Carli 4.5" Pin Top versus BDS 4" Long Arm Coil Over

Reaction Points
Current Ride
F-250
Got the email from Ford that my truck is shipping.

Time to order the suspension for it.

I'm open to any options but I want to be able to run a 38" tire and be able to articulate fully and full flex out the suspension on light to moderate jeep trails.

What I have seen as the two best options so far seem to be the Carli 4.5" kit with the 2.5" King shocks. I would go with all Carli parts except I would go with no sway bar, completely remove it and I would also go with the PMF 3-link arms since they mount in the factory radius arm mounting location and offer more caster adjustment than the carli and also don't require a mounting relocation bracket like the Carli. Another Plus of the Carli is that it seems like the rear leaf spring pack is the biggest limitation of these trucks and the 11 spring deaver rear leaf replacement spring pack seems to be by far the nicest option.

The BDS kits seem a little on the gimmicky side to me. Their rear replacement leaf spring packs only have like 5 springs compared to 6 in the Deaver. Also, I don't like how the kit includes a 2.5" coilover plus an auxiliary 2.0" shock in the front while all the rear gets is one 2.0" shock. Seems like the front and rear don't receive the same level of attention.

On the Icon kits, the rear seems to be an afterthought as well with most just going with a taller block. Don't want to spend this much and go that route. The Deaver replacement leaf pack completely eliminates blocks and sits right on the spring perch.

What's the forum consensus is the $10k price range?

I got the Carli - 3.5 E-Venture with every option they offer. I could not be happier with the system and the overall performance. I tow a lot, so that is why I went with the 3.5 vs their 5.5. If I did not tow as much or did a lot of off road I would get the Carli 5.5 kit for the added travel. For 38's I would also go 5.5 - I am running 37x12.5x18's.

I had BDS on my last truck (GMC AT4) - I was not satisfied with the 2.0 Fox in the rear and got with Fox and found a proper length 2.5 adj. to go on the rear and had it re-valved a few times until happy.

With Carli that is all done for you - no required brain damage. They test and drive our truck everyday. To me they are the easy go to answer for a Ford or Dodge HD truck!

GLWD

My truck is used almost exclusively for Search & Rescue, Off-road Recovery, and Emergency Medical Support for off-road races. Our trucks are outfitted with Carli, because from our non-scientific, independent research (mashing and breaking our vehicles)… Carli provides the best engineered products, reasonable pricing, and unmatched customer service.

I’m not going to disparage any other brands… But I can honestly attest, after using many of them, I will only consider Carli for my HD truck needs.

As long as you're not looking for the best of the best in on-road ride quality, then the Pintop kit would be my recommendation, but if you're not doing any high speed off-roading, you may be just fine with a Backcountry kit vs the Pintop and keeping some of your on-road ride. If you plan to hit things at speed regularly, then the Pintop would be the kit for you.

Other than that, I'd say the rest of your setup is pretty spot-on. I personally wouldn't run the truck without a sway bar, but if that's what you're comfortable with, by all means. I do like your idea of doing the PMF 3-link in the front, it sounds like it'll fit your needs well.

Carli all day.
Get Carli radius arms and the drop bracket. Way better set-up than PMF IMO.
Backcountry shocks for best on road ride, Pintop for pushing off road

Has anyone here done some light wheeling or light rock crawling in their SD to see how it does compared to a similarly equipped jeep?

Would a SD with a Carli 5.5” suspension system and 37’s be able to keep up with a stock rubicon?

Has anyone here done some light wheeling or light rock crawling in their SD to see how it does compared to a similarly equipped jeep?

Would a SD with a Carli 5.5” suspension system and 37’s be able to keep up with a stock rubicon?

Hi - go to 8:07 and then 9:28 of this video on Carli and see what a 3.5 and 5.5 can do - a stock Rubicon would struggle to get through this obsticle. Breakover due to length is where the SD will struggle - but with 5.5 and 37's or 38's it will go a lot of places you might not expect it to!

Link:

Last edited:
Hi - go to 8:07 and then 9:28 of this video on Carli and see what a 3.5 and 5.5 can do - a stock Rubicon would struggle to get through this obsticle. Breakover due to length is where the SD will struggle - but with 5.5 and 37's or 38's it will go a lot of places you might not expect it to!

