Cab Clearance Lights, are they really needed?

So, I had no idea these things had any practical purpose. I thought they were purely cosmetic.

It turns out, they’re required by law for any vehicle that’s more than 80” wide.

The Tremor is 79.9” wide.

TIL
Yep, this is why Raptor lights are a thing on the Raptor. Legalities, not looks. Though Ford did a good job placing them so they look cool.

The wider track Of the Raptor puts it over 80” wide, so it needed clearance lights. Ford opted to put the center three in the grill, and then the outer ones are on the fenders as they need to be at the widest point of the body.

I like the extra lights when I pull up to a job site early in the morning when it’s completely dark outside. Makes the truck more visible. Especially when there is uneven ground and the headlights and side markers are blocked or below grade.

Get some blacked out type, such as Recon. Be for warned that the Recon brand may cause interference with your tire pressure monitoring.
I've heard pretty much any after market lights are causing problems one way or another. I do like the look of the smoked out lights but will deal with what I have so I don't create any problems

No, you're not crazy. They're not needed, even for wider wheels.

I had them on a King Ranch. Made me hate looking at it in the dark. Every time I walked up, I thought, 'I can't believe they charged me ninety-five bucks to make this thing look like a trash truck'. Never again.
Thats funny, only reason I got em was because I liked the way they look

I actually like that they are clear colored until they are on. Black or smoke would be cool but I’d rather have clear than amber when not on.
I like the clear too, smoke would be even better

I've heard pretty much any after market lights are causing problems one way or another. I do like the look of the smoked out lights but will deal with what I have so I don't create any problems
It's actually pretty simple, just don't drive with your lights on at night and you won't have any problems with your TPMS! It's way more important to look cool than to be safe.

I am not a fan of the old amber bubbles but with the clear on white you can barely see them during the day. When they are on on top with Amber fogs from baja and the the stock running amber lights in the headlights and mirrors there is an amber outline of my truck top to bottom left to right and i like the look

I specifically didn't order them on mine, completely shocked the salesman.

I definitely don't think they look good, especially on a blacked out Tremor. There's also roof penetrations which can lead to leaks and I plan to own my truck long term.
I had the same experience. The salesman asked me something like 3 or 4 times if I was sure I didn't want them. He said they always order them by default because, in his opinion, it has a big effect on resale value (which I kind of doubt). He made sure to let me know that I could change my mind in the next couple of weeks if I wanted to, which I'm not.

-SR-

Bought my F250 for towing.
I like having them and looking at them.
20210803_133728.jpg

I specifically ordered mine without the cab lights and the oversized moonroof, which is terrible when it is 100+ degrees in Texas. My salesman was shocked, but I did not care... ;)

I liked the grille mounted lights on my Raptors, but I still would not add the Raptor style lights to my Tremor, as that would be "tacky".

If the rule is 80" and our trucks are 79.9, as someone mentioned above, my front wheel stick out more than .1", so technically, I need them to be legal. Haha!

Tremor-Wheel-Poke-Front.jpeg

Back