Can someone explain the passenger mirror to me?

overland

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
It took me a while to figure out that the passenger upper mirror was actually magnified vs flat or convex as in every other vehicle on the planet. For two weeks now I’ve thought I was crazy that everything looked bigger in it.

This is my first super duty, so can someone explain the reasoning for the magnified mirror and how I’m supposed to use it properly? If I try using the upper part as a blind spot mirror, I’m just looking at someone’s headlight, and if I try using it as a distance mirror or to see the side of the truck or trailer, the field of view is too narrow to be of much use. Regardless, it’s difficult for me to just glance over and understand what I’m looking at - it takes my brain a bit to figure it out.

And the ultimate question: does anyone make an after market replacement that doesn’t hurt my brain?

Its really just meant for towing...that way you can magnify an area to see around/behind a trailer. Give it time, your brain will readjust to using the smaller mirror below... in traffic situations though the magnifier mirror is helpful.

It took me a while to figure out that the passenger upper mirror was actually magnified vs flat or convex as in every other vehicle on the planet. For two weeks now I’ve thought I was crazy that everything looked bigger in it.

This is my first super duty, so can someone explain the reasoning for the magnified mirror and how I’m supposed to use it properly? If I try using the upper part as a blind spot mirror, I’m just looking at someone’s headlight, and if I try using it as a distance mirror or to see the side of the truck or trailer, the field of view is too narrow to be of much use. Regardless, it’s difficult for me to just glance over and understand what I’m looking at - it takes my brain a bit to figure it out.

And the ultimate question: does anyone make an after market replacement that doesn’t hurt my brain?
It drives me crazy. And all the aftermarket manufacturers that make ford replica mirrors did the same claiming thats what OEM does. Not sure if the other OEM brands do this or not but i have just learned to use the bottom convex mirror for all my daily driving and only use the top ones when a trailer is on.

I use the top passenger mirror for seeing farther behind. For example; if I’m in the passing lane I can see down the whole right lane for quite a distance. I use the smaller passenger convex mirror for blind spot and knowing where my back tires are for backing up and going around corners etc.

I use the top passenger mirror for seeing farther behind. For example; if I’m in the passing lane I can see down the whole right lane for quite a distance. I use the smaller passenger convex mirror for blind spot and knowing where my back tires are for backing up and going around corners etc.
Same here! In fact, I use both the driver and passenger mirrors this way.

I could be wrong, but every vehicle I’ve driven in modern times has had the similar mirror on the passenger side, sometimes with a subtle note saying “objects appear larger than they are” or something like that. I think it’s just standard these days.

I could be wrong, but every vehicle I’ve driven in modern times has had the similar mirror on the passenger side, sometimes with a subtle note saying “objects appear larger than they are” or something like that. I think it’s just standard these days.
All six of my vehicles are equipped with these "magnified" mirrors.

pretty sure it's usually the reverse of that. Every car I've driven for the past few decades has a concave mirror (not convex) and the message "objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 8.35.08 AM.jpg

For reference:

Concave = curved inward, narrower field of view, magnified, Super Duty
Convex = curved outward, wider field of view, objects in mirror are closer than they appear, every other vehicle

It takes some getting used to, but I prefer both side mirrors to have the same net magnification to the driver. This means objects appear the same size in both mirrors. When you're towing, it's hugely beneficial, and once you get used to it the old style car mirrors are super annoying. The reason why car mirrors have objects closer than they appear is because they don't factor in the distance between the driver and the mirror.

I use the top mirrors for looking behind me and the bottom convex mirrors for blind spot and rear wheel tracking for parking. Works really well.

This is how I'm doing it as well. It works well for the driver side, but only so-so for the passenger. If the passenger top mirror were slightly convex, then it would be give a broader field of view and imo would be perfect.

I'm guessing from the posts here, that the magnified mirror is perfect for one specific purpose; i.e., judging distance while backing up a trailer (that doesn't have a rear camera?). But if you don't need that (🙋‍♂️), then it's much less useful for anything else. I just wish someone made an after market replacement for those who'd prefer it.

It takes some getting used to, but I prefer both side mirrors to have the same net magnification to the driver. This means objects appear the same size in both mirrors.
That's not the case with mine though. Maybe they changed it in 23-24? But if I look at the same object in all three mirrors, it's noticeably larger in the passenger side.

Maybe I can see if I can photograph it somehow.

Just your daily reminder that these trucks were built to work and tow, more so than to drive to Starbucks and Target.

I love the magnifier mirror. It allows me to zoom in on my trailer tires and watch for a blowout, or for the trailer brakes locking up.

You have the convex mirror at the bottom that does an outstanding job of showing your surroundings if you are looking for a "zoomed out" view.

I love the mirrors. I call it out as one of the things I miss most when behind the wheel of other vehicles - I can’t see much of anything in tiny mirrors and I have to turn my head to check blind spots!

I totally understand the OP!
I’ve been towing boats, travel trailers, 5th wheels and enclosed cargo trailers up to 35’ long since I was 14 and taught to always rely on my exterior mirrors and fish eyes.
I haven’t noticed the magnification feature as mentioned on my Tremor, but I have experienced the brain power of compensating for vision changes.
My best example is when we were shopping for a new 75” big screen 4K HD at Costco. Every one of the screens were showing a bright light shining down on the top of the actors heads! It was strange to us and figured that it was an HD “thing”!
When the tv was delivered and installed we immediately noticed it again and figured that’s the way they were. But after a short time we no longer noticed the bright light shining down phenomenon. I’m sure there is a technical term for this, but I’m not “tuned in” to that high tech stuff!😂

So either my brain has already compensated for the magnified mirror or my Tremor doesn’t have that feature?

And I thought I had every option on it except for that big glass hole in the roof! 😳🤪😂

Yep. I had that just the opposite of what I was trying to say. My apologies and thanks for clearing the concave vs. convex up for me and thee!

Just your daily reminder that these trucks were built to work and tow, more so than to drive to Starbucks and Target.

I love the magnifier mirror. It allows me to zoom in on my trailer tires and watch for a blowout, or for the trailer brakes locking up.

You have the convex mirror at the bottom that does an outstanding job of showing your surroundings if you are looking for a "zoomed out" view.
Totally understand your point. That being said, I actually get a better view of my trailer tires from my upper driver side tow mirror in comparison to the zoomed in one since the zoomed in one has to be turned super far down to even see the tires (then you lose views of the upper part of the trailer). Sounds like for alot of people it is just a difference of opinion or maybe their settings on the mirrors.

I use mine the same way & love these mirrors.
I love them so much I had a buddy who ordered an F-150 add the super duty mirrors to his build.

I’m in the same boat as OP as my previous vehicle did not have the magnified mirror. About shit myself driving home from the dealer, coming back to the right lane after passing and thought I was going to pit myself. After a month I’ve gotten used to it. Would like if the bottom mirrors were a little bigger but they work.

Back