going to say part of your problem is the 20s

45 front and 40 rear. 20 vs 18 is a 1" sidewall difference and relative to the overall sidewall height is ~10%. I agree it could make a difference, but I don't think it is the deciding factor.

Can I check that I have the diesel kit vs gasser kit? Wouldn't the algorithm be different due to the weight?

I just had a 3.5” eventure kit installed. I’m not sure if my expectations were unrealistic, but the ride is incredibly firm to me. Even lowering tire pressure and moving to full comfort it’s firm. I’d describe it like a sports car that is tuned for corners and speed so everyday driving just feels firm and you feel everything in the road. It’s not as jarring as stock and the steering is greatly improved, but it is shockingly firm to me on road, it does not feel like it moves with the road at all and works as fast as possible to return shocks to neutral after any slight bump. I literally feel everything on the road as if there is no give and everything in the cab is in constant motion or “jiggling” because everything transfers from the road to the cab. Additionally there is zero noticeable difference from sport to comfort or between the 3 modes. It’s not comfortable because my body is constantly tense to absorb everything the truck isn’t.

its the difference between progressive, linear and digressive valved shocks, and how they feel on the road. if your looking for a soft smooth shock you want a progressive valve shock... sounds like you got a digressive adjustable valve shock.

It gets better. I beat my rear leafs up pretty good the first 500 miles. You need to really break in your leaf springs

I also think I probably chose the wrong tire like you with the nitto ridge grappler. I'll probably go all terrain after I wear these out.

its the difference between progressive, linear and digressive valved shocks, and how they feel on the road. if your looking for a soft smooth shock you want a progressive valve shock... sounds like you got a digressive adjustable valve shock.
Very familiar with the pitfalls of mixing a digressive shock and progressive spring. I assumed the Eventure shocks, being live valved, would be linear?

@Bigzaj I share similar thoughts initially but have done the following, whilst still running stock wheels/tires.
-PSI is 43ish cold in front and 34 in rear
-Street mode i have adjusted front and rear to Comfort completely
-Optionally, throw 1,200 lbs of ballast in the back to preload the shocks (I've done it, it helps a lot, but more trouble than worth! :D)

Baja mode certainly is noticeable in two instances: Steering is sharper and great for cornering. Bump compliance is very tacit and quick to react vs Street in comfort full setting is more wallowing and mellow. I frankly only need to throw baja on when I know the highway has some nasty turns, poor road quality...but I still want to be driving at 75-85 mph.

These changes on my 7.3 with full eventure have helped a lot. I frankly am surprised with what I'm seeing from others regarding the Ridge Grapplers as I haven't seen other negative comments on the forums about that. I am, however very picky and hate 99% of all the other available wheels on the after-market, so since I can't see myself changing wheels, I really only have 1 tire option if I run 37's and that would be the Ridge Grappler. I probably would prefer the Recon Grappler or Wildpeak AT3W's... but again, they don't make a 37x11.5x18. I frankly would be surprised if people claim the Ridge Grappler wouldn't be a viable upgrade in the fashion I'm describing from the stock Duraturds.

To quote you:

"Street in comfort full setting is more wallowing and mellow" Is what I would have expected but I am not experiencing at all.

For tire my other options are the Falken Wild Peak R/T01 or the Toyo Open Country R/T but I think both are a bit more aggressive and not as good in rain as the Nitto.

My measure this morning is I’m driving around in a 2003 Hummer on 21 year old springs, shocks and 6 year old mud terrains. It is jarring on bumps but is smoother and rolls with the road better than my truck right now.

Question and a couple things to consider:

I know you said "full kit, front, rear, steering" - does that include full rear spring pack, radius arms and the torsion sway bar?

If you go back to the shop you might have them check the nitrogen pressure and be sure it is in Carli specs - if too high that will impact ride quality as well.

One thing I did not realize is the 3 settings are not like "clickers" on a conventional offroad shock - when you adjust the clickers you get an immediate change in setting and change in ride and also only that particular setting. The E-Venture is electronically controlled - so when you change from Rock to Street to Baja - you don't get an immediate "feel change" like you do with clickers - what you do get is an adjustment to the computer control of the shock and how it will react to the input it gets from the truck sensors. If you go into the adjustment screen and watch the shock action - you can see an immediate difference in how the shock is reacting to terrain (0 full soft to 10 full stiff) - street will show the shock moving between 2-4 - move to Baja and over the same terrain it may be operating at 5-7 - so a firmer reaction to the terrain you are driving over.

You also have the ability to go in and play with the settings for each shock - softer or stiffer - but again as a reaction to the computers analysis of the conditions. The faster I go, the more plush the suspension gets - which reflects the force it takes to get a large piston in a large shock to move, the initial bite feels firm and you can't adjust that like a "clicker" shock which you can "dial down" the compression and up rebound to get quicker movement and softer ride. But over time your shocks and springs will break in and with the right pressures in the tires it will be a good ride for a HD truck.

I have 34,xxx miles on mine and found that after some miles it improved. I run 37 x 12.5 x 18 Toyo AT3's and find that pressures makes a big difference when I tow I start at max cold of 65 and the ride to and from my storage for trailer is a lot firmer than my normal 40/40. I also found after playing with all the settings on the shocks individually that I ended back at the Carli factory settings for street and baja as my primary settings. When I tow my 5th wheel I stiffen up the rears with that adjustment feature and run in Baja. If I am headed into a clover leaf at speed I go from street to Baja to have a firmer response to the impending roll of the truck.

I wish luck in getting it sorted out to your satisfaction. The system works and give a good ride for a HD Truck with many improvements over stock.

I know we have a Settings thread but never can find it... For anyone who's looking for a new settings idea, I just adjusted the following and am really liking the overall feel:
-Shocks (F, R) all the way left on Comfort

-Pro Settings (Breaking, Roll, Stearing, etc) all the way right to Sensitive

I have it saved all on my Road setting. I did a 75 mph shake out to compare vs low speed, keeps some really nice handling characteristics but a fluffy cushion.

I know we have a Settings thread but never can find it... For anyone who's looking for a new settings idea, I just adjusted the following and am really liking the overall feel:
-Shocks (F, R) all the way left on Comfort

-Pro Settings (Breaking, Roll, Stearing, etc) all the way right to Sensitive

I have it saved all on my Road setting. I did a 75 mph shake out to compare vs low speed, keeps some really nice handling characteristics but a fluffy cushion.
Good tip. I'm getting the e-ventures installed on Monday upgrading from backcountry shocks. I'll try this out after some miles at factory settings!

CJC just posted this video on Youtube on settings and how to got about set up.

Link:

Back