Link:
I would really like to try the 39” BFG KM3’s even if I have to do some trimming which I don’t mind. Just don’t know if it’s really worth the headache going off the beaten path when 37’s should be plug and ply and tried and true

I’m sort of cooling off on the nitto trail grapplers for an hd truck, which seems like the only real mt option in 38”.

Toyo MT’s and General Grabber X3’s have both been great for me in current And last trucks and they both come in a 37

Link:
The back of the truck where the bed overhangs so much over the rear wheels will take a lot of abuse lol. Probably would be a huge pain in the ass to bob the bed on one of these with all the technology

The back of the truck where the bed overhangs so much over the rear wheels will take a lot of abuse lol. Probably would be a huge pain in the ass to bob the bed on one of these with all the technology
It is great for "what it is" but it is not a jeep with 40's! That being said for being a big, heavy, long truck, what is capable is, is very impressive.

It is great for "what it is" but it is not a jeep with 40's! That being said for being a big, heavy, long truck, what is capable is, is very impressive.
it did look like the suspension was working well in that video and it was nice that the 3.5 or the 5.5 didn't lift a tire in the air on that section

with that said, i think a jeep rubicon stock or on 35's would walk right up that trail easily without a sweat

I don't know why but I've got the bug to try to do this in a SD that can also tow an equipment trailer with 12-16k on it on a regular basis for work

I currently drive a built JK Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock after swapping my totally built JL Rubicon. It’s good to know there are options to build a Tremor up from stock. It may compare to a stock Rubicon, but there’s no way a built Tremor can complete the trails we’ve been on in Moab and elsewhere. My built 99 TJ was the best Jeep I’ve owned, but the Rubicon didn’t exist then. I’m looking forward to what my stock Tremor will do once I get it. Hopefully I’ll have money left to put diesel in it! :)

it did look like the suspension was working well in that video and it was nice that the 3.5 or the 5.5 didn't lift a tire in the air on that section

with that said, i think a jeep rubicon stock or on 35's would walk right up that trail easily without a sweat
That spot is called Cleghorn Trail in S. Cal - Rubicon on 35's would go up no problem - stock Rubicon struggles due to clearance - most would opt for the bypass option on this trail. The 3.5 truck on 37's made it up, but had a more difficult time with clearance, where the 5.5 truck with 38's walked up no problem.

That spot is called Cleghorn Trail in S. Cal - Rubicon on 35's would go up no problem - stock Rubicon struggles due to clearance - most would opt for the bypass option on this trail. The 3.5 truck on 37's made it up, but had a more difficult time with clearance, where the 5.5 truck with 38's walked up no problem.

that would make for an incredible Carli or CJC video to do a 5.5" Super Duty with 38's against a mostly stock rubicon with 35's taking on some of the well known trails you see out there

The truck is certainly capable over other rigs for sure. But it hearkens back to the wisdom of knowing which trails pickups can handle and which ones a Jeep can handle and try not to confuse the two! Could be an expensive tow! My JL that I swapped with my son for his JK handled Pritchett Canyon, Elephant Hill, Poison Spider, and Moab Rim easily on 37’s. BTW I’d love to see comparison video. Would help me understand and appreciate how capable my Tremor might be when it arrives…someday.

The truck is certainly capable over other rigs for sure. But it hearkens back to the wisdom of knowing which trails pickups can handle and which ones a Jeep can handle and try not to confuse the two! Could be an expensive tow! My JL that I swapped with my son for his JK handled Pritchett Canyon, Elephant Hill, Poison Spider, and Moab Rim easily on 37’s. BTW I’d love to see comparison video. Would help me understand and appreciate how capable my Tremor might be when it arrives…someday.

Moab is on my list once I get the 3.5” e venture installed, what trails would you recommend for such a big truck

Moab is on my list once I get the 3.5” e venture installed, what trails would you recommend for such a big truck
Hardest I did with my Power Wagon were Hells Revenge (bone stock, no side options) or 7 Mile Rim (lifted/37s, hit multiple options). Also wandered around Onion Creek, Potash Rd/Shafer Switchbacks, and Long Canyon.

Hardest I did with my Power Wagon were Hells Revenge (bone stock, no side options) or 7 Mile Rim (lifted/37s, hit multiple options). Also wandered around Onion Creek, Potash Rd/Shafer Switchbacks, and Long Canyon.

I’m not looking for hard trails but easy scenic trails that a novice can hit in our beasts

Back