Carli Backcountry System: Any reason NOT to do dual Steering Stabilizers?

Tx-Tremor6.7

Tremor Aficionado
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Tremor 6.7L Lariat Ultimate / Lariat Black
Current Ride #2
2023 Corvette C8 Stingray R
I ordered the Carli Backcountry 2.5/3.5 System with Fox Remote Reservoir shocks, Torsion Sway bar and Deaver Add-A-Packs for the rear. I will be running 37x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Fuel Zephyr 17x9 wheels with a +1mm offset. I am looking for a great ride on the highway with moderate off road capabilities and I will be towing a 7000 lb TT that has a 900-950 lb TW.

Carli Backcountry System

I am debating whether or not to add the dual steering stabilizers to my order. CJC said they normally wait until after the install to determine if the truck is pulling to the right or left based on the tire choice. Is there any reason NOT to order both steering stabilizers to make sure I am covered? (Cost issues aside)

High Mount
Low Mount

From reading the descriptions, they appear to work in tandem with each other, so I am not sure why CJC did not recommend them.

Carli is a pretty responsive company. you could always shoot that question to them and see what they say since they did the development testing

My local Ford dealer has done a bunch of Carli installs and I plan to have them do mine.

The gentleman I talked to sounded confident in his suggestion that with 37’s they typically only really suggest the high mounts steering stabilizers, while with 38’s they suggest both.

I plan on doing the high mount. Low can always be added later.

This is a link to a CJC off road video that They did regarding steering stabilizers. It’s been a while since I watched it, but I believe it may answer your questions. If not, then I apologize but I think you’ll still get some good information from it.

I ordered the Carli Backcountry 2.5/3.5 System with Fox Remote Reservoir shocks, Torsion Sway bar and Deaver Add-A-Packs for the rear. I will be running 37x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Fuel Zephyr 17x9 wheels with a +1mm offset. I am looking for a great ride on the highway with moderate off road capabilities and I will be towing a 7000 lb TT that has a 900-950 lb TW.

Carli Backcountry System

I am debating whether or not to add the dual steering stabilizers to my order. CJC said they normally wait until after the install to determine if the truck is pulling to the right or left based on the tire choice. Is there any reason NOT to order both steering stabilizers to make sure I am covered? (Cost issues aside)

High Mount
Low Mount

From reading the descriptions, they appear to work in tandem with each other, so I am not sure why CJC did not recommend them.
Get them both. Even just for shits and giggles. I ordered the Pintop 3.5 with Radidus Arm, Torsion Sway bar, Full Progressive Leafs, Upper mount steering stabilizer (320$) and low mount stabilizer (570$). For 890$ for stablizers for your 75,000-90,000$ trucks with a 6-8K$ suspension sounds like a no brainer to me. But I get it, everything adds up. But I dont want to Penny pinch on Beast.
Get it you will thank me later. Peace

Carli Backcountry System

High Mount
Low Mount

check my post in the other steering stabilizer threads

Carli Backcountry System

High Mount
Low Mount

Thank you and the others for their replies. I agree there is really no reason not to do it, so I am not sure why CJC initially said to wait.

I added the dual steering stabilizers from Carli to my CJC order and WPS will install everything all at once. I do not want to have to go back after the fact if I have issues with the new wheels and tires.

Last edited:
Thank you and the others for their replies. I agree there is really no reason not to do it, so I am not sure why CJC initially said to wait.

I added the dual steering stabilizers from Carli to my CJC order and WPS will install everything all at once. I do not want to have to go back after the fact if I have issues with the new wheels and tires.

I’m also revising my previous statement. I wasn’t going to get the low mount initially, but now that I changed my wheel/tire combo I won’t need the radius arms so will instead add the low mount steering stabilizer. I largely want that front diff guard as well. The radius arms will be easy to add down the road if I choose.

We’re going to have nearly identical kits, however I am not doing doing the sway bar, and am doing the full progressive rear leaf replacements (my trailer is only 4200 lbs) and Method NV HD 17” wheels with +0 offset and 37x12.5 Toyo MT tires.

My local Ford dealer has done a bunch of Carli installs and I plan to have them do mine.

The gentleman I talked to sounded confident in his suggestion that with 37’s they typically only really suggest the high mounts steering stabilizers, while with 38’s they suggest both.

I plan on doing the high mount. Low can always be added later.
Can you tell me your experience with the upper and lower Carli stabilizer now? I’m also g ok g to rub 37/12.5 /22 ridge grapplers for on road and 37/12.5/18 for off road fun

Can you tell me your experience with the upper and lower Carli stabilizer now? I’m also g ok g to rub 37/12.5 /22 ridge grapplers for on road and 37/12.5/18 for off road fun

My experience with the dual stabilizers and 37s has been fantastic. I have zero issues on the highway when empty or towing upwards of 9500 lbs, and for the minor off-roading I have done. My truck drives straight and steers beautifully in all situations.

On the point of not needing dual stabilizers until you go up to 38s, that is not what I was told by Carli and CJC. They said the reason for dual stabilizers is they offset each other regardless of the tire size. In other words, one pushes to the right, the other pushes to the left, and the Carli stabilizers are air adjustable. You can adjust one or the other if your truck is pulling to the right or the left while leaving the other one alone. They also said, certain tires brands tend to pull more one way vs the other, but that is not always the case. They recommended both so you do not have to add the second one at a later time.

Give Carli or CJC a call, like I did, and they will be more than happy to discuss it with you before buying anything from them.

Here's another thought...
If you only want one stabilizer and are thinking upper, get the Fox ATS. It's a dual direction (both push and pull) stabilizer. Or get the Carli lower leaving the stock in place.
Really the best results are with Carli upper and lower with proper adjustment. The ATS with its adjustment is great for a single damper.

I have a 2.5” Pintop and am running 37x13.5R18s.

I decided to go with the Fox ATS 2.0 and can’t say enough positives about the setup. I had the alignment done with neutral bias, as stock setup takes into account and counters the bias of the conventional stabilizer.

Truck tracks straight, has minimal steering feedback off road and steering input is crisp and responsive (no slop).

Last edited:
I only went with the upper and the steering and handling is absolutely amazing. I went with the swaybar end links as well.

I may do the lower steering stabilizer at some just for the diff cover primarily. Wouldn’t expect too much improvement in steering.

Back