Camper Shell Options for Super Duty Tremor

Those pop ups are rad. My buddy lives in Bend, Oregon and uses his year round, snowboarding at Mt Bachelor, camping all over the Cascades and out at the coast in the summer.

Once I got home last night I noticed a couple issues with the SnugTop. The most glaring issue is the that the rear lip on the window blocks part of the rear view camera, and that same lip is off from one side to another. Come on, SnugTop, do your homework! On the screen inside, it blocks the top inch or so. Its a safety issue.

daMO1vNMgZS51ZUda-l6DrRHBlr4G29wIYEiVrNBDyvriMzjvjzxU5gzdKD7ROXPNfKYGBjvL9cvH0DGxmz2Q76kLmRgfuVZ32f13l-dV09BCfEPtmfLBXO3nThhZ9TP0rAtodLvy-iiO32pCyzE59hN3e9upo6Iml6tPl-2IGoLxQnw5ZMHbdS8RDlz9Xr7Kaz9SSWwSE7VpKgMGxh8YSjNrDTyBcEZGvIcJmY7BrDLNleh359t18JOir70juxuVrs0TU38FYO1hvXobKg2AykPALOCDv_649CLDvMsEObtaDKShkdxAr770jjM16PCZ72j1W2FzOpSiTKZ-XWKkvCnh32OZXxXCyOSgjZpEswUTLt5r0YXTbkKjpOkdEXwJKuJQiClXxGm0rGoB0vHojvIygraS1fbWVCUH2aWi5qmsfrAobkZzFMXi0hokoyxQZUHB1LSm5TAs1vPJp6wBVrNuGP3-4aRmhxsz0B-ju-eCdt_SpW_l6lAjR4b750bP00u-Spx66EZcRs6d515MdAHpt-KNlka0CZyr_b2EuYXV0WInxtuDl9U1Ut0gYE7ympqfmJLLN-EW2V5d0s_watgNSPSXpQvkS8_GIH7a3vJPpU5PLlgAiqmkSY4IxEI_r_eUyOUCAGjrxx_uL9ZBwVger9Q3C0b1Uzrds71q536Z5OF5jTCwI6WBy2lnw=w1364-h767-no

Here is a shot looking up at the lip. This is my 3rd SnugTop. I've had Rebel and a Super Sport before, never had problems like this. Very disappointed.
73WmM2rVBOXmR0Jr9JUWvUgZ4p4qXhi9viR6qjtkUXCTKEwYF6DoN2IPfK5wPFEJi3ovgK5_pyEkLbKWQ5TTBbE4-s6v8xO0Yv7vBrttnaI4szmzf-L2GBI2r-t6IUVOv5zSGVvruSkR2qTL23Ybkr9CtpDl-4OHPtvNGPGi5vxo_tR1mbDSHR6fgN5RE0XK10ASz3jY_ANrIpNqAJ20sNZ_bpCSYXu8yGke8oy_ENRGpci5oo0KQZOA8_F-ptcBRV6B-iI3PX1An4RS56Zhl91-CBOwnMeiaJWxkne0Ucrji5WtsodZy6ZtM2IKQXFukdlWsRDEx6Dou2vvmrdTNEUj3Iv11TXNShHdjTWyCweQF4r6D7_fq4qI97yBTJ8xIafrl5riQOnr2IbfqtX_BHNAuKMv68u8Ank98BxjJpWraC61kbvfQvac92Ylx22yzMUWIrOgEyyKV6yiUs7wfORuD5Os2VaKYzw6fxKfRzaYzWP4Jdt9MWQMyKo8td1gVaE8LQFo7j5kSTau08_rQobMxshL4R0buTpiwBq4NIxgfaNbLCcXZU1r_9XfhM_03XzhtzMxJG8TosGn0nzILW3D_xzRFx_zFJ6RTJKdJIEz8pNq5B8GzrUTLbfD5FiCXoBSlVLyZstsSb0lDDRAAIant1B2ymT-6yGycfq08L6w6TcRb67OamzAjadRGQ=w1364-h767-no

Once I got home last night I noticed a couple issues with the SnugTop. The most glaring issue is the that the rear lip on the window blocks part of the rear view camera, and that same lip is off from one side to another. Come on, SnugTop, do your homework! On the screen inside, it blocks the top inch or so. Its a safety issue.

