Camper Purchasing

Bill_D

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021F250 6.7L
I'm considering purchasing a camper for the first time. For those of you who have experience, what are the most important factors when shopping? Dealer locations, manufacturing process and materials, warranty, or something else entirely?

Certainly the manufacturer's reputation which is a function of their processes and QC. QC is a dirty word in the RV world. We bought our first travel trailer after doing years of research. Spending big bucks is no guarantee of quality but going cheap almost certainly means cheap materials and build quality. We got an Outdoors RV 21RWS. They're a small company in Eastern Oregon with a good reputation. They're not cheap but then they're not Airstream pricey either. They only make TTs and not a lot of them. We had a couple of issues with ours but our dealer handled them pretty quickly and it's been smooth sailing since.

I would advise you to also look at Lance. Their interiors are nicer but ORV generally appeals to the boondock crowd. Ours has 100 gallons of fresh, 54 gal gray, 46 gal black, 80 lbs LP, 340 watts of solar, an Onan Cummins genny, and a really beefy suspension. We can boondock for weeks!

Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse!

Last edited:
Right, we didn't clarify 'camper'. For truck campers, which we were going to do, my short list was Arctic Fox, Lance, Cirrus, Eagle Cap, Northern Lite, and Host. A Host requires an F450 or 550! They're immense but you can live in them!

This was gonna be my Host setup...but on a F550.

Attachments

• DDBB73D1-CB54-4A53-922B-30EA06612E6C.jpeg
    DDBB73D1-CB54-4A53-922B-30EA06612E6C.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Right, we didn't clarify 'camper'. For truck campers, which we were going to do, my short list was Arctic Fox, Lance, Cirrus, Eagle Cap, Northern Lite, and Host. A Host requires an F450 or 550! They're immense but you can live in them!

This was gonna be my Host setup...but on a F550.
Sure. That’s what I think of too when someone says “camper”. It’s actually reason #1 I’m buying a Super Duty.

Manufacturing process and materials are the most important me. You get what you pay for. I spent the extra money for an aluminum structure with fiberglass siding. I would go to a reputable dealer and take a look at different build options and price point. Obviously size and layout all depend on what you want/need. I sold my C-5500 RV for a much smaller tow behind camper last summer. I didn't want to be handcuffed to RV parks and easily accessible camp sites. Camping to me is getting off the beaten path. That was very hard to do with a 32 footer with low clearance. I don't have kids yet; just me, the lady and two dogs. The Geo Pro 15TB fit the bill. It's tiny but super capable because of the decent ground clearance and good entry/exit angle because of it's small size and "lift." I plan to upgrade to an axel-less trailer suspension system this spring to make it even more capable. But at the end of the day, it's all up to you and what you want out of your camper.

By “camper” do you mean travel trailer, fifth wheel or slide-in cabover?
My bad, some type of towable. We're pretty open to all types at this point, but I'm leaning towards toy-hauler. I like the layouts and the extras you get with a toy hauler. I like the back deck you get and it seems like most have an extra bathroom, which is nice. With the Tremor, we can look at both TT and 5er's so it gives us lots of options. Our main use would primarily be visiting friends, family and finding some new adventures. My wife is not exactly "rustic", so boondocking or getting off the grid is probably not in our immediate future.

Some of the root for my questions surrounds the different options available. My favorite layout right now is Heartland Cyclone 3413. I also like the KZ Sportster 353TH13. But the KZ is lighter and cheaper, which usually means lower quality. The Black Series really appeal to me with their build quality, but there comes the dealer availability problem. If something breaks that I can't fix, there's like 10 places in the states to take it.

Manufacturing process and materials are the most important me. You get what you pay for. I spent the extra money for an aluminum structure with fiberglass siding. I would go to a reputable dealer and take a look at different build options and price point. Obviously size and layout all depend on what you want/need. I sold my C-5500 RV for a much smaller tow behind camper last summer. I didn't want to be handcuffed to RV parks and easily accessible camp sites. Camping to me is getting off the beaten path. That was very hard to do with a 32 footer with low clearance. I don't have kids yet; just me, the lady and two dogs. The Geo Pro 15TB fit the bill. It's tiny but super capable because of the decent ground clearance and good entry/exit angle because of it's small size and "lift." I plan to upgrade to an axel-less trailer suspension system this spring to make it even more capable. But at the end of the day, it's all up to you and what you want out of your camper.
Disregard that. Thought you were talking about tow behinds. For truck campers the Four Wheel Campers are pretty sweet. I have a buddy who has one. I like that they pop up and down so you don't have a huge sail sticking up from your truck when you are underway but with that you lose a lot a livable space.

I'm considering purchasing a camper for the first time. For those of you who have experience, what are the most important factors when shopping? Dealer locations, manufacturing process and materials, warranty, or something else entirely?
Bill, a travel trailer with a slide out is the way to go. Jayco makes some economical tt’s and Grand Designs has some with additional features such as extra storage, led lighting and usb outlets all over. We owned a 2015 Jayco for 6 years and we never had any issues we just upgraded to a 2021 Grand Designs Imagine with a slide out we have more space and storage. Keep in mind that many dealers are experiencing inventory shortages during this time so start looking. Good Luck.

JB in South Texas

"The Black Series really appeal to me with their build quality, but there comes the dealer availability problem. If something breaks that I can't fix, there's like 10 places in the states to take it."

Plus they're made in China.

It probably doesn't count as the most important thing, but others are covering that pretty well. Don't buy it without actually laying on the bed. They have two different queen size beds and one is very small. Also,if you get an actual queen size bed then you can just buy a regular mattress that you like. It's one thing to be uncomfortable in a tent but much more disappointing to spend a bunch of money on a mobile house and still be uncomfortable.

We have a small toy hauler and we love it. I c an just barely get my side by side in it and then when we set up camp, it feels like a big trailer because that garage space is empty. Its a Rage`n and I would recommend them but you would have to buy used because they aren't made anymore.

None of the above. Make you and your needs top priority. What kind of camping do you think you will enjoy. KOA or remote mountain top? What physical limitations do yoiu have? Limitations like age or an Aversion to heat or cold? Do you want to Camp once a week year round or a few times in the summer? What can you realistically afforded along with a Tremor, Then with your needs and priorities listed you do your research. Important to remember if this is your first it will most likely not be the best choice so be prepared to loose a few bucks when you trade in or sell when your dream becomes more clear. I started with a VW Eurovan Van that I restored and sold to purchase a hard sided pop up camper. Then came along a forest fire and it got replaced by a fifth wheel that will be permenently parked on a mountain property. Finally, I am having built for my Tremor a four season off grid truck camper that Is most likely my dream camper. Good luck

Last edited:
Back