Can a 7.3 handle a Northern Lite Camper 2800 Dry/3800 Wet? - Found one and ready to buy

oursomedayisnow

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
Army Airborne
Current Ride
2020 F350 Tremor 7.3
Current Ride #2
Looking for the next one…again
Need your comments ASAP. We're headed back to Ford Tomorrow. We've had 2 2017 SD's with 6.7 Diesel previously. We were towing big 5th's at the time. This time we're going Truck Camper. We'd really like to go "GODZILLA" this time, just want to make sure from your experience this will handle it ok. (we hate underpowered anything) We travel in the west from the Pacific Ocean to Arizona to Montana, plenty of grades. The model we're looking at has the following.
Tremor Pkg
Lariat Sport Pkg
Lariat Value Pkg
4.30 Locker

Thanks, Paul

Yes in the 350. The 250 is legal up to a little over 3k lbs in some configs.
250 7.3 can haul it easily, it just won’t be legal.

Yes in the 350. The 250 is legal up to a little over 3k lbs in some configs.
250 7.3 can haul it easily, it just won’t be legal.
Are you speaking from having actual payloads in your truck? I really want to avoid all that DEF CRAP If I can, I know the 6.7 can haul ass with 4K in the bed.

Yes check the last link. If you are overweight and someone hits you, you could be stuck with the bill to repair as you would not be legal on the street. At least how it was explained to me.
Towing 16k lbs
17k lbs 5th wheel up the ike gauntlet at elevation.
Good information here

Yes check the last link. If you are overweight and someone hits you, you could be stuck with the bill to repair as you would not be legal on the street. At least how it was explained to me.
Towing 16k lbs
17k lbs 5th wheel up the ike gauntlet at elevation.
Good information here
Thanks, the one we're looking at has a 3850 payload, so we're within spec, and legal, my real question was about POWER, will it strain, or cruise right up grades.

The 7.3 won't have any issues what so ever.
The only number that will matter will be payload and each truck will vary some depending on trim package.

Payload will be on door sticker.

I would be tempted to look at a long box 350, I know that eliminates the tremor but you can get a bigger camper, more payload, and bigger gas tank.

I went to the scales with a 1,600 lb camper (dry) and 900+ lbs on the hitch from a 9k trailer and I was within max payload, but my rear axle was over the weight rating on the sticker. Plenty of power for the hills, rear suspension upgrades recommended. 5th and 6th gear going up the passes at 70mph. Be ready for DTE after a fill-up to be less then 300 at times.

I don't think I'd worry about the power at all (See IKE referenced above). The payload and suspension issue will be your main battle. Keep us updated if you do go ahead with it. I've got my eye on a couple different campers but would like some more real world info on how the suspension handles the weight of the bigger ones.

Keep in mind that at "3800lbs wet" as you say in your title, I think you're still going to be overweight by they time you add in passengers and the dog and all the other gear that doesn't get factored in to the listed weights

Not An Issue with the 7.3. I have been as much as 12,200 lbs GVW in mine with my Cirrus 820 all over passes higher than the Ike. No problems with power, I am usually passing guys pulling the big 5th wheels
51FC4CAD-36AD-4EC6-BF9E-81E17D3DE859.jpeg
BE3E4089-72D6-4292-AE17-5C89EA70ACC4.jpeg

Cottonwood and Independence Pass make the Ike look like the Jersey Parkway.

Also been over Wolf Creek, Teton, Monarch and Berthoud Passes with ease. All while getting 11 mpg.

I would be tempted to look at a long box 350, I know that eliminates the tremor but you can get a bigger camper, more payload, and bigger gas tank.
Thanks, we're sticking with a short box. I think after driving one today, we'll be fine, feels like a diesel, sounds like a big block!

I don't think I'd worry about the power at all (See IKE referenced above). The payload and suspension issue will be your main battle. Keep us updated if you do go ahead with it. I've got my eye on a couple different campers but would like some more real world info on how the suspension handles the weight of the bigger ones.

Keep in mind that at "3800lbs wet" as you say in your title, I think you're still going to be overweight by they time you add in passengers and the dog and all the other gear that doesn't get factored in to the listed weights
I added a thousand lbs to dry, probably will be less

I went to the scales with a 1,600 lb camper (dry) and 900+ lbs on the hitch from a 9k trailer and I was within max payload, but my rear axle was over the weight rating on the sticker. Plenty of power for the hills, rear suspension upgrades recommended. 5th and 6th gear going up the passes at 70mph. Be ready for DTE after a fill-up to be less then 300 at times.
I can feel the sway even without a camper. We'll get a sway bar or something to fix that part, we're picking it up right now. Hope it can get 11 MPG...lol

Diesel guys, am I reading this wrong or are you taking a payload penalty of 463 lbs?
EFA392AA-4B0B-4E43-A437-7BFE3967F4CE.jpeg

Page 12 2020 Super Duty Pickup/Camper Combination Selector, note 6 is the Tremor

Attachments

• 2020-Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 35
Diesel guys, am I reading this wrong or are you taking a payload penalty of 463 lbs?
View attachment 5372
Page 12 2020 Super Duty Pickup/Camper Combination Selector, note 6 is the Tremor
Noticed that when doing homework, I need the extra payload, so the 7.3 works best for me

Back