daMO1vNMgZS51ZUda-l6DrRHBlr4G29wIYEiVrNBDyvriMzjvjzxU5gzdKD7ROXPNfKYGBjvL9cvH0DGxmz2Q76kLmRgfuVZ32f13l-dV09BCfEPtmfLBXO3nThhZ9TP0rAtodLvy-iiO32pCyzE59hN3e9upo6Iml6tPl-2IGoLxQnw5ZMHbdS8RDlz9Xr7Kaz9SSWwSE7VpKgMGxh8YSjNrDTyBcEZGvIcJmY7BrDLNleh359t18JOir70juxuVrs0TU38FYO1hvXobKg2AykPALOCDv_649CLDvMsEObtaDKShkdxAr770jjM16PCZ72j1W2FzOpSiTKZ-XWKkvCnh32OZXxXCyOSgjZpEswUTLt5r0YXTbkKjpOkdEXwJKuJQiClXxGm0rGoB0vHojvIygraS1fbWVCUH2aWi5qmsfrAobkZzFMXi0hokoyxQZUHB1LSm5TAs1vPJp6wBVrNuGP3-4aRmhxsz0B-ju-eCdt_SpW_l6lAjR4b750bP00u-Spx66EZcRs6d515MdAHpt-KNlka0CZyr_b2EuYXV0WInxtuDl9U1Ut0gYE7ympqfmJLLN-EW2V5d0s_watgNSPSXpQvkS8_GIH7a3vJPpU5PLlgAiqmkSY4IxEI_r_eUyOUCAGjrxx_uL9ZBwVger9Q3C0b1Uzrds71q536Z5OF5jTCwI6WBy2lnw=w1364-h767-no

Here is a shot looking up at the lip. This is my 3rd SnugTop. I've had Rebel and a Super Sport before, never had problems like this. Very disappointed.
73WmM2rVBOXmR0Jr9JUWvUgZ4p4qXhi9viR6qjtkUXCTKEwYF6DoN2IPfK5wPFEJi3ovgK5_pyEkLbKWQ5TTBbE4-s6v8xO0Yv7vBrttnaI4szmzf-L2GBI2r-t6IUVOv5zSGVvruSkR2qTL23Ybkr9CtpDl-4OHPtvNGPGi5vxo_tR1mbDSHR6fgN5RE0XK10ASz3jY_ANrIpNqAJ20sNZ_bpCSYXu8yGke8oy_ENRGpci5oo0KQZOA8_F-ptcBRV6B-iI3PX1An4RS56Zhl91-CBOwnMeiaJWxkne0Ucrji5WtsodZy6ZtM2IKQXFukdlWsRDEx6Dou2vvmrdTNEUj3Iv11TXNShHdjTWyCweQF4r6D7_fq4qI97yBTJ8xIafrl5riQOnr2IbfqtX_BHNAuKMv68u8Ank98BxjJpWraC61kbvfQvac92Ylx22yzMUWIrOgEyyKV6yiUs7wfORuD5Os2VaKYzw6fxKfRzaYzWP4Jdt9MWQMyKo8td1gVaE8LQFo7j5kSTau08_rQobMxshL4R0buTpiwBq4NIxgfaNbLCcXZU1r_9XfhM_03XzhtzMxJG8TosGn0nzILW3D_xzRFx_zFJ6RTJKdJIEz8pNq5B8GzrUTLbfD5FiCXoBSlVLyZstsSb0lDDRAAIant1B2ymT-6yGycfq08L6w6TcRb67OamzAjadRGQ=w1364-h767-no
That sucks, Just ordered an ARE overland in Puyallup, they said its up to 8 week for delivery ..

Rona, I hear you, I ordered a ARE Z series, 5 weeks still not in.

I'm ordering a Four Wheel Camper Hawk pop-up truck camper as we are planning on doing lots of overlanding. The Shell trim allows us the option to sleep in the bottom portion without popping up if we need to be less obvious/more stealth.

YouTube Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell overview

View attachment 3657
[/QUOT
I'm ordering a Four Wheel Camper Hawk pop-up truck camper as we are planning on doing lots of overlanding. The Shell trim allows us the option to sleep in the bottom portion without popping up if we need to be less obvious/more stealth.

YouTube Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell overview

View attachment 3657

Price seems kind of high to me considering how much more space you can get in a travel trailer for same money....obviously this makes more areas accessible than a trailer, but ~20K seems steep for something so basic. I must be missing something.

