California SMOG Question

davidlgibbs

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 Tremor
Anyone with a newer SuperDuty with a diesel have to smog their truck at their second renewal after purchase? I bought my truck in December 2020, had to smog it to register it in CA (came from out of state but was new from the dealer). Renewed registration last year no issue. 2022 renewal has a requirement for a smog check. I thought we had the first 8 years free of smog?? Anyone know the explanation or should I spend an hour on hold with DMV to argue with them? If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with the fact that it is diesel and/or registered commercial.

I believe out-of-state purchases are every two years from the beginning. When we buy new vehicles in CA we start paying a yearly "smog abatement fee" on the registrations that allow us to wait eight years. I am not sure that applies to vehicles purchased out of state and brought in. CA likes to make it more difficult to purchase vehicles out of state...I just purchased a 5th wheel in Utah and had to pay cash because none of the credit unions would finance a vehicle purchased out of state.

Mine is a '21 purchased in CA, so we will see next year if I will need to smog it but I do not expect to until the full 8 years.

I believe out-of-state purchases are every two years from the beginning. When we buy new vehicles in CA we start paying a yearly "smog abatement fee" on the registrations that allow us to wait eight years. I am not sure that applies to vehicles purchased out of state and brought in. CA likes to make it more difficult to purchase vehicles out of state...I just purchased a 5th wheel in Utah and had to pay cash because none of the credit unions would finance a vehicle purchased out of state.
That makes sense. I read about the smog abatement fee, but I can't find last year's registration to see if it was on there. I'm guessing not. Good news is that I own a house in Imperial County and will change the registration to that county. No smog required in the valley until you sell.

it’s a difference between diesel and gas. this is from the CA DMV website:

If your vehicle is 8 years old or less, you do NOT have to have your vehicle smog checked every 2 years. Instead, you'll pay an annual $20 smog abatement fee for your first 8 years of registration. After these first 8 years, you will be subject to the regular smog check program.

The smog abatement fee does not apply to:

• Nonresident vehicles.
  • Diesel-powered vehicles model year 1998 and newer weighing under 14,000 lbs.
  • Specially constructed vehicles model year 1976 and newer.
These vehicles are still part of the biennial smog certification program and must be inspected every 2 years.

it’s a difference between diesel and gas. this is from the CA DMV website:

If your vehicle is 8 years old or less, you do NOT have to have your vehicle smog checked every 2 years. Instead, you'll pay an annual $20 smog abatement fee for your first 8 years of registration. After these first 8 years, you will be subject to the regular smog check program.

The smog abatement fee does not apply to:

• Nonresident vehicles.
  • Diesel-powered vehicles model year 1998 and newer weighing under 14,000 lbs.
  • Specially constructed vehicles model year 1976 and newer.
These vehicles are still part of the biennial smog certification program and must be inspected every 2 years.
Thank you - I don't know why I didn't find that while searching for answers. At least now I know and will just get it smogged. I wasn't looking forward to waiting on hold for an hour or two to have someone tell me this (or worse, not know why!).

That’s why I will never leave unless I retire part time in Mexico. I love the food, weather and outdoor opportunities here more than I care about politics.
55 years, Born & Raised, it was much more than just the Politics. You just have to adapt to the weather and outdoor opportunities of a different locale. Its all good...(y)

Man, I don't miss much from CA, but I sure do miss some good street tacos!
Since I moved to Missouri last year after being born and raised for 52 years in California, I miss the three F's.... Family, Friends and FOOD! Mexican food out here sucks, as does pretty much all other restaurants. No good street tacos to be found.😟

Since I moved to Missouri last year after being born and raised for 52 years in California, I miss the three F's.... Family, Friends and FOOD! Mexican food out here sucks, as does pretty much all other restaurants. No good street tacos to be found.😟
I can see that, but the Midwest is a great place to live, you’ll get acclimated to it here soon. Take up deer hunting, Missouri has some decent whitetail hunting. Plus nothing beats some venison.

Then a native born tells you about "...a great place for Mexican, they have fantastic food!" You smile and say "I'll have to try them" thinking, if you only knew...:ROFLMAO:

Great Mexican food is just one of those things you take for granted in Cali....

Last edited:
Then a native born tells you about "...a great place for Mexican, they have fantastic food!" You smile and say "I'll have to try them" thinking, if you only knew...:ROFLMAO:

Great Mexican food is just one of those things you take for granted in Cali....
That has actually happened since I moved here.

As stated above, diesel trucks do not get the 8 year grace period. I have a 20 and recently did my first one. Truck does not go onto the machine, it’s basically a visual inspection.

I'm afraid we have the delete folks and smoke blowers to thank for laws like this...As it goes with most things, the lowest common denominator makes rules necessary for the rest of us.

Wyoming is full. Don’t come here. :LOL::LOL:
Full of antelope and rabbits! 😂 Lived there several decades ago, may be coming back soon!

Full of antelope and rabbits! 😂 Lived there several decades ago, may be coming back soon!
I haven't seen too many rabbits. Lots of prairie dogs though.

Back