Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

Thank you. I like ARE Z series (looks/style/features) as this will be my 3rd one, however everyone I got has had problems initially and had to go back, my '05 went back 3 times for issues when new and my '15 they could never match the magnetic paint correctly (2 times back). I bitched till they gave me a $500.00 paint credit and took it to my local body shop, who guess what? matched the paint perfectly. It is frustrating because I never had a problem with them after these initial problems. Like you said these things are not cheap! If it comes back this time with a problem, I am done and going to try a different manufacture.

Yeah, your welcome, you bet. They pump these toppers out like a pop tart bakery. My dealer has (4) on order. And it seems that quality control pushes units out the door to the vendors and let them handle the cosmetic and fit issues. Smart thinking on the paint credit and holding your dealer accountable. I hold back final payment until I am 100% happy.
By my second topper purchase like you I learned a few things. Inspect inspect, and inspect finish and fit and install.
I am sure the employee turn over at ARE the manufacturing plant is an issue. Can’t even imagine...

Last edited:
cadcam1 not a topper expert here and not a topper snob..lol..but there is usually a reason your paying $500 less - paint, fit and finish?
I think you would be happier with the ARE MX. If you order new, it’s anywhere from a 6-10 week wait depending on where you live. Good luck with your choice. I have a long time good friend in Georgia who is a Leer dealer. When I called and asked him about Leer vs ARE he said he would buy an ARE for his own personal truck. He told me Leer has been bought and sold a few times and the quality fit and finish are no longer as good as ARE. He would know and he is no b.s. Bottom line is what ever you buy inspect it before you pay up and make dam sure it is installed correctly. Take it to a bushless laser car wash after install and make sure it does not leak. Leaks are a no go for the $$$$ spent on toppers.
FWIW.
Exactly what I am thinking
Thank you for your opinion!!!
The dealers son has the cap on his truck, they sold both Leer and ARE, and he told me they love ARE so much better for fit and finish !!
fyi great thinking on car wash !! DONE
Will go order it tonight
Thank you again !!
Chris

Yeah, your welcome, you bet. They pump these toppers out like a pop tart bakery. My dealer has (4) on order. And it seems that quality control pushes units out the door to the vendors and let them handle the cosmetic and fit issues. Smart thinking on the paint credit and holding your dealer accountable. I hold back final payment until I am 100% happy.
By my second topper purchase like you I learned a few things. Inspect inspect, and inspect finish and fit and install.
I am sure the employee turn over at ARE the manufacturing plant is an issue. Can’t even imagine...
Fyi
ARE dealer is a all truck cap specialty shop, most work is utility work truck set ups with tool boxes !!! and 2 miles from work !! All win win

Leer XL, it had a couple issues at delivery but Leer has been outstanding to work with on taking care of the issue. Probably the best quality I’ve seen on a camper shell.
34CF8B34-F37F-45A8-82F2-FECADFA4AD2D.jpeg
AD5B06F3-F998-44AE-8BD3-B399272EACE9.jpeg
D833B7FF-F58B-4A77-B106-50839F01289A.jpeg
34CF8B34-F37F-45A8-82F2-FECADFA4AD2D.jpeg

Leer XL, it had a couple issues at delivery but Leer has been outstanding to work with on taking care of the issue. Probably the best quality I’ve seen on a camper shell. View attachment 7068View attachment 7069View attachment 7070View attachment 7068
I will probably try LEER if my ARE is not correct. My dealer sells both and in there opinion/experience ARE is better. They have not had a paint issues with a new ARE Z series in a year, so just my luck I guess.

Guess what showed up today? My cap is back, get's installed next week. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I was looking at the A.R.E. model Z and CX. I wanted the swing open side "windoors" for easier access in the bed which the Z didn't come as an option on. I also wanted the remote unlock which the CX didn't come with. The dealer also said the Z is going to be phased out for the new CX REVO and CX EVOLVE models. They are only released for the F150 and haven't released one for the F250 yet. I went with the SnugTop (only have dealers on the west coast and midwest) for those features, plus their Sportsman package holds 500lbs on the roof like I'd seen on the CX HD for if I want to add a Yakima box or roof tent.

I was looking at the A.R.E. model Z and CX. I wanted the swing open side "windoors" for easier access in the bed which the Z didn't come as an option on. I also wanted the remote unlock which the CX didn't come with. The dealer also said the Z is going to be phased out for the new CX REVO and CX EVOLVE models. They are only released for the F150 and haven't released one for the F250 yet. I went with the SnugTop (only have dealers on the west coast and midwest) for those features, plus their Sportsman package holds 500lbs on the roof like I'd seen on the CX HD for if I want to add a Yakima box or roof tent.

ARE CX Revo - F250

All installed & looks awesome. ARE repainted the entire cap and made it right.

Attachments

• CC7D115C-D9D2-497E-9BF7-600065CE16ED.jpeg
    CC7D115C-D9D2-497E-9BF7-600065CE16ED.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 7F37C288-C846-41C8-A5B0-0309A368E495.jpeg
    7F37C288-C846-41C8-A5B0-0309A368E495.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 556
  • B60D1080-3DDA-403B-923A-13ADC83E3BFA.jpeg
    B60D1080-3DDA-403B-923A-13ADC83E3BFA.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 521
  • 77264426-3213-4F13-98C2-A19C96D331E8.jpeg
    77264426-3213-4F13-98C2-A19C96D331E8.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 567
  • E4EBA7DF-1B92-417A-A4E6-12808FDD185A.jpeg
    E4EBA7DF-1B92-417A-A4E6-12808FDD185A.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 590
All installed & looks awesome. ARE repainted the entire cap and made it right.

Looks fantastic! Congrats! Did the installers give plenty of clearance between the painted bed rail and the camper shell to ensure zero paint rub on the bed rail? You should have at least 1/8” gap so that there is no paint rub. Congrats again it looks perfect!

Looks fantastic! Congrats! Did the installers give plenty of clearance between the painted bed rail and the camper shell to ensure zero paint rub on the bed rail? You should have at least 1/8” gap so that there is no paint rub. Congrats again it looks perfect!
Yes I checked it totally over, should be no problem with rub. I don't think I could adjust it any more perfect. Thank you.

Latest Discussions

Back