Bumping this up to the top. Anyone else have pics of a camper shell on their Tremor? I have a Black Platinum on order and thinking about a Leer XR. Any comments about backup assist? Thanks

My ARE Z series is finally in (After 7 weeks) and gets installed next week. Will post some pictures as soon as it gets installed. I have not heard of any problems with backup assist. The only thing is that the 3rd brake light camera becomes useless with with the cap on, but I haven't had to use that view since I bought the truck.

I don’t use backup assist but I can’t figure out how it would be affected by a canopy.

I was thinking that because a canopy blocks one of the cameras that's supposed to provide the 360 degree camera system and trailer reverse guidance, that essentially either removing or placing one of the cameras elsewhere would possibly be an issue. This is what I am trying to figure out.

My ARE Z series is finally in (After 7 weeks) and gets installed next week. Will post some pictures as soon as it gets installed. I have not heard of any problems with backup assist. The only thing is that the 3rd brake light camera becomes useless with with the cap on, but I haven't had to use that view since I bought the truck.

Grabber - How is the fit, finish and install on your ARE Z? Any issues with the paint rub between the bottom of the topper on the bed rails? I have one on order. Any photos of fit and finish? My dealer said there will be zero paint rub when my topper is installed. He has been spot on with the last (2) I have purchased.
Thanks!
Ordered this upgraded seal for toppers weighing in over 200#. The foam shops use flattens out. This is about the best you can buy.
5385F902-5F2A-4CF3-981C-CC9C3A95D6FF.png

Last edited:
Has anyone purchased a Jeraco truck cap, prices are reasonable ? Have priced out ARE, LEER and Jeraco for a Mid rise and they are about $500 less
Thanks for any sugestions, sterling towards ARE MX

Grabber - How is the fit, finish and install on your ARE Z? Any issues with the paint rub between the bottom of the topper on the bed rails? I have one on order. Any photos of fit and finish? My dealer said there will be zero paint rub when my topper is installed. He has been spot on with the last (2) I have purchased.
Thanks!
Ordered this upgraded seal for toppers weighing in over 200#. The foam shops use flattens out. This is about the best you can buy.
View attachment 5489
My Z series was damaged and had to go back to the factory. It looked like they burnt through the clear coat in a couple of spots with a buffer, so I am still waiting for it to come back.

My Z series was damaged and had to go back to the factory. It looked like they burnt through the clear coat in a couple of spots with a buffer, so I am still waiting for it to come back.
Grabber- Sorry to hear this. Mine is due in the 24th of Oct I will be inspecting every inch before and after install. This will be my second ARE Z and third ARE topper I have owned. After I inspect the topper before install, I will speak with the installer(s) and let them know my expectations of clearance tolerances so that there is a proper fit and zero paint rub on the truck bed rails. I am not an ass about it, but I can tell you that I make sure that attention to detail is critical by the installer. (needless to say, but a poor install is a no go) Most importantly I do not settle up on final payment until I 100% satisfied with the topper appearance and install.
ARE Z‘s are fine toppers IMO, and ARE charges a premium. So I think it’s fair to expect a premium product and a expert premium install. I would have done the same thing - good call - send it back.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:
Has anyone purchased a Jeraco truck cap, prices are reasonable ? Have priced out ARE, LEER and Jeraco for a Mid rise and they are about $500 less
Thanks for any sugestions, sterling towards ARE MX

cadcam1 not a topper expert here and not a topper snob..lol..but there is usually a reason your paying $500 less - paint, fit and finish?
I think you would be happier with the ARE MX. If you order new, it’s anywhere from a 6-10 week wait depending on where you live. Good luck with your choice. I have a long time good friend in Georgia who is a Leer dealer. When I called and asked him about Leer vs ARE he said he would buy an ARE for his own personal truck. He told me Leer has been bought and sold a few times and the quality fit and finish are no longer as good as ARE. He would know and he is no b.s. Bottom line is what ever you buy inspect it before you pay up and make dam sure it is installed correctly. Take it to a bushless laser car wash after install and make sure it does not leak. Leaks are a no go for the $$$$ spent on toppers.
FWIW.

Last edited:
Thank you. I like ARE Z series (looks/style/features) as this will be my 3rd one, however everyone I got has had problems initially and had to go back, my '05 went back 3 times for issues when new and my '15 they could never match the magnetic paint correctly (2 times back). I bitched till they gave me a $500.00 paint credit and took it to my local body shop, who guess what? matched the paint perfectly. It is frustrating because I never had a problem with them after these initial problems. Like you said these things are not cheap! If it comes back this time with a problem, I am done and going to try a different manufacture.

Back