Cab Over Truck Campers

View attachment 43850View attachment 43851
I just picked this up. Lance 825 on f350, went with smaller lighter camper so I can tow the boat and the family with out pushing the payload. No signifcant sag or squat, but she rolls pretty good, I'm probably going to add a hedwig antiroll bar before summer.
Lance makes a damn nice rig. I've got a Lance 2375 TT

No question Lance is quality. I think the Cirrus edges them on tech and design. Lance travel trailers are really nice but not suited to boondocking in terms of suspension and clearance.

No question Lance is quality. I think the Cirrus edges them on tech and design. Lance travel trailers are really nice but not suited to boondocking in terms of suspension and clearance.
Yep, they definitely are a bit low slung (even with the factory lift)

Don't think you can order the camper package with the Tremor. I carry a 2800 lb. (dry weight) Northern Light Camper on F-350 Tremor and have only added lower Stableloads to the rear. They helped some, but still get plenty of sway. Adding Helwig Sway Bar would help. Avoid Airbags as they only work to level the load and interfere with how the suspension is designed to work (so I've read).
Not sure what you mean by the airbags interfere with how the suspension is designed to work. Do you have any details or a pointer?

@Loshad I really liked the Cirrus 820 on my 7.3L F350. It’s a quality camper that doesn’t look like it was designed in the 90’s. It rode very well with SumoSprings and a Hellwig rear sway bar.
852DE222-9727-4680-B778-3FC2FBFF51DC.jpeg
We looked at the Lance but it just didn’t do it for us. We eventually traded both camper and truck for a Black Series HQ19 and 6.7L Tremor.
73AED7EA-20D1-4384-AFAD-8B5FB5838127.jpeg
Another great Truck Camper is the Loki Basecamp.
We saw them at OverlandExpo and was really impressed. They showed us some photos of a flatbed version they are designing for an F550 Super Single that would be awesome.

Hi all, new to the forums and looking for some feedback.

I have a 2022 F350 7.3 Tremor with air bags installed and am in the process of purchasing a 2021 Adventurer 89RBS (pick it up tomorrow actually). The dry weight on this is 3,174 lbs (wet weight of 4,211 lbs assuming full fresh, propane tanks, hot water, etc. and around 500 lbs of stuff - I don't intend to drive around with fresh though given where we camp).

I've been reading a lot of posts here and while I know the truck can handle it, I also want to be thinking safety. Should I consider a sway bar or see how it feels first? Anything else to consider or just general feedback?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi all, new to the forums and looking for some feedback.

I have a 2022 F350 7.3 Tremor with air bags installed and am in the process of purchasing a 2021 Adventurer 89RBS (pick it up tomorrow actually). The dry weight on this is 3,174 lbs (wet weight of 4,211 lbs assuming full fresh, propane tanks, hot water, etc. and around 500 lbs of stuff - I don't intend to drive around with fresh though given where we camp).

I've been reading a lot of posts here and while I know the truck can handle it, I also want to be thinking safety. Should I consider a sway bar or see how it feels first? Anything else to consider or just general feedback?

Thanks all!
My F-350 Tremor handles my NL 811 truck camper just fine without a rear sway bar. Rather than using airbags I went with upper and lower stable loads. Mainly so that the weight on the camper remains on the factory springs. I've read that by transferring the load to the inside of the axle where the airbags are located actually increases the side-to-side sway. This makes sense to me since the weight is partially sitting on a narrower stance (airbags). I would suggest trying it without the rear sway bar and if you don't like the sway add the Big Wig Sway Bar. I've also read to start with minimal air in the bags. The more air you add the more sway you will get because it's unloading the truck springs. Aig Bags clearly help with keeping headlights from blinding oncoming vehicles.

My F-350 Tremor handles my NL 811 truck camper just fine without a rear sway bar. Rather than using airbags I went with upper and lower stable loads. Mainly so that the weight on the camper remains on the factory springs. I've read that by transferring the load to the inside of the axle where the airbags are located actually increases the side-to-side sway. This makes sense to me since the weight is partially sitting on a narrower stance (airbags). I would suggest trying it without the rear sway bar and if you don't like the sway add the Big Wig Sway Bar. I've also read to start with minimal air in the bags. The more air you add the more sway you will get because it's unloading the truck springs. Aig Bags clearly help with keeping headlights from blinding oncoming vehicles.
That's great to hear and what you said about the bags/springs makes perfect sense. This will be my first truck camper that I've owned, so of course we'll go through the entire class at the dealer to ensure everything is set up properly. I'll go with your recommendation and try to use as little air as possible to keep it on the springs more and see how it feels to go with a sway bar or not.

Thanks for the info!

Just picked up my new 22' F-250 Tremor and put a deposit on a Scout Kenai Camper. For starters we are planning on Firestone Airbags, and Hellwig rear stabilizer.

I would be curious if anyone had ideas/experience around tie down points for the truck bed floor for slide ins?

Thanks, appreciate it!

Just picked up my new 22' F-250 Tremor and put a deposit on a Scout Kenai Camper. For starters we are planning on Firestone Airbags, and Hellwig rear stabilizer.

I would be curious if anyone had ideas/experience around tie down points for the truck bed floor for slide ins?

Thanks, appreciate it!
At 1300lbs dry I'd recommend trying the camper in the truck without modifications. My NorthernLite weighs 2800lbs dry and is right on the edge of requiring airbags, stable-loads or a sway bar. I think you will find your truck more than capable of handling the load without any add-ons.

As for tie-downs, it sounds like the Scouts are designed to use the in-bed stock tie down points. Doesn't look like a frame mounted tiedown system like the torklift is required.

Anyone have any setups with the Tremor and larger camper, while towing a large boat (around 7k lbs boat + trailer)? That will be my set up here soon. Currently have airbags, the SuperHitch installed, super truss extension, and just ordered the Hellwig 7320 because I have a feeling it will make life easier. Just curious how the Tremor handles with the proper addons.

Anyone have any setups with the Tremor and larger camper, while towing a large boat (around 7k lbs boat + trailer)? That will be my set up here soon. Currently have airbags, the SuperHitch installed, super truss extension, and just ordered the Hellwig 7320 because I have a feeling it will make life easier. Just curious how the Tremor handles with the proper addons.
You'll probably be over your payload. Most larger campers will be close or over payload once you put your gear and water in them. Then you have the tongue weight from the trailer.

Thanks, appreciate it!
Just picked up our Kenai and will gladly share what I learn. I'm kind of a "adjust as necessary" guy, so we're running stock suspension for now!
DSC03472-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMG_4255.jpg

We love our Northern-Lite 8-11 on the 2020 6.7 Tremor. Did add airbags and sway bar just for added stability. Great rig. Although we MIGHT be selling it in the future. Moved to a retirement community and it's been in storage with minimal use for the last nine months. Having too much fun golfing lately LOL

You'll probably be over your payload. Most larger campers will be close or over payload once you put your gear and water in them. Then you have the tongue weight from the trailer.
I'm pretty close on the payload and I don't put fresh water in the camper for the most part, especially when boating (sites have full hookups), and put most gear in the boat to keep it off the bed. Just curious if anyone has any nice setups to report handling feedback with this kind of setup.

Just picked up our Kenai and will gladly share what I learn. I'm kind of a "adjust as necessary" guy, so we're running stock suspension for now!
View attachment 120642
Ours is 1250# dry, truck is stock and I have no intentions of modifying.

Attachments

• IMG_6585.jpeg
    IMG_6585.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 56